Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks Brian @b.s.excavations… Always easier to cover a song that you enjoy! And yes, pretty much used up most of the fretboard real estate plucking that one out!:smiley::smiley:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Thanks Laurent @terb… Years ago when I was fully into playing acoustic guitar (finger style), I use to play a lot of Croce’s music, so the style is fairly familiar for me to naturally play my bass to.

The biggest difference between playing my acoustic an playing my bass is that I really have to focus more on effective muting since the notes are played at a very fast pace which on a bass can result in a muddy mix. This is evident in my cover where between either the 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd verse after the chorus instead of sliding to 12 to play the short interlude, I stayed below 7 and played it at a lower octave where I could not control as well the muting on the lower octave strings… Just a bit muddy there, but I decided to go with it anyway…

The pot of coffee this morning did help allow me to play a bit faster - as did playing it several times at 110% speed prior to recording - but the quick action and aggressive attack on the strings sure takes its toll on my arthritis… helps remind me why I quit playing guitar and moved to bass…:smiley:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Great cover Bill @Lanny! Another Croce song I never heard before, but I like it. He always has great “story” songs. Tone sounded perfect to me. Good job!

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP Jerry… His story telling using Haiku style of writing is what he was best known for.

3 Likes

Wow, what brand of “coffee” are you drinking?? If it can make me play that good as well, I’ll order a few bags of it, and have Speedball deliver it asap :grin: (That’d be a “long haul” for him!!)

Good stuff - I daresay you “guitar-players-turned-bass-players” seem to have an edge getting the hang of playing like that compared to us who previously have played drums, sax, keys or nothing at all!! Well done!

11 Likes

Hahaha​:joy::joy: @joergkutter Joerg!!.. Years ago when I was in the Navy I learned to drink the cheapest, strongest, nastiest, oldest, straight from the pot coffee that was guaranteed to not just keep a person awake during a three day underwater offshore operation, but could also be used to lubricate the packing glands of periscopes and propeller shafts; remove well cured red-lead paint from engine-room deck plates; and when mixed with the other popular drink aboard the boats (we called it “Bug Juice), could be sprayed throughout the berthing compartment in order to ward off the spread of cockroaches and body lice (crabs)…

So, for me, it’s the cheapest, nastiest, most bitter tasting cup or two of black mud that can be swallowed at 7:00AM,… used as a soup base at 12:00 Noon,… and finally, served as a spread over toast for dinner (Somewhat similar to Austrailia’s “Vegemite”)… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

:joy:

6 Likes

Oh, man, @Lanny, that seems a rough price to pay for nimble fingers and steady grooves :joy:

8 Likes

Forget all the boutique pourover stuff. This is how you can tell someone that really loves coffee.

8 Likes

Hi, this is Sathya here. I recently published few bass covers on youtube - sharing link for two of them. The Unforgiven 3 and the second one is an Indian song in a language called Kannada. This song is an old one but has a beautiful melodic kind of bass. Comments/critiques welcome!

7 Likes

Bass cover of The Unforgiven 3

8 Likes

Second bass coverhttps://youtu.be/oa5EEbuizP0

8 Likes

hey @sathya , great covers ! nice relaxed playing and also nice tone

3 Likes

Sounds good! I’m so impressed you didn’t let the surprise discovery of a person over your shoulder distract you at all!

7 Likes

Hey Bill, @Lanny,
Ain’t nothing wrong with Vegemite.
Puts a rose in every cheek​:joy:. :rofl:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Both covers were very well done @sathya. I enjoyed them.

8 Likes

Nice job @sathya,
Enjoyed it, nice tone and some excellent transitions around the fret board.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hey @sathya,
Just watched the second cover, really nice tone, I probably enjoyed it more than the first one👍
Nice work around the fretboard
You had a great audience in the background :joy:.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thanks Dave. Well, that person is my daughter and it looked kind of spontaneous!

5 Likes

My daughter - pulling some faces!

Thanks

6 Likes