Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you for the comments @JerryP

What was going on with the browsers? Is this something on my end?

5 Likes

Nice playing and great production as always, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Very nice, the tone on that ESP is good. Nice tube tone from the VT Bass DI you have going there, works well with the ESP.

6 Likes

Thanks @howard I really love my VTBass DI

7 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely a keeper. One of my favorites.

5 Likes

Awesome @PamPurrs. You continue to inspire us! I left a comment on your page too.

6 Likes

Thank you @JDDaniel :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Great job @JerryP, @John_E, @PamPurrs, and @Gabriel1!

8 Likes

No, not on your end. I think the hotel is still having internet problems.

6 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs ,
I left comments on your website,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

It’s time to get FUNKY!
Adding the gold touches to this bass just screamed funky to me, so here we go…
It is also time for Fun With Pedals!

This song is very interesting.
The bass line is only 2 bars long, and carries this song for an amazing 5:39, with only an 8-bar bridge/break. Simple but very effective. Name another tune that can do this with such memroable results!
On top of that, no basses were used on the original track, a synth was used instead, so…

I used my Source Audio C4 Synth pedal, downloaded a funky '80s synth patch, tweaked it a bit, added a little MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe and some EQ from the Darkglass B7K (bass boost, high-mids & trebble cut). I think I got pretty close to the original synth bass. (It’s almost like I actually know what I am doing…trust me I don’t).

This one was quite a workout, but a lot of fun to play!
Hope you like it!

Oh yeah, turn up the volume and stand up and boogie (roller skates optional).

https://youtu.be/ndddrvdZ3go

16 Likes

It is and I did. Very well done, as per usual :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you very much @sfadams

6 Likes

Great cover John, @John_E ,
Verdin White is a great bass player, and I loved the groove, :sunglasses:
I have a great live concert of Earth Wind & Fire,
Your bass looks awesome :+1:
Really enjoyed bopping along,
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Looks and sounds like it to me! Well played, sir. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Nicely played @John_E .
I did smile watching the video at the start as your head movements reminded me of @TNKA36 :joy:

5 Likes

Very cool, loving that synth pedal. :+1:

5 Likes

That’s just a perfect looking and sounding bass for this.

7 Likes

The last cover I did, was a milestone for me, cuz it was the first one that I did of the band that probably means more to me then any other band, The Sex Pistols.
But
I am so freaking jazzed to be playing SLAYER songs now.
This Song, the title track of the album, Seasons in the Abyss, is one of my favorite Slayer songs, behind
Angel of Death
South of Heaven
and
Raining Blood
In that order
But the song I probably would like to learn to play most, is
Jesus Saves, as it has the best intro to ANY metal song I can think of.

Anyway
This is 1/2 way done, because I want to try and edit this with video, I really want video of this song, especially.
Why
Because I am playing Slayer WITH Tom Araya’s Signature Bass
(I still think @PamPurrs, or maybe @John_E should be doing an Anthrax Cover with their ANTHRAX basses :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But, I am posting here NOW, because I am not liking the tone I am getting.
I have never recorded with this bass, or these strings, and I am not sure, but it might be the strings, and / or the bass. On the other hand, it could be my poor recording skills (Hey, I play better then I record :smiley:, not much, but better).

It is
LTD TA-FRX 204 bass WITH DR Red Devil Coated rounds
straight into my DAI, into Garage Band.
The only thing I have ON while recording on the track, is a compressor, but I am not using it for playback / export, because it boosts if more.
I tried listening to the track, before exporting with the Compressor ON, and the Gain turned down -10db from what it was at when recording, and that was better, but it still sounded better to me with the compressor OFF during playback.
That said, I still am not loving the bass tone. If it is the strings, then I will end up playing it on another bass, cuz I want to keep the Red strings on this one, AND I have a new set of strings I can throw on the Squire P bass.

Tuned to Eb Standard Eb Ab Db Gb

I missed a note in one section, and I was way ahead on one section with 2 notes, plus I got a little ahead in a few places, so timing, a little work, and technique for the note that I missed (It is a tricky one), and I will work on perfecting that when I get my tone right, and the video edited.

Otherwise, the song is not SUPER hard to play, and pretty easy in some areas, but there are some really tricky chugging riffs, with odd time notes placed in open Eb chugging, and it is really tricky to learn, but once memorized, it gets pretty standard.

This album has some other songs that will be fun to cover
War Ensemble
and
Skeletons of Society
for sure.

So, if I can get some ears on this, and suggestions to how to better the tone, hopefully, not scrapping this bass, would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance
Old file

New File

7 Likes

You’ve pretty well summed up anything I could pick up on @T_dub
Sounded good overall though :+1:
Funnily enough I have been playing a slightly simpler version than the one you’ve played on Yousician and I find some of the longer slower sections very challenging which you nailed :sunglasses:

5 Likes