Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you, @Mac, for the very kind words! I’ve been playing bass for more or less 3 months now (I bought my first bass I think 3 months ago). I’m mostly a drummer that can’t drum anymore and haven’t played seriously for more than a decade now, but perhaps the whole foundation of playing drums still helps me with rhythm to this day.

It’s funny because I’ve tried to play guitar (acoustic or electric) many, many times and all the times I failed spectacularly. I was ready to give up playing any instrument and was in a very dark place, to be honest. I spent a lot of money, was very disappointed and 100% convinced that no matter how I loved music, I would never be able to play anything with strings on it.

I then decided to trade in my Gibson SG + my Fender MIM Jazz Bass for this MIU Fender Bass that you see in the videos. I was so mad about not being able to play guitar that I didn’t even care if I was losing money; I just wanted to see this electric guitar out of my house.

I ended up loving playing bass. It feels like playing drums but with strings and plucking instead of snares and drum sticks (and I’m OK with that)!

Again, thank you for your very kind words!

4 Likes

If you care at all about other human beings (me), could you please lie about how long you’ve been playing. Thanks in advance.

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

3 months!!! I’d be happy posting a cover as good as that after well over 2 years

6 Likes

:laughing:

Keep in mind that I’ve also tried playing guitar for several months (8 - 9 months) before trying playing bass. I think this also helped immensely!

4 Likes

Sounds great @robbp nice job!

“We’re not even halfway to Connecticut yet and already you’re annoying me.” This is What pops into my head when I hear this song.

6 Likes

Good news @booker_t none of those songs on your table are on my playlist. Unless that’s ‘I want you back’ I can see half covered. In which case I did that as my 12 month playing bass cover. Sorry.

It took me a very very long time to learn it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You bastard.

Yes, that is “I Wan’t You Back” on the table. I did try it and it was very tough so I decided to wait for another day (sooner now).

Awesome job. I know that’s not “just playing the roots.”

5 Likes

Really nice @Ed! Didn’t see that cover coming :), nice smooth playing

4 Likes

Awesome cover, loving the Cure stuff. It’s also cool that you started adding the drum tracks too. I’m kind of inspired to do a guitar + bass cover now. Great playing!

3 Likes

Oh man the bridge… it was so nice, you nailed it!

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes, do a bass and guitar cover. I would love to see that.

3 Likes

Wow @robbp, great cover! Yeah definitely couldn’t play this after three months. The drumming gave you rhythm, and guitar helps with the left hand, but your plucking hand is pro and that’s you putting in work the last 90 days

4 Likes

wow, that’s some serious foam !

great cover ! but I’m wondering if you tuned your bass before or after putting the foam in place. the note seams a little bit out of tune to me.

anyway your playing level is very impressive, considering you play bass since a few months. I guess your experience with drums helps a lot about all the rythm things :smiley:

3 Likes

I did tune after the foam, @terb. Weird, with my limited knowledge I set the intonation correctly so everything should be in tune… I’m taking my bass at the end of November to a professional luthier for a full pro setup. Hopefully this will solve this issue (that my untrained ears can’t hear)! :smile:

2 Likes

maybe the original record is not tuned to exactly 440 Hz, it happens quite often with older records and it creates exactly this kind of issue. not a big deal, but it’s always good to know where this can come from !

4 Likes

maybe the original record is not tuned to exactly 440 Hz

Wow, I had no idea about this! Yeah, it can be it since I tune my bass to 440 Hz (I’m not very confident in my luthier skills too setting the intonation, but it looked right to me and the tuner after setting it! :laughing:)

2 Likes

Wow! Awesome work guys! I get on a plane for 14 hours and I miss three great covers. All of them favorites of mine (because I’m old).
@Barney , great work on both songs. I remember hearing “Mr. Big Stuff” while watching “Soul Train” on TV.
@robbp , The Temps another favorite from my youth. Great job!
:+1: :+1:

5 Likes

When I look up songs on Chordify it will occasionally pop up a warning that the song is not tuned to 440 Hz.

Mainly older songs. It works by listening to the song from YouTube and then creating a chord chart. So it must recognize non standard tuning when it’s magic software is doing it’s thing.

I put in your cover song @robbp and Laurent is correct, it’s slightly out of tune.
It’s a free website but if you pay you can use all the features like the looper etc.

4 Likes

Haven’t been on here in a few months. I got COVID and started a new job… Been working on my picking and speed for a while. Decided to cover this silly punk song by a local band. They wear ski masks and all I have is my daughter’s kitty mask. Let me know how I did. Thanks. Hope everyone is well.

https://youtu.be/fOIdTn73gT8

13 Likes

Hey @Old_Noob that sounds pretty damn good :slightly_smiling_face: - picking and tone is spot on and I admire the dedication to your art with the mask :metal:Great job

3 Likes