Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great comparison @Al1885… I have to agree with @TNKA36 Brian in that I do like the tones from the Mustang better than the Sterling… To me, it fit the mix and gave the groove a bit more attitude.

6 Likes

Yes I agree as well, the great thing about that Mustang is that I can have 2 different tone without touching any knobs. It’s much more pronounced than my full size PJ. At the neck I can get warm thumpy vibe and at the bridge a twangy vibe. I can see why many people like to record with it.

4 Likes

I know Damian Erskine loves his Mustang. He used it a good bit when playing shows with different bands all the time. He claims it is one of the most comfortable basses to play.

4 Likes

Hahaha… Yup, she does like his music @LesterH brother!! Keeps wanting me to do a cover of one of his songs, but I just can’t force myself to do one… Maybe I’ll just photoshop your’s and stick my face on it and give it to her as a New Years present… :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

@Lanny haha that would be perfect anything to help your marriage lol

4 Likes

Thank you Brian! Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Thank you for that @Mac , but I hardly think so. Happy New Year!

4 Likes

When I was first attempting to play this, yes, the eighth notes were a challenge but then I remembered @JoshFossgreen 's video about plucking versus raking and I started raking the eight notes and that helped a lot.

This is a hard question to answer because I don’t really “count”. I have heard this song for over fifty years I guess it’s hard wired into my head. It seems to be more a “feel” of the rhythm and focusing on the drums. Not sure if that makes any sense but that’s the best I can explain it.
Thanks for your kind words. Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Nice work Lester! Gotta love that funky beat! Nice tone as well!
:+1:

3 Likes

Great job on both renditions. I tend to like the Sterling, but the Mustang sounds great too!
:+1:

4 Likes

What? No count! That’s amazing.

You’ve really bring out the spirit of the Beatles. I remember playing a medley in High School choirs. Now I want to do some Beatles’ covers.

Happy new year to all

5 Likes

I have been covering a bunch of songs, but this is the one i’m the most proud of. Like all the other covers, this was figured out by ear. - YouTube

11 Likes

That was pretty good, switching from pick to pluck :+1:

4 Likes

You definitely are up there imho @JerryP
Happy New Year

2 Likes

I’m kicking off 2022 with an appropriate song (I hope).

Sara wanted to sign a song with me, and this is the one she chose. It’s a very nice song with a great bassline by the late Wrecking Crew studio bassist, Joe Osborn. I created a bassline based on the chord chart, and hopefully came close to the original. There’s no way I could ever be as good as the great Joe Osborn, but I tried my best.

Trivia #1: This song was originally a jingle in a bank commercial, and went on to become a #1 hit song.
Trivia #2: Joe Osborn was asked why he kept the same flatwound strings on his bass for 17 years. His answer, ‘No one told me I was supposed to change them".
Trivia #3: (if anyone cares) The backdrop in this video is the exact spot in a park in Palm Springs, CA on which Sara and I were married 8 years ago.

Hofner Club bass, LaBella flats
Key of A Major
86 BPM

Comments and critique welcome, as always.

https://pampurrs.com/pam_s_music/weve-only-just-begun/

17 Likes

Great cover Pam, @PamPurrs ,
Great to see both you and Sara in the video.
Karen Carpenter had a great voice, and she was also very good on the drums,
Happy new year,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Yeah I did that since the final measures were in a more jazzy style so it was more enjoyable to play with fingers

3 Likes

That took me back to my childhood @PamPurrs . Beautifully played and Sara signing the lyrics was a great touch.

4 Likes

I love The Carpenters. Their music is a lot darker than it seems at first listen; some of Karen’s lyrics were deeply biting, especially looking back and understanding how troubled she was.

Nice work on the bass and video editing, and Sara was great to watch as well.
Nice double humbucker sound coming through from the Club Bass.

5 Likes

Great job as usual! I definitely intend to get some more Beatles covers done this year…

8 Likes