Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Just listen to Dave Lombardo on that! Holy moly.

Oh yes, the bass was :fire: too. Well played Toby!

2 Likes

I don’t think it sounds bad - just thin. Maybe biased too much towards the bridge pickup? It’s got kind of that thin growl you’d expect from that. I’ve actually done this myself - forgot I had been messing with my pickups and recorded something dialed all the way one way :slight_smile:

Regardless, you played it well anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks, hoping to get a better take once I get the bass / tone fattened up a bit.

Oh, yeah, for sure. I put him on my favorite drummers list.
Thanks, hoping to get video for this one, but if I can’t use this bass, I may just move on to the next cover, I have 3 more songs to do.

Its in the middle, it’s a hard bass to dial in, it has volume, blend and tone, and the tone capacitor is either shot, or so tiny, that there is absolutely ZERO adjustment from the tone knob.
I will try to put it further back, and see, but I might have to use another bass until I do something about the electronics in this bass.
I could try to eq it in the software, but I don’t really know what I am doing at all there.

Tomorrow :wink:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that first.

4 Likes

Very well done John! Everything sounded great. Really enjoyed the choreography! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I struggle with this all the time and have not sorted out why, so haven’t recorded with compression yet much. It’s on my list of things to figure out.

Maybe try a small segment of the song with a different bass and see if you like the results better or go full or mostly full neck pickup?

I think your comments were on point though. Also maybe roll the tone off? I don’t have experience with those strings.

Sounding good though, tone dialing is fun!

5 Likes

Compression takes a while to figure out but once you do it is indispensible. Especially in mixing - I can’t imagine mixing without it at this point.

That said, @T_dub knows compression pretty well so it’s not that.

5 Likes

That sounds really good @John_E . Great moves too, you look like you’re having fun :smiley_cat:

P.S. How did you manage to get this on YouTube without it getting flagged for copyright violation? I quit posting on YT because of that.

7 Likes

Nice work, @John_E . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Some labels and artists are smart and just have copyright claim deals with YouTube, where they let users put up their music and then youtube monetizes it to pay the artist. Works great. I have copyright claims on all my covers but none have been taken down, and this is how all music you see on YouTube basically works.

5 Likes

Yep. There are some bands whose labels make YouTube completely a ‘no-go zone’. Zeppelin, The Eagles, The Beatles spring to mind. But most of them are fine for you to post - they just take the money.

6 Likes

Fuckin’ Eagles, man.

13 Likes

AC/DC as well, this is the only one I have done so far that had to go to Vimeo.

A few odd ones get banned in Iran and some other odd places.

7 Likes

I may give YT another try then, maybe with Bitch and see what happens.

7 Likes

Well, what a surprise
 I uploaded Bitch to my YT page, and when they ran the checks I got this message:

Copyright claim found. The copyright owner is allowing you to use the claimed content and will run ads on your video.

It’s refreshing to see there are some sensible people in the music industry. I am just fine (and happy) the copyright owners can get monetized by my video. I just can’t understand the ones that won’t let us help promote their music with our covers.

Here it is on YouTube. I think even the quality is a bit better than on Vimeo.

10 Likes

Sound nailed: level expert. Well done @John_E

6 Likes

@PamPurrs , that bass o’ yourn has a great sound and you make great use of it. I love flats with a P-pup.

7 Likes

Thanks @MC-Canadastan
 I have very little idea what I am doing! At work, the only big award I won was in a role that I literally had no clue what I was doing. Apparently I am an expert in things I know nothing about!

5 Likes

The Beatles, and others, weren’t on iTunes for years.
All this fighting technology makes no sense to me.
Especially now when musicians can’t figure out how to make money.
If some average Joe lunchbox wants to cover my song in his basement, and someone wants to give me money for it
well, duh! My mom has a saying
“Take the money”!

And again, F*cking Eagles!

9 Likes

I remember, for the longest time, Sirius satellite radio wasn’t even able to play Beatles music. At the same time, their music wasn’t even allowed on Pandora. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

I love listening to the Eagles’ music, but I dislike this aspect of them. However, I have to question how much is on the members of the band, and how much is on the label. My guess, it’s more on the label.

6 Likes

In the case of the Eagles, 
 it’s the Eagles.

Don Henley is really vocal about all this.

4 Likes