Post your covers! (2019-2022)

:laughing:

Keep in mind that Iā€™ve also tried playing guitar for several months (8 - 9 months) before trying playing bass. I think this also helped immensely!

4 Likes

Sounds great @robbp nice job!

ā€œWeā€™re not even halfway to Connecticut yet and already youā€™re annoying me.ā€ This is What pops into my head when I hear this song.

6 Likes

Good news @booker_t none of those songs on your table are on my playlist. Unless thatā€™s ā€˜I want you backā€™ I can see half covered. In which case I did that as my 12 month playing bass cover. Sorry.

It took me a very very long time to learn it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You bastard.

Yes, that is ā€œI Wanā€™t You Backā€ on the table. I did try it and it was very tough so I decided to wait for another day (sooner now).

Awesome job. I know thatā€™s not ā€œjust playing the roots.ā€

5 Likes

Really nice @Ed! Didnā€™t see that cover coming :), nice smooth playing

4 Likes

Awesome cover, loving the Cure stuff. Itā€™s also cool that you started adding the drum tracks too. Iā€™m kind of inspired to do a guitar + bass cover now. Great playing!

3 Likes

Oh man the bridgeā€¦ it was so nice, you nailed it!

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes, do a bass and guitar cover. I would love to see that.

3 Likes

Wow @robbp, great cover! Yeah definitely couldnā€™t play this after three months. The drumming gave you rhythm, and guitar helps with the left hand, but your plucking hand is pro and thatā€™s you putting in work the last 90 days

4 Likes

wow, thatā€™s some serious foam !

great cover ! but Iā€™m wondering if you tuned your bass before or after putting the foam in place. the note seams a little bit out of tune to me.

anyway your playing level is very impressive, considering you play bass since a few months. I guess your experience with drums helps a lot about all the rythm things :smiley:

3 Likes

I did tune after the foam, @terb. Weird, with my limited knowledge I set the intonation correctly so everything should be in tuneā€¦ Iā€™m taking my bass at the end of November to a professional luthier for a full pro setup. Hopefully this will solve this issue (that my untrained ears canā€™t hear)! :smile:

2 Likes

maybe the original record is not tuned to exactly 440 Hz, it happens quite often with older records and it creates exactly this kind of issue. not a big deal, but itā€™s always good to know where this can come from !

4 Likes

maybe the original record is not tuned to exactly 440 Hz

Wow, I had no idea about this! Yeah, it can be it since I tune my bass to 440 Hz (Iā€™m not very confident in my luthier skills too setting the intonation, but it looked right to me and the tuner after setting it! :laughing:)

2 Likes

Wow! Awesome work guys! I get on a plane for 14 hours and I miss three great covers. All of them favorites of mine (because Iā€™m old).
@Barney , great work on both songs. I remember hearing ā€œMr. Big Stuffā€ while watching ā€œSoul Trainā€ on TV.
@robbp , The Temps another favorite from my youth. Great job!
:+1: :+1:

5 Likes

When I look up songs on Chordify it will occasionally pop up a warning that the song is not tuned to 440 Hz.

Mainly older songs. It works by listening to the song from YouTube and then creating a chord chart. So it must recognize non standard tuning when itā€™s magic software is doing itā€™s thing.

I put in your cover song @robbp and Laurent is correct, itā€™s slightly out of tune.
Itā€™s a free website but if you pay you can use all the features like the looper etc.

4 Likes

Havenā€™t been on here in a few months. I got COVID and started a new jobā€¦ Been working on my picking and speed for a while. Decided to cover this silly punk song by a local band. They wear ski masks and all I have is my daughterā€™s kitty mask. Let me know how I did. Thanks. Hope everyone is well.

https://youtu.be/fOIdTn73gT8

13 Likes

Hey @Old_Noob that sounds pretty damn good :slightly_smiling_face: - picking and tone is spot on and I admire the dedication to your art with the mask :metal:Great job

3 Likes

Nice work @Old_WannaBe ! :+1:

This sounds fab-o @Barney

Great tune too.

2 Likes

Nice job as usual @robbp
Great playing.

Aside from the original being off a bit, consider much narrower foam.
As you know the foam will effect tuning? But this length of it is extreme and would likely throw intonation way off too.
It doesnā€™t need to be more than 1/2ā€ wide really.

@terb @Barney - I read an interesting article that a lot of ā€œsingle versionsā€ of songs for the radio were slightly sped up from the album cuts which in turn effect tunings. Was their way of squeezing in an extra couple tunes each day on the radio.

1 Like