Post your covers! (2019-2022)

It’s possible but probably not legal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Try this app (it’s pretty impressive IMO):

7 Likes

I have run songs through RX8 to remove the bass as a favor a couple times, but I don’t want to get in the habit of doing it and posting them for everyone to use. As @Noisembryo pointed out, it’s borderline as to it’s legality.

2 Likes

How does RX8 work, and is it a free program?

4 Likes

LOL

3 Likes

I got it on sale for $300

4 Likes

longer answer, it’s a postproduction tool that can be used to repair, tweak, or enhance audio. It’s part of iZotope’s music production suite, and also available separately.

You can also use it as a plugin too (it has some sub-functions that are useful, like its breath control) but those are mostly covered by iZotope’s other plugins.

And no, it’s not free :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know anything about it. That Moises one is free, I am using it right now on my own song (no legal issues) will come back around and see how it works.

5 Likes

Yep. There’s a small monthly/annual fee if you want full functionality (add a click track, ability to change keys, etc.), but the freebie gets you what you need to remove the bass track. Best of luck with it.

7 Likes

Yeah, if it works, and you just need to strip bass, it’s likely a way better idea at this point than buying RX8 to just strip bass.

6 Likes

RX8 is worth every bit of what I paid for it. In addition to stripping the bass, I can also separate each element of the song and create separate tracks for the bass only (for transcription purposes), or the drum track to help me get the groove. I can put the drum track in reaper turn up the volume, while lowering the volume on the rest of the song. This helps me to latch on to the drummer when I’m practicing the song, or even when I’m recording it.

3 Likes

Well…here is a file Of my song, has fun bass, bass “removed”. It is trebly on the strumming parts so didn’t remove that well. But if someone wants to try to cover it…here it is
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbGvn4jUY4IwTiccsdc8h8fo5SavlgQ9/view?usp=drivesdk

Along with the tutorial on how to play it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OjE2vnb_trda1QgcVK8Dlr0WRPh80j4/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes

It worked pretty well, I’ll try it on a cover, just not sure what to cover…

2 Likes

Oh RX8 is an amazing tool.

The “to just strip bass” there in my sentence is the important part. If that’s all you want it for and someone comes out with a free alternative that works well, it would be a bad buy. If you use more features, then RX8 is extremely powerful.

5 Likes

$300 on a non bass plugin in a secondary home studio is out of my range lol! But it sounds interesting for our primary home studio at the drummers house

3 Likes

You can actually do all of this in Moises. You can separate any recorded track into 4 stems: vocals, drums, bass and ‘everything else’, and mix the four to suit your needs (including sending the stems to Reaper, but the app works so well on your phone, it’s not worth the hassle). It’s worked on virtually everything I’ve thrown at it.

I have a cover of Foo Fighters “Learn to Fly” in the works, where I removed both the drums and bass from the track (Soundcloud won’t let me share that). I’ll add drums and bass, then post it to this thread.

5 Likes

Whhhhoooaaaa…I was seriously thinking that very song because my band covered it live before! Lol, and didn’t want to steal anyone else’s thunder as I just learned killing in the name from another conversation here

4 Likes

Also being lazy not learning a new song…

2 Likes

Go for it. If you post first it’ll give me a target to aim for!

3 Likes

Naw it’s all good, I should find one I don’t know or haven’t played before…I know most of Mellowship (in slinky B major) by RHCP, but that might be tough as my first play along to a band…I might still try it though…

2 Likes