Post your covers! (2019-2022)

yeah, I agree. depending on the foam density you can go up to 1" or 1.5" if needed, but not really more in my opinion.

oh yeah, I didn’t knew that. what’s sure is that the recording tapes at the time had not a crazy precision and also, the guys sometimes sped up or slow down the final mix to fine-tune the song tempo, but there was no pitchifter or anything so it created a shift from the 440 Hz tuning. a lot of AC/DC songs are like this, for example.

what I do when I want to record a cover of such an off-tuning song, is that I shift the song to 440 Hz with a shifter VST, and then I record with the standard 440 Hz tuning. makes more sense to me than trying to match a weird tuning.

3 Likes

That was awesome!

2 Likes

I saw one I have covered on the table as well @booker_t
“I can’t tell you why”

Cheers Brian

10 Likes

And I just watched it and I think I will do it again, lots of fret buzz and bad fingering :grimacing::grimacing:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I thought it sounded pretty good!

4 Likes

We’re supposed to be a community, but you guys are having me research tubas on Sweetwater. Seriously, I appreciate this video for a lot of reasons. It is very encouraging, and really provides motivation to try that one again and to get past page 1. I love it. I love the tone, the fretboard knowledge, your confidence, and the extra jump it gives me to get my ass off the sofa today. Lastly, I don’t have social media, and after 30 years of police work I really had no desire to interact with others, especially in a forum. To me, it seemed like a senseless thing, especially for adults. However, The videos, that you, @Reasonably_Happy, @Paul_9207, @JerryP (and like an award show- all the ones that I haven’t mentioned), REALLY are so appreciated. I am becoming a better bass player because of you all. (I won’t even go into the knowledge, advice, and suggestions that are just pure forum gold). Thanks, again. Good job on one of my favorites.

5 Likes

This sounds great and I dig the kitty mask.

My only other remark is that your left hand wrist seems pretty curved to me. Do you get a sore wrist while you’re playing?

1 Like

I agree. It’s one thing to watch a professional play an amazing bass cover with millions of views vs a cover done by someone who is relatively new to the instrument. I find it’s much more encouraging to watch someone play a song you want to learn who has only been playing a short while. It makes your goals seem much more possible.

5 Likes

i have been battling with the wrist issue since i started playing. I have short fingers. Its either play it like an upright vertically or my wrist has to bend. i don’t know how to avoid it. People say to angle the bass away from the body, but when I stand, how do you do that unless you are supporting the neck with your hand? If i rest the bass on my right hip to angle it then I am reaching out for the low frets and can’t see the fretboard. I seemed to be destined to play with poor form.

3 Likes

Don’t expect the same results elsewhere. This forum is very unique and special. Everyone helping everyone learn (and spend money). P

7 Likes

There’s the truth of it!!

If I could just get my music room to look like @John_E ‘s….

4 Likes

Thank you again for your help pointing some things that were wrong on my previous cover, @John_E and @Barney.

I decided to cover it again but now doing it right: bass tuned to 446 Hz + narrower foam.

Maybe it’s not perfect yet (certainly it’s better than the previous one), but oh well… It’s what I can do for now! :laughing:

https://youtu.be/uxAPSs2N7Tk

12 Likes

Great job @robbp ! Sounds better.
:+1:

3 Likes

Greetings all,
I’m back in NJ for a bit so I have some time for a cover. McCartney used a Rick for this song, but a Rickenbacker is above my pay grade so I used the Squire and the Zoom B1Four to try to get the tone I wanted. I hope you enjoy and as always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

19 Likes

@JerryP I love the edit of the actual band in the middle. That made me smile. That’s the first time I’ve made it to the end of a Beatles song in a long time. Well done sir!

3 Likes

Thank you much @Reasonably_Happy !

2 Likes

That’s a great cover @JerryP. The later Beatles stuff is a lot busier in the bass department than the earlier stuff for sure. Nice fretting. The thought crossed my mind that maybe @John_E could offer up his Ric and other basses as sort of a ‘post your covers’ lending library to ensure the correct tone was achieved.

Long term posters obviously get first dibs #nobadideas.

4 Likes

Thanks @Barney ! Yes, a lot more work to cover the later stuff but I try to challenge myself when I can.

1 Like

You’re scary……good @Old_WannaBe !

1 Like

@JerryP
This was really well done Jerry

I hear two things to comment on, first your run notes are a little staccato where he plays them very smoothly together, this may be why the second thing I hear is you sounding a little bit too late. Barney has pointed out earlier that sometimes playing a different note duration than the original will make it sound like the timing, I think this might be the case, playing those little runs smoothly gives a different field to the song in those parts.

You seem to lock in a little better on the timing as the song went on though. Tone was great good job again and loved the video editing. Funny, you and I must be on a similar wave links, because last night I went back to a couple Beatles tunes and decided to cover them finally after putting them aside a while ago

2 Likes