Post your covers! (2019-2022)

So nicely played @terb Laurent. It would have been so easy to over play that song but you nailed it. Really nice tone from the green stick too.

7 Likes

thank you all for your kind words :grin:

9 Likes

edit: replaced with updated version :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/NihvjUurwLk

This is my cover of Gary Numanā€™s ā€œDown In The Parkā€. Me on bass. Also me on everything else, I made it from scratch :slight_smile:

Drums: Steven Slate Drums 5
Synths: Me playing through Kilohearts Phase Plant. The pad and outro bells are stock patches, I made the synth lead sound from scratch.
Voice: Synthesizer V, Eleanor Forte vocaloid, with a phaser on it. The song is from the perspective of a dystopian future machine-person, so I thought a vocaloid would work well, and the phaser gives a cool She-Threepio kind of effect.

Everything is tracked up and mixed down in Reaper.

Being self-critical, I have lots of comments about it, but Iā€™ll wait to hear others before I make them :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Iā€™ll jump in first here with a disclaimer - I donā€™t know the original by Gary Numan. But this is so damn cooool!!!

Iā€™m way down with this full synth robo-tron goodness.
Bravo, and do more, I say.

8 Likes

Thanks!

The original is an electronic music classic, it was the B-side to ā€œAre Friends Electric?ā€, his first single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C86Q9FukYE

8 Likes

Okay Iā€™m officially blown away ! :scream: @howard
The bass is just right in all aspects but to have then recorded everything else is just something else,next level .
If that was me Iā€™d be shouting it from the rooftops. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Fabulous! Love it. The keys in particular seem right on point to my ears. Well done.

7 Likes

Great cover @howard,
Iā€™m a big Gary Numan fan, so I know the song and I think Gary Numan would really dig this coveršŸ˜Ž
One word ā€œSENSATIONALā€
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It means a lot coming from you folks.

Iā€™ll still hold off a bit before I savage it with self-critique :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi @howard,
The only thing I can pick up is a little bit of the vocals not being in syncšŸ¤”
And I am being very picky, Iā€™ve listened to it at least a half a dozen times, I love itšŸ‘
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Iā€™d be interested in what you think youā€™re not happy with :thinking:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

So thatā€™s the first thing. Specifically the final verse, the last set of vocals is for some reason out of sync and itā€™s driving me crazy. I think there are some phonetic cases where the software struggles. Iā€™m going to have to play with that a bit.

The second is the drum track. Itā€™s a very vanilla nailing of the main riff but it needs a lot more work. Like fills. Or for that matter, any variation at all.

The third is I need to adjust my yamahaā€™s action a bit if I want to seriously play it with a pick like that. Itā€™s ubergrowly, and not quite in a bad way, but almost. Luckily thatā€™s a bit hidden in the mix.

I was also somewhat sloppy with some of the synth playing, specifically in the pad. Itā€™s actually visible in the DAW even in the videoā€™s zoom level. But it added humanity so I left it. I did have to quantize the crap out of the synth lead riff though, to the point that itā€™s more programmed than played, really. Iā€™m out of keyboard practice and wasnā€™t up to that kind of stretch of 16th notes.

But overall I am pretty happy with it :slight_smile:

And thanks again!

8 Likes

Also, if anyone is interested, this song was super tricky to figure out. It changes keys in three positions verse to chorus and back. Not in the sense of a chord progression, but it changes actual key signatures. Plus has a little chomaticity, though I added some of that (the walk-up in the bassline, etc).

It sounds simple but itā€™s not a simple song at all.

7 Likes

Hi @howard,
None of Gary Numanā€™s stuff is straight forward,
Thatā€™s what makes it different from the the stuff that is being put out there now, IMO nothing compares to his original stuff.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Agree, so much of his stuff is great. It was massively ahead of its time. I remember at the time, everyone had heard ā€œCarsā€, but that was about it. I didnā€™t find out more about his stuff until the late '80s.

6 Likes

Hi @howard,
Iā€™m working on ā€œAre friends electricā€ have been for some time, still not where I would think is worthwhile posting as a cover.
Getting close, canā€™t wait to finish it and share in Gary Numanā€™s great music for all :sunglasses:

Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Great song, I love what he does with the spoken part in the middle live now.

6 Likes

I am waiting in anticipation for my DVD of his new dvd , ā€œI am ruinā€to turn up, it is awesome, with his daughter singing on itšŸ‘
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

F-ing nice @howard, but I think you know that already. Would work very well as a soundtrack for a futuristic dystopian cyborg drama flick (Just what Gary would have wanted way back when he did it). Great DAW work mate.

8 Likes

Excellent job @howard! Iā€™m not familiar with the band or the song but I really admire all the work it must have been to put that all together.

ē“ ę™“悉恗恄恊悁恧ćØć†ć”ć–ć„ć¾ć™
Subarashī omedetōgozaimasu

7 Likes