Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice work Howard @howard,
Love your mixing and production :+1:
Cheers Brian :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Very nice Laurent @terb,
Nice laid back track, loved your audience just sitting enjoying your playing.
All the best,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Some real nice covers here the last few days (again) - you can tell that a lot of effort went into them! It is really interesting to see how the “level” of the covers shared here is constantly increasing.

While this should motivate some of us more “experienced” Buzzers to up our own game, it hopefully is not deterring others to post their very first cover attempts!! Just go back in time in this thread to see some of the earlier attempts by now famous “cover influencers” :grin:

The first cover is often the hardest, in many ways!

12 Likes

well said @joergkutter :slight_smile:

very impressive cover @howard , I really love your full-cover thing, and doing all this with you long-time friend certainly makes all this even better. great work on every track, and on the mix and production !

9 Likes

Thank you!

@joergkutter that’s a really good point and I hope no one gets discouraged from posting cover vids. Working on these is a really hard and rewarding process regardless of the level of the cover, and great practice - maybe the best practice possible, really. It incorporates a lot of song analysis, figuring things out, learning by both experimentation and emulation, and the learning that comes from that. I am constantly impressed by the progress people display here (usually much greater than my own) and that is because they had the guts to post covers all along their path.

11 Likes

Nice comment @joergkutter. It’s easy to forget that this is mostly a beginner’s forum. Sometimes we get a bit “caught up in our own shit” .

10 Likes

I agree with what others have said in the past few comments, regarding the level of the covers increasingly rising. To those who are bashful about posting their first cover, don’t be. We are a very supportive group and will only help you to improve and encourage you to move forward. As @howard reminded us in his comment, learning songs and recording yourself playing is the absolute best form of practice and development. I practiced diligently and took one class after another for a year and a half, but I feel that my development as a bass player skyrocketed once I started recording covers.

So my message to all the new Buzzers: DO NOT HESITATE TO RECORD YOURSELF AND POST IT HERE. WE ARE ALL YOUR PERSONAL COACHES.

11 Likes

First time attempting to record something. Pretty basic, and a few mistakes, but I’m reasonably happy with how it turned out.

https://youtu.be/PkVnsL-CUnU

16 Likes

@Liffguard Nice 3 finger plucking!

I like this song, I wish I could hear it better though.

You did a good job with this Flea song :clap:

6 Likes

Good job @Liffguard! I thought the tone was good as well.

7 Likes

Hi @Liffguard,
Nice first up cover, you looked relaxed playing, besides a couple little timing issues towards the end I thought you did a great job, tackling any of Fleas bass lines is setting a high standard.
Look forward to seeing what your next offering is.
Cheers Brian :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great song choice @Liffguard. You get to play all over the fretboard and you did a really good job. Your plucking and right hand technique is strong.
The only thing I noticed in the song that could use improvement, is the transition from down in the third position back to the first position. A couple of times i heard string scratches when transition back down (up to the headstock from the body) the neck.
But even that is passable, in a song that would be played in a loud environment, most would never notice. It is something to work on, but it did not take away from how well you played tgat songs chugging sometimes with 3 fingers, for almost 4 minutes.
Great effort, I cant wait to see what you do next.

7 Likes

Excellent!

7 Likes

very nice cover @Liffguard , especially for a first record ! the song is not very easy, and in my opinion the rare mistakes you made are really not a big issue.

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Despite what my miserable expression might imply, I found recording a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to my next project. :grinning:

9 Likes

So are we…

6 Likes

You did a great job on that didnt look easy either.

7 Likes

This is my last cover of 2020, and it’s fitting that the title has the word “Crazy” in it.

This is a 1980s song written by Freddy Mercury, but has the feel of a 50s song. It’s common belief that Freddy wrote this with Elvis in mind.

With that said, I decided to make my video in a vintage black & white style. Be sure to stay for the Bogart and Bacall love scene at the end.

Enjoy *** Crazy Little Thing Called Love***

16 Likes

Enjoyed that thanks… Great playing and absolutely love the video… Your upping the bar doing your own music videos to the covers. Really good.

6 Likes

Thanks @locket

5 Likes