Post your covers! (2019-2022)

sorry @TNKA36 I’ve had some technical difficulties and also a BIG lack of time, so I’m one week late to listen to your cover.

very nice and appropriate bass tone, as always. the only thing is that your timing tends to be a bit early. it’s easy to figure out, for exemple during the intro before the singing begins. anyway, good cover overall !

'hope it helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Laurent, @terb.
I will revisit and have a closer listen, could be something in the syncing??
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s a sync issue, to me it seems more like a slightly floating timing. don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s horrible :slight_smile: just trying to point out something to improve your playing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is my first cover with a 5-string. Not perfect, but made it through. A few blips and issues with plucking consistency, but happy enough to move on. Constantine did this cover a few weeks ago and I thought it was a good place to start with that extra B string. THe original track was a synth bass, so turned up the gain to try to get that sound. Bass removed from track as best I could. Went straight into the Focusrite, TRBX305, 70/30ish neck/bridge, bass rolled up a hair, trebble back a hair.
Constructive critiquing is very welcome.

I remember looking at albums in Caldor’s (old school department store in the northeast) and seeing the first Culture Club album and thinking “Who is that, she’s kinda cute”?

https://youtu.be/g0pA5b4s7WM

13 Likes

Hi John, @John_E,
You did a great job on the 5ver, nice tone and some smooth work getting around the fretboard.
Con’s stuff is really very good to use as he does great transcripts, and you can watch and learn his playing style.
I have done a few of his as well, Seasons in the sun, you belong to the city, angel of harlem, just to name a few.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

You did great @John_E, good tone and timing. You made good use of that B string. I’m sort of missing my 5ver.

6 Likes

You had a good one :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Excellent playing @John_E especially with the tricky timing of that song.

5 Likes

Great job @John_E! I haven’t heard that song in a long time. Very nice performance on the five string!
:+1:

5 Likes

Very nicely played, @John_E . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I’ll listen to it a bit later, I’m sure you did an awesome job as you always do.

2 Likes

@JerryP I’m glad you’re enjoying Reaper! You did a nice job on this cover, stayed right in the groove did it justice. I only wish you’d have cranked up the bass a bit more. Have you discovered the Volume Envelope in Reaper yet?

P.S. It’s so nice to see people continuing to post in the Post your Covers thread, despite the distraction of that first 50 songs contest that’s going on.

4 Likes

You know, on my first take I thought the bass was too loud so I mixed it down. Not being at home where I have my studio monitors to listen to, it’s harder to get the right mix. I might re-post with the first take.
Thanks for your input.

3 Likes

OK, Let’s try this again. I re-mixed the audio as per @PamPurrs recommendation.
This is a favorite song of mine from the 80’s supergroup The Traveling Wilburys. I’m using my new Squire Classic Vibe 70’s, Scarlett 2i2 DAI and Reaper DAW. Hope you all like it.

12 Likes

Very nice @JerryP I can hear the bass much better now…

5 Likes

Great job @JerryP.
Great song too!
Not often you get to play with a supergroup!
I love the diversity of music in this thread.

7 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs & @John_E! I might not have another cover on here for a while as I want to concentrate on a Talking Bass course I signed up for.
Thanks again.

5 Likes

The Scale Essential course you are taking is awesome. You will become a much better bass player as a result.

5 Likes

I need to print out the workbook which I’ll have to do when I get home. I don’t think the hotel will appreciate me using all their paper. :grimacing:

5 Likes

After you print it out, take it to a local print shop or office supply and have it spiral bound. Those TalkingBass workbooks are so very handy for reference long after you’ve completed the course.

4 Likes