Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks, Jamie! I look forward to performing it :smile:

6 Likes

Beautiful song @TNKA36 Brian. I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Nice and smooth, Brian! I haven’t quite kept count, but aren’t you not just covering a song, but in reality an entire album?? I don’t think I will ever be able to cover an entire album of any of the people I admire!! :joy:

6 Likes

Thanks Jerry @JerryP,
It is a great song👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks Joerg @joergkutter,
Cyndi has 5 studio albums, plus a live album recorded in Sydney.
I would love to cover all her songs someday :+1:that would be really cool​:sunglasses:.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Well @terb, I have finally come out of my shell and will post a cover on your thread. I know it’s been over a year since you started this thread, but I just haven’t gotten around to it. Plus, I don’t think most people here like the same music I like.

Anyway, last night I was driving home from a dinner and listening to Pandora when the song “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5 came on. Most people here aren’t even old enough to remember that song, but when it was on the charts, I was in a hot relationship and this was our favorite song.
So, today, I downloaded the song from Amazon, got the chords from Chordify, and away I went trying to improvise a bassline to it. After a couple dry runs, I fired up the record button on Reaper, and did my first take. I figured it would take several tries to get a halfway decent recording of it.
Much to my surprise the first take wasn’t too bad, so I decided to just go with it. It’s very minimalistic, nothing fancy, and not trying to dominate the song. As my bass coach always told me, “serve the tune”. That’s what I did. I realize I could probably come up with a more creative bassline if I spent more time, but to be honest, I’d rather just get back to practicing and improving my technique.

If it matters, I played it on my Yamaha BB735 with tapewound strings.

(Unfortunately, Soundcloud removed it within minutes after I uploaded it, so I had to put it on my own website)

Here it is

13 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs,
Congratulations on posting your first cover, very nicely played, great tone that worked really nicely with the song👍
I had heard the song before , didn’t know the artist🤔
I do now😎
Well done, looking forward to some more into the future.
It is a good way to demonstrate our progress :grin:
It’s kinda like rewarding yourself for all the hard work.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thank you Brian @TNKA36 that means a lot to me.

6 Likes

Very nice bass cover and I always liked the song (yes, I’m old enough!)
Especially impressive in view of this (it usually takes me several days to rehearse a cover):

6 Likes

Congratulations Pam @PamPurrs. Great first cover and the start of many more. Good tone and recording.

5 Likes

Another great one @TNKA36 Brian! Glad to see you take a bit of a jump on production also​:+1::+1:.

6 Likes

Thanks Bill, @Lanny,
I’m enjoying experimenting with iMovie to create something special.
This song is special to me and wanted to make it stand out in a respectful way to Cyndi👍
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

A very good cover @PamPurrs Pam! Congratulations on posting your first! Great tone out of the 735 with the tapewounds, and the bass line you played fit the song like a glove. It’s great to be able to hear a song that you like and then pick up an instrument and play along to it…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Awesome cover and tune, well played!

6 Likes

Cool cover @TNKA36. I reckon I’ve heard that before but maybe not with Cyndi in vocals? Or maybe not. It’s really foxing me atm.

Awesome first cover @PamPurrs. Certainly one that will take a lot of living up to by the rest of us :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks Mac @Mac,
Cyndi wrote the song, maybe someone else did a cover of it🤔
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thanks @Mac

5 Likes

congrats @PamPurrs , I’m happy that you finally started to do covers :grin: I like this kind of minimal bass line, sometimes “less is more”

8 Likes

First, congrats on your first cover! It usually takes me weeks to feel comfortable with a song before recording…

Does this mean there is NO bassline on the original?? Or, did you want to add your own?? Also, when you say “improvise”, did you make it up on the fly as you recorded or did you have some ideas/sketches beforehand based on the chords??

9 Likes

I stripped the original bass out of the song as best I could using @terb method
By improvise, I mean I didn’t have a bassline written down or planned. I just played the root notes (according to the chords) and added arpeggios and walking basslines on the fly. It was totally improv, although I did have a couple of ideas of what I wanted to do. I practiced my ideas several times before recording.

8 Likes