Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Pam’s regurgitation day…

One year ago I posted Still got the Blues by Gary Moore. It was my first video cover, and the first song I learned by ear.
I used an inferior video editor (Premier Pro), so I’m not completely happy with the quality (I use Davinci Resolve now).
I’m only reposting it because it’s still one of my favorite songs. It’s also 10 years since Gary Moore’s death, and I was thinking about that today. I just wish I had done a better job of this great song when I recorded it.
P.S. I had an easel and 2 HUGE poster boards next to my amp, with the chords and some cryptic notes written in Sharpie. That’s why I keep glancing to my right in the video. I’ve since gotten better at memorizing the songs. :smiley_cat:
This was played on my Yamaha BB735 and I used the B string extensively.
Still Got the Blues - (pampurrs.com)

4 Likes

It’s a great cover @PamPurrs
Never go back to a recording to put yourself down, only to learn from. My early ones are cringy for sure but at the time I thought they were really good.
I bet every musician old/new pro/hobbyist can critique all their playing. That’s not the game here. The game it to play and if your clever improve over time. And oh yeah to have fun.

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E . I also hope the tone of the BB735 is helpful to you as you make your decision.

2 Likes

Thanks @Al1885 ,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I cancelled the order yesterday.
Window shopping made me realize I don’t yet know what I want and am going to take my time as I only want one fiver (Vs loads more 4 strings). Haha.

4 Likes

Great cover of a great song @PamPurrs .
I’ve been a massive Gary Moore fan since his days with Thin Lizzy and I agree with you that this is a truly beautiful song. Perhaps his best if not certainly in the top 5 for me

3 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel ! I think the back lana’i is going to be as far as I’ll be able to go next time.

3 Likes

My wife recorded me playing on her phone, hence the crappy video. And I was looking at tab a lot, but I did manage to get through the whole song without my fingers falling off or catching on fire. Normal serial killer bass face.

https://youtu.be/hkloBXxbqM0

15 Likes

Nice tone and timing. Great job @JT. That’s one of my favorite Idol songs and you did it justice for sure.

6 Likes

Nothing negative there @JT … great job!!!

Always thoroughly enjoyed that song and you did good covering it.

5 Likes

Great chugging @JT ,
Nice tone in the mix and the video was pretty cool😎
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Was anyone else quietly amused and impressed with Billy Idol done on a pink bass? Loved it!

7 Likes
  1. Nice to see you again, been a while @JT
    2, Great job, seriously.
  2. You have a great wife, allowing you to play in the middle of the living room, I get to do that when she’s away!
  3. Still loving that pink!
5 Likes

Excellent! Loving the shell pink.

4 Likes

Great advice!

2 Likes

Great job @JT ! Tone and timing sounded great!
:+1:

3 Likes

HEY YOU!

Check out my first fretless attempt…
This was a lot of fun to do.
Squire Vintage Modified Fretless with Lindsay Fralin Split Coil Jazz Pickups
100% neck / 50% bridge / 50% tone - sweetened for a bit of growl with the VT Bass DI

15 Likes

Very nice work @John_E . The timing and tone are great throughout the song. There were a couple of notes during the intro that sounded like the intonation was slightly off, but that’s the peril of playing on a fretless. All in all, I enjoyed listening to it, and you did Roger proud with this one.

4 Likes

Excellent job @John_E ! One of my favorite albums - sounded great!

2 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs
I expected more notes to be out of tune quite frankly.
The tiniest bit of finger movement really matters.
I found on the slides you basically stop when it sounds in tune (or darn close).

3 Likes