Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hi @terb,
Great grooving along, nice and solid, I thought the mix and production was good, as usaulšŸ˜Ž
If I was critical of any part it would be in the one part early on in the song where the bass plays a bit of solo, it sounded a bit shallow?
Maybe just mešŸ¤”
The tone overall worked really nicely chugging along with the distorted guitaršŸ‘
Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve ever heard the song in my life so I canā€™t compare to anything, I just enjoyed what you played and shared.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

thanks @TNKA36 , the original mix is not very good, it doesnā€™t help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@alex.s nice one, I like that you have made the bass stand out, after all itā€™s all about the bass. Nice tone you have.
Jamie

5 Likes

Very good cover Laurent @terb. The tone sounded fine to me. Never heard the song before but it sounds good. Performance and production 100% as usual.

4 Likes

I canā€™t wait to see what the amazing stores of Tokyo have to offer!

5 Likes

I am literally scared to go look.

5 Likes

Me too DavešŸ˜Ž @DaveTšŸ‘
I hear Japan calling.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Ohhhhh, you are as bad for me as the GAS thread is to others! I used to commute there for work, but havenā€™t been since 2000. Thereā€™s no candy store like it. Itā€™s a religious experience.

5 Likes

I went back and listened again and there is a really nice texture on solo that gets buried in the mix. I like that too. Very nicely played! Thanks for the old school punk, (as thatā€™s probably my upper limit in the direction of heavy pipe death metal sludge).

5 Likes

In Akihabara, beneath the station and around it, there is a warren-like network of shops selling parts and obscure electronics stuff.

4 Likes

Akihabara Iā€™ve spent much time at. I wasnā€™t into playing when I was there, so I missed out on the bass extravaganza youā€™ve posted. If only to return with new interests!

4 Likes

I like that cool plucking hand follow-through where you draw away from the pickup. I swear thatā€™s putting some kind of crazy subtle expression in there thatā€™s really nice.

4 Likes

oh, you barely scratch the surface !

Scratch_the_Surface_(Sick_of_It_All_album_-_cover_art)

:grin:

4 Likes

From what I read, it is a solid cover as we are expecting from you :grin:

I have to rely on others to be the judges as there are sooo many videos I canā€™t see these days because YouTube and some Danish entity making sure musicians get their fair dues canā€™t come to an agreementā€¦ I will have to wait until they do and re-discover everything I missed! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Hey Dave, @DaveT,
What I was doing when playing the A to the F# section Back and forth was creating a subtle passing lead-in note and killing the note either way and back and forth to create that sound.
The tone fitted really nice with the song.
Glad you liked itšŸ‘
Yep your right we have GAS for JapanšŸ˜
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Another great cover @terb Laurentā€¦ Love the tone, and definitely one that would require a pick in order to get the tonal attack that this song requires. :+1::+1:

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever heard the song before, probably have at one time or another - just donā€™t remember since there was a time back in the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s when my kids (now 45; 45; 41; & 41) went through a period of time listening to something very similarā€¦ Iā€™m still a bit confused with it all though becauseā€¦

It just didnā€™t make any sense to me back then that their reply to both Connie and I when we would have to constantly remind them to pick up after themselves wasā€¦ ā€œQUIT YELLING AT ME!!ā€ā€¦ :grinning::grinning:ā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

7 Likes

:rofl:

thank you @Lanny , yeah this album (Scratch The Surface) is from 1994 but I knew about it a bit later, at the end of the 90ā€™s. at the time I was a teen too :grin:

5 Likes

After a couple pots of really strong black coffee this morning, I decided to put this cover togetherā€¦ Again, in two different viewing formats (.mov & .mp4).

This bass cover doesnā€™t follow the ā€œExactā€ bass line notes that were played in the studio recording from what I can hear, but is fairly close. Many of the bass notes in this song were played fairly fast and helped to offset the high string sounds of Maury Muehleisenā€™s acoustic guitar.

Croce was an expert story teller, and in this piece tells the story of ā€œSpeedball Tuckerā€, a trucker with a lead foot, a smokinā€™ fast beat-up rig, and a passion for the ā€œLong Haulā€ā€¦

ENJOY!!

25mb ā€œ.movā€ File
https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/SpeedballTucker-SD-480p.mov

45mb ā€œ.mp4ā€ File
https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/SpeedballTucker.mp4

12 Likes

Nice cover Bill, @Lanny,
Plenty of getting around the neck, easy to see you enjoy the songšŸ˜Ž
Nice tones, great production, love the grill on the truck.:+1:
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

excellent cover @Lanny , with a fast and very rockā€™nā€™roll bass line ! also very melodic and high-pitched for a bass, itā€™s close to soling sometimes :grin: very nicely played and the bass tone works perfectly with the song and the mix.

7 Likes