Post your covers! (2019-2022)

My next cover is also going to be a Beatles song, lol

Looks like it’s going to be a Beatles week!

2 Likes

Fantastic playing. Really, I think you completely nailed it. How long have you been playing bass if you don’t mind me asking? The multicamera and Beatles in the middle was also really cool!

2 Likes

don’t know about that!.–barely competent is more like it… took me about 20 takes over 2 weeks and i just couldn’t get it… woke up Sunday morning, grabbed a coffee and nailed it the second time. Something about a clear head and not trying to hard.

5 Likes

Thank a lot @John_E ! Yeah, I felt that this was a bit sloppy, these old fingers don’t move that fast any more. The tab I got from U.G. had staccato notes starting on bar 10. It may have something to do with it. Tone was done such: Volume 100%, Tone 25% into Zoom B1Four with amp sim SMR400 and SMR 4x10TW into Reaper with CLA-76 compressor. It sounded closest to the recording as I could get it. Always value your input! Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you @robbp ! I graduated the B2B course about three years ago. Waiting for your Beatles cover.

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned, my biggest pet peeve is poor Beatles tabs are everywhere. It’s why it takes me so long to do a Beatles cover, I’m compelled to rewrite/write the score note for note.

2 Likes

Luckily for plebs like me @JerryP who aren’t Beatles fans I didn’t notice. It just sounded great :sunglasses:

4 Likes

So @terb and the other recording gurus will know a lot more about this - but if you recorded your bass separately from the backing track. - you should be able to 1) Google the tuning of the original recording and 2) adjust the tuning of your recording to match the album. Should be able to do it in the effects section of Audacity I think (free option).

3 Likes

This entire video is kind of fun, but here’ the explanation for “juicing the tuning” for radio. Plus it has this quote, “In order to come up with a bassline so sick it breaks hard drives…” which is kind of awesome. (Entire video is about Janet Jackson’s recording of Rythym Nation which - confirmed - can actually paralyze a certain very specific model of laptop hard drive.)

3 Likes

Thanks Barney!

Great job Jerry, as always you are so relaxed, and having a blast playing.
Love it!!

2 Likes

Sounds really great @Old_WannaBe

Certainly sounds better @robbp . Still can’t get past the short time you’ve been playing!

And , last but not least, another top cover @JerryP . You make it look so damn easy

5 Likes

Yes, this

4 Likes

Thanks @T_dub and @Mac !
Toby, I hope everything works out for the best possible outcome for your situation.

3 Likes

This song is an exercise in endurance for me. I try to use a pick as often as it seems to fit the song, but I’m still much more comfortable with the fingers. This song really pushes my limits as far as speed and accuracy goes. But, like most others, this song is fun to play.

Modern English - Someone’s Calling

Been playing bass since March 2020

17 Likes

@Paul_9207 wow, well done! It does look like quite a workout for the brain and fingers. Great stuff!

4 Likes

I’m not even sure how you did that! lol
FFFFFFFF-fantastic!

How did you get the tone?

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E !

Tone is some chorus mixed in with the clean signal.

EDIT: That was only half the story, I always forget about my GB settings. One channel is mic’d and the other is DI. Then I pan one 50% to the right and the other 50% to the left.

3 Likes

I’m amazed there wasn’t smoke coming off the bridge! :fire:

That was pretty damn awesome. :clap:

3 Likes