Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great cover @JerryP :+1:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. I just ordered a Nux. Can you tell me how you captured your video in line with the music while wearing your headphones? Thanks. Iā€™ve never done recording and trying to find a setup that works in a tight space. @JerryP

3 Likes

Thanks Lanny! Iā€™ve been working on that tune since I got here about 2 weeks ago and I figured it was a nice short song to try out the NUX as a DAI.
Those were the days when cars were cars. 450HP, 32 cents a gallon for gas, all the guys trying to out do the next guy with speed and flash. And letā€™s not forget the girls that went with the fast cars. :star_struck:

3 Likes

This is what I used: I used GarageBand to record the audio and shape the tone of the bass to something I thought was suitable for the song. I recorded the video using Photo Booth and removed the audio track from the video and then used iMovie to attach the GB audio to the video and added the title cards beginning and end.
Iā€™ve also used OBS Studio to record as well. OBS is free and works on Windows 10.
Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mac!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! Iā€™ll have to look in to garage band, I had considered using RX 8 audio editor, but if I cant get that to work I will give GB a try. My real hold back has been getting video to record, for some reason my default video capture option cuts itself off after about 2 minuets. Very annoying. But hopefully Iā€™ll have a cover or few up on here pretty soon.

5 Likes

Hah, awesome!

6 Likes

Ultimate Guitar. They are hit or miss like everything else, but I hvae found quite a few useable songs there.

4 Likes

Cool cover @JerryP
Cool song and the fact you did it in the hotel room on that neat little NU>X headphone amp is even cooler.
Great job.

4 Likes

Is the backing track any better than Songster ? The synth backing tracks on Songster are cringe worthy at times :joy:

3 Likes

Depends on the song, some is bad, some are good.

I got a Covid special for $24.99 for the year instead of $39.99. But the deal also extends to your renewal years, so for life it is $24.99 instead of $39.99.
so I signed up, and I got my moneyā€™s worth in about a week finding songs that I wanted to learn, and found good ones
then I searched songs that I knew, and found them to be terribly wrong. LOL

Not all of them, but like anything, you need to be careful and if it doesnā€™t sound or feel right, keep searching. Fortunately, there are often many versions of the same song to pick and choose from

I love that you can isolate the bass line. and when you want to play back, you can turn it off so you can play it.

3 Likes

I might have a look at it then. Iā€™ve just bought Rocksmith 2014 for the Xbox to give that a try

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes.
Do you have to purchase different hardware for each instrument you want to hook up?
could be a good way to get my daughter into learning when she is not doing B2B with me (which we are gonna start back up now we are in our new apartment, once the dust settles.)

3 Likes

Thanks Toby @T_dub. Glad to see youā€™re moved in.

4 Likes

Thanks,
It was actually a pretty quick move it. I got 5 guys helping, and we unloaded the stuff from storage i was taking, about 75% of it, and got it moved into the house, all in under 3 hours.
Of course, will be a few days getting things un packed and organized, plus going out and getting all the new things we need for bathroom / kitchen and others, but it was a pretty easy move this time, thanks god.

3 Likes

Old-school hardcore punk from NYC !

Sick Of It All - Step Down

This thing is so old-school that itā€™s in EADG ! Itā€™s a very classic hardcore punk tune, I had to cover it.

Itā€™s certainly not my best cover, and Iā€™m not very happy with the production, but this cover is mostly a test of the modded Boss ODB-3. it doesnā€™t sound very different than my previous overdriven SVT tones, probably more precise and with a more agressive edge. it sounds better than the BDI-21 in this role, which is not very suprising considering that the BDI-21 is more a full preamp than an overdrive.

For now the modded ODB-3 is probably my favorite bass overdrive, but Iā€™m not 100% happy with it, there is something I donā€™t like in that tone. maybe just a settings thing, maybe something with this particular mix, or maybe I should try other clipping diodes in a ā€œreal worldā€ situation (= in a mix and not just noodling alone). I think I have to test other bass overdrives before I make a choice. 'might order the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes clone kit tonight.

13 Likes

I think that sounded much better and not artificially fizzy like a stock one, way more subtle too. It sounded very good to me in the mix.

They have them in stock :slight_smile:

I actually had to cancel mine until I can get proper soldering ventilation sorted out in my place. I plan to order it again in a couple weeks if I can come up with a fan setup that will make my wife happy.

3 Likes

yeah itā€™s way better than the original but I donā€™t know , there is something in the low mids. itā€™s possibily something with this particular mix, because I like the way it sounds alone (like during the short intro).

they have one less in stock now :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Yay! Hopefully I can get things sorted out here this weekend and reorder. Looks like a fun kit.

3 Likes

yeah, it would be pretty fun if we both build one :slight_smile:

(also I ordered back the component I destroyed this week-end, to hopefully finish the GK preamp)

4 Likes