Post your Christmas covers

Hiiiii here’s my contribution. I’m kinda embarrassed to post it because I’m not that good, but I wanted to challenge myself to contribute so here I am. :grin: hope you guys at least get some laughs out of the video!

https://youtu.be/jgmGhBr9-RY

12 Likes

Hey @xtrixart - great job!
Don’t ever put down your playing, just play…
Your playing was great.
The mix was out of whack but I suspect that is just in how you recorded it, but it doesn’t matter.
Glad you got on board the Christmas train, and good to see another NY’er on here.

Keep it up, you are doing great!

3 Likes

Thanks so much John! I know that I’ll inevitably get better. Some self-deprecating humor is usually how I take the edge off lol.

Cool to see another NYer here too!

I did struggle with recording this, had to do multiple takes because I couldn’t line up the music audio with the bass input :frowning: Once I get the funds, I think I’ll buy the Nux Mighty Plug.

2 Likes

I am going to sell mine, as I just got the Boss Waza.
Private Message me if you are interested.

3 Likes

@xtrixart thank you so much for contributing to the xmas cover thread. Your humor is appreciated as well :smile_cat:
You did just fine! Keep on keeping on!

3 Likes

Very nice @xtrixart ,
Great technique with both hands​:+1::sunglasses:,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 ! I really need to work on my left hand, the wrist angle is so tight :frowning: Seeing a video of yourself really brings to attention all the areas that could be worked on!

2 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs !!

2 Likes

Hey don’t put yourself down so much - that was a solid effort :+1:. The mix sounds a bit weird but kudos for attempting Last Christmas :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t resist attempting Merry Christmas Everybody! Full disclosure - I recorded the version before I did the video so there are a couple of pretty obvious fudges on display. Still, close your eyes and it goes pretty well :grin:.

Again the hero of the piece is the Hofner, which I thought was perfect for the sound. The track was recorded through the Fender Bassman sim on the Zoom. I was thinking about using the Ampeg but the Fender had the edge imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpEjncL9bE

10 Likes

Awesomeness @Ed !

Considering every professional musician who ever made a video does this, I don’t think it’s such a big deal, its the norm! Movie magic!

3 Likes

Splendid @Ed ! Your Hof sounds great and you did a great job on this cover! Gotta love those small but mighty Hofners. I rarely practice or play anything but my two Hofners these days.
Thanks for contributing to the Christmas cover thread!

3 Likes

Great job @xtrixart ! Your tone was a bit different, but I thought it was a great performance. Thanks for the humorous intro.
:+1: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Very nicely done @Ed ! As Pam said, the Hofner sounds great!
:+1:

3 Likes

@John_E Hehe - to be honest the hof wasn’t even plugged in during the vid :grin:

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: My hof has really grown on me - probably most of my noodling sessions are on it these days because it’s so comfortable. And the neck dive has more or less been solved by tucking the strap into my belt :+1:

Thanking you kindly :grin:

3 Likes

Ha! Nothing terrible about that. As @John_E pointed out, most (if not all) music videos are prerecorded prior to the video shoot, it’s quite normal.
What I do though, is record both the audio and video together, and then use the audio from the video to sync it with the prerecorded track in my video editor (autosync is a godsend). If the audio track from the video is better than the pre-recorded one, I use it, if not I can use the prerecorded one. Optionally, I can punch both tracks in and out during post-production to get the best of both tracks into one final track.

4 Likes

I think a lot of us will welcome Part 2 of the Recording Yourself thread you and @John_E are doing in January covering Video and mixing everything together. Can’t wait to see it.

3 Likes

Nice job @Ed ,
the bass sounds cool,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry! What do you mean by ‘different’? I wonder if it has to do with my amp, I had to turn down the bass and boosted treble (on my bass) because it was really fuzzy sounding. (There’s no EQ on the amp)

2 Likes

It sounded like there was a lot of treble on it (I listened again). I have a Ray24CA (butterscotch) and I guess I’ve never heard that before.

2 Likes