Post your covers! (2019-2022)

How I have never heard of these guys is beyond me.

@Ed - what I really like about you is you really stretch yourself with your song choices. All are very technically difficult. Fantastic job on this one.

My only feedback would be to try to tame the flying fingers so you can chug even faster!
Great work man!

4 Likes

Yeah I guess I need to build up the muscle in the hand - Iā€™m relying a lot my wrist muscles to keep the speed up at the moment. I tell you though Iā€™m going to have a right hand like a bunch of bananas if I keep playing this.

Thanks :slight_smile: :+1: I keep trying stuff thatā€™s a bit above my level and I never get it 100% but I can feel the improvements laterā€¦

3 Likes

Hi Folks, not been on this thread for a couple of months and it seems like I missed about a thousand posts! Took me a long time to go through them and check out some of the covers. Amazing work by yā€™all: Gary Moore, Motorhead, Pink Floyd, Monkees, Four Non-Blondes, Chris Isaak, Status Quo (who did I miss?), all artists/bands I like and would like to have a go at playing along to! I can finally do Money from Dark Side of the Moon all the way through. Probably about the most complex things I can play as a beginner (not that it is that complex)

Anyway I have made some progressā€¦I downloaded the software that came with the Zoom U44, Ableton, both DAI and DAW work, have done a few tests. And tested filming myself with video.

So now I know I can make a recording of myself, and a video. The piece of the jigsaw Iā€™m missing now is getting the original material. A song that I decide to cover (and then strip out the bass track), and the video - as Iā€™d like to do something like Pam Purrs has done, me playing, alongside the official video of the original band playing (unlike Pam though Iā€™m not yet if the stage of going down the green screen/chromakey route)

So what I need to ask is, where can I get the source material from? I know Pam said we can get songs from Amazon, Iā€™m a Prime subscriber but not sure where in their options there is music to purchase that we are then allowed to use for our own recordings? Likewise, where so we get an official video from we can use? Again, Iā€™m happy to pay for it. Iā€™ve searched online but get hit with a ton of sites saying ā€˜music for your YouTube videosā€™. Itā€™s overwhelming.

Iā€™m not actually aiming to out it on YouTube anyway, itā€™s just for personal use and sharing in forums and on social media for friends (Facebook) but I want to stay legal, I guess even if not using YouTube, sites like Facebook still need purchased copies or a license?

If anyone could guide me or advise me as to where you get your source track you use to play bass with, and if you use original videos, where to get those from, and all legally, that would really help. As I think I may be able to record some simple bass tracks soon. Thanks :smile:

3 Likes

p.s. sorry for all the typosā€¦more coffee required todayā€¦ :laughing:

2 Likes

@MikePhil ā€¦

Songs - you will need to pay for Vs use from a ā€œsubscription serviceā€. Those are protected and you canā€™t manipulate them. If you buy the song (I use iTunes but same for Amazon) for ~$1.29 then you can use one of the many softwares to strip the bass out.

Videos - the way to do this is to use a screen grab/capture tool (canā€™t really buy them often). Iā€™ve never done this so canā€™t tell you which software is best etc but @PamPurrs can.

6 Likes

If you have an Nvidia card, then a free screen capture tool comes with it.

But there is software too, I use 4k Video to download videos from YT and Dailymotion to an MP4 on my hard drive. Then you can edit. Or I use 4k Video to MP3 to convert the MP4 to an MP3 file for a playlist.

And thereā€™s other software out there.

2 Likes

Most songs can be purchased from Amazon for $1.29 some are even less. I strip out the bass with a program called RX9 by Izotope. Itā€™s not cheap, but it does a good job. I also use it for many other audio post production tasks, but I mainly bought it for the music rebalance feature.

I host my videos on either Vimeo or YouTube and link it to my own site. i prefer YouTube, but sometimes they block them, depending on the agreement they have with the owner of the copyright. If I get a message that it will be blocked, I just cancel it and put it on Vimeo. Much of the time YouTube has an agreement wherein they will allow your video, but the monetization goes to the copyright owner, which is fine with me. Youā€™ll also notice, I always put a plug at the end of my video telling the viewer how to purchase the song, which makes my video sort of a plug for the artist and producer. Thereā€™s a grey area in Intellectual Property law (one of my favorite classes in law school), in which you can often get around the copyright law as long as you are not selling or in any way being enriched through the use of the material. Since I donā€™t sell anything on my site, and am allowing the IP owner to be monitized by my video, and Iā€™m promoting sales of the song, and most importantly am not claiming it to be my work, Iā€™m pretty much in compliance with IP law. The worst that can happen is YT is compelled to take my video down. It hasnā€™t happened yet.

For grabbing music videos from YouTube, which I sometimes incorporate into my videos, I just use screengrab software. The best Iā€™ve found is the one by Movavi.

2 Likes

Excellent @Ed ! Not familiar with the band but your playing dexterity is outstanding! I enjoyed it.
:+1:

4 Likes

Great chugginā€™ @Ed and nice finger work, especially at the re-intro mid of the song :+1:

4 Likes

very nice playing @Ed , this kind of cover is not the easy way !

4 Likes

Get out!

4 Likes

Fantastic @Ed a blast from the past. I saw them at the Isle of Man TT races in the early 90s. Thatā€™s a serious workout.

4 Likes

Go and join @John_E on the naughty step. Never heard of The Quo. The worldā€™s gone mad :grinning:

4 Likes

Todayā€™s homework for @JerryP and @John_E is to put your feet up for 3 mins and listen to a 1973 classic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4TJfEA7C3C4

4 Likes

Homework done. Never heard of that song either.

3 Likes

OK, I take back the statement that I was not familiar with the band. I looked them up and found out that I am familiar with one of their songs ā€œPictures of Matchstick Menā€, 1968 (which I have on my playlist in the car) but I am unaware of rest of their work.

4 Likes

Donā€™t feel bad @John_E and @JerryP . Iā€™m unfamiliar with most of the bands that are covered in this thread. Iā€™m stuck in the 70s, 80s, and some of the 90s and Iā€™m okay with that

4 Likes

Looks like a mainly UK band. Very very popular there. Crazy how a band around for 50 years can escape being know. By many.

6 Likes

I had a friend that was really in to them. I never really got in to them myself. One of those bands like Big Star or The Tubes that kind of flew under the radar with a lot of talent onboard.

3 Likes

Here we go. First song I figured out completely by ear. Think I got it right. Still need to work on the chord changes during the chorus. Syncopation is killing me. The band ā€œSomething to Doā€ is a Milwaukee-based ska/punk/rock band that I discovered two weeks ago after seeing them open for Mustard Plug. This song caught my attention and couldnā€™t stop listening to it.

How did I do?

8 Likes