Post your Christmas covers

Hey that sounds like a better option. I guess you have some pretty good video editing software?

2 Likes

Yeah must be the amp :confused: I have my treble around 75% and bass around 50%. Anything higher on the bass makes the amp really fuzzy (it’s a tiny practice bass amp)

1 Like

I use Divinci Resolve now, but I did it when I was using Premier Pro also. Most decent VEs have autosync, but it can be done manually also (with a little effort).

2 Likes

Yeah I might have to think about some flashier software next year. It would be nice to do some split-screen effects…

2 Likes

Overlays are even better :smile_cat:
Did you see my “Have yourself a merry little Christmas” video? That was done with overlays.

2 Likes

Oh that’s cool :+1:. I guess there’s one of you on the piano, one of you on the bass, one of Sara signing, and the background and everything is mixed together? that’s a way higher production value than my efforts. You should think about doing a director’s cut or “behind the scenes” video next time :grin:

2 Likes

Yup, each one shot on different days. The background scene is actually a park in the summertime. I “winterized” it in Photoshop. The falling snow is just another overlay. I love doing videos, can you tell? :rofl:

3 Likes

Nice! I was thinking about doing some location shooting at the park but then you get all the dogs jumping on you, kids staring etc. This is a much better option :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@PamPurrs can I do these without green screen? Assuming the camera is super super still?

2 Likes

First and only time I rollerbladed was in a park. I fell near instantly and kids laughed at me. Sold the rollerblades the next day.

Stay home, play bass. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m rolling on the floor laughing just visualizing it @John_E :rofl:

1 Like

I honestly can’t think of a way to do it realistically without a green screen. But perhaps there’s a way to do it that someone more knowledgeable than I might be aware of.

1 Like

Must have been the dayglo headband and lycra leggings :wink:

Definitely :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Regarding John E’s cover of Lenon/Yoko song, and the simple bassline…

There’s an interview of Tony Levin from NPR from some years back - long form, maybe 30 mins or more. Pretty sure I heard on NPR…
He talks about his time with John Lennon and when they first met. Tony was already quite accomplished, playing with Gabriel, etc. So he comes into the studio and John doesn’t seem to know much about Tony (he didn’t say that, but that’s the sense you get), and he tells Tony something like - ‘don’t play too many notes’
There are several good stories in that piece, including how Tony says he was in the process of talking John into touring, and that he pretty much won him over, and then John was killed…
Anyway - the thing about telling a studio bass player to not play too many notes - that (and the touring thing) is what stuck with me for the ~10 years since hearing that interview. I wish I could find it. The statement has so many levels and meanings, and speaks to the role of a studio bass player. And - maybe it has something to do with the bass line for this song. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Follow the chord progression and adhere to the rhythm. Throw in some fills along the way. Thats the job of the bassist. The rest is all self-serving fluff.

3 Likes

Since it is a bass forum,
This one formed itself…, rocking jazz prog?
Walkin in Eden…me on my old Travis bean

Lots of great players here…
My 2 cents is seek what you hear inside and want to say…
If it’s pretty it will be major, if its dark it will minor in some form, so instead of just practicing riffs and theory, which is great, pick out something that’s you…because in the end, the only difference between musicians is what drives it from the inside

Merry Christmas
John layne

Wizzard: I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday.

• Cribbed from some dodgy tab a couple of days before filming (some parts are wrong).
  • Sixteenth note triplets (!) in the choruses - I shoulda practiced 'em harder.
  • I goofed up the ending big time.

Oh well - Merry Christmas everybody! :santa: :metal:

https://youtu.be/vcE9qfpxqOc

9 Likes

Well, I enjoyed it! Kudos and Merry Christmas!

4 Likes

Nice @sfadams ,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

It’s a good effort, thanks for sharing it, I appreciate the humour :slight_smile:

You might want to check your tuning… you can mess up a lot of things and be OK but you should always get the tuning right.

3 Likes