Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Love the gnarly tone here.
Never heard the song before, but you did a great job

You keep talking about flubs in your videos and in general I don’t hear them…therefore, they are not flubs. There was one or two in the last Cure vid but this one and prior ones - they are not noticable.

Pro tip - don’t point out mistakes and your audience won’t know about them.

WELL DONE!

3 Likes

@John_E you are too kind. I’m glad the mistakes aren’t noticeable. I know I shouldn’t point them out. I’ll do better at being more positive to myself. And maybe I should just stop making mistakes :grin:
thanks again John.

1 Like

Man, apply for a liquor license and you’re in business :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E :slight_smile: You know what we need - a bass lending service where you could borrow a VI or Hagstrom or whatever for a day or two to do a recording. I would be totally up for that

2 Likes

It’s 1956 and on the back of the successful single Tutti Frutti, the absolutely completely fabulous Little Richard was looking for his next single. This is it, Long Tall Sally. Sorry Beatles fans, not the version you probably prefer but the original and IMHO the best version :slight_smile:

Couldn’t find any sheet music for this so just made it up. It’s 12 bar blues in F and it rattles along at around 188 BPM, Little Richard probably had somewhere to be, because he’s in and out in a hair over 2 minutes.

Cheers Amigos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qV1NUjeVo

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. @maria_c this is my motivation (as per your question in another thread) find songs I like, and record them. I find it the best thing to improve my playing.

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Amp - Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex
Modulation - Retro Reel
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - HX Stomp

14 Likes

I think exactly the same.

Nice cover!! I love this song. I still need to do a cover of Slippin’ And Sliddin’ (my favorite Little Richard song).

3 Likes

Fantastic job and cool that you made up the baseline!

Well done @Barney

2 Likes

nice job @Barney

2 Likes

Second cover of the day.

I’d never heard of this song until the late 90’s when it was used on the TV show Soccer AM. Since picking up bass I’ve started reading a book on the history Stax Records. Funny how you start in one small part of the music spectrum as a teenager and end up a long way from there by your early 50’s.

This is funk/soul from 1971 and the wonderful Jean Knight on vocals with Vernie Robbins on bass. He was part of the in house rhythm section at Malaco records in Jackson, Mississippi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWH6Y9OLxkU

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020.

HX Stomp:
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic pre amp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Modulation - Retro Reel
Envelope Filter - Musitronics Mu-Tron III
Amp - MESA/Boogie Bass 400+
Fender MIM P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

12 Likes

another great cover @Barney good job!

2 Likes

Dude! This is ANOTHER favorite song! LOL, are you spying on my playlist?? :laughing: :laughing:

P.S.: the cover was fantastic. Very well played.

2 Likes

@Barney One of the songs I grew up listening to in South Central Los Angeles; and, all these years later a guy in Rossland, BC is sneaking into my playlist and tearing it up before I can get to it.

2 Likes

Here’s a cover of “The Temptations - Get Ready”.

This is the first time I play something from the legendary bassist James Jamerson.

Good stuff! The chorus is fast and a little dificult for me with all the string crossing + some crazy syncopation, but (I think) I was able to handle it.

I also used the famous sponge on the bridge to try to get closer to the tone that you hear on the original song.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHAaA3824A

13 Likes

Well done and LOVE the tone

3 Likes

Long Tall Sally! That was superbly done and yes, I agree that this is the best version @Barney

Didn’t think I knew Mr Big Stuff or Jean Knight @Barney buy apparently in the depths of my memory I did. Again a great cover which I reckon was summed up brilliantly by the grin on your face a few seconds in

2 Likes

great work you guys!

3 Likes

Great cover of another classic @robbp
The foam certainly served you well.
You’ve only been playing a short while haven’t you? If so you’re a natural
You’ve definitely got a real talent there

3 Likes

Thank you, @Mac, for the very kind words! I’ve been playing bass for more or less 3 months now (I bought my first bass I think 3 months ago). I’m mostly a drummer that can’t drum anymore and haven’t played seriously for more than a decade now, but perhaps the whole foundation of playing drums still helps me with rhythm to this day.

It’s funny because I’ve tried to play guitar (acoustic or electric) many, many times and all the times I failed spectacularly. I was ready to give up playing any instrument and was in a very dark place, to be honest. I spent a lot of money, was very disappointed and 100% convinced that no matter how I loved music, I would never be able to play anything with strings on it.

I then decided to trade in my Gibson SG + my Fender MIM Jazz Bass for this MIU Fender Bass that you see in the videos. I was so mad about not being able to play guitar that I didn’t even care if I was losing money; I just wanted to see this electric guitar out of my house.

I ended up loving playing bass. It feels like playing drums but with strings and plucking instead of snares and drum sticks (and I’m OK with that)!

Again, thank you for your very kind words!

4 Likes

If you care at all about other human beings (me), could you please lie about how long you’ve been playing. Thanks in advance.

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

3 months!!! I’d be happy posting a cover as good as that after well over 2 years

6 Likes