Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks @terb! It sure does look like that.
I really like it.
It’s got a wee bit of fret dressing that is needed, so going to try my hand at that next, but otherwise it is a great bass. The stock pickup is a Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 and it is a good one!

5 Likes

Great job on all three @John_E ! Tone was perfect on them.
:+1:

2 Likes

sure ! all the “classic” line of Duncan pickups (with the 59, SSL1 …) is a no brainer.

2 Likes

Great trilogy of works there @John_E ! Very versatile. I call it “Lord of the Strings”.

Hey that first bass (the one in Feel good inc) is hitting me right in the GAS. Is it a Stingray?

3 Likes

It looks like a ESP GB shape

gb

Probably started with the tele.

To your point, if I’m not doing covers yet, I feel wrong critiquing others attempts. I could be wrong in that position, but I just feel I lack standing or something.

2 Likes

Yep, it is an Ernie Ball Stingray Special HH BFR (Ball Family Reserve) Dargie’s Delight 3 - that’s a mouthful.
$2800 new, I nabbed it in mint condition for $1600. It is the single best built bass I own.

4 Likes

Good looking bass too! Is it full scale?

1 Like

it’s a Fender Jazzmaster shape :slight_smile: that has been reproduced in a Tele fashion for the Offset Telecaster, sometimes called a “Telemaster”.

1 Like

that is a halariously long distance between body of guitar and the string riser.

1 Like

Another 50 Song Challenge song in the bank…

https://youtu.be/X6pUhmUqRT8

12 Likes

That was great John! Both the sax and the bass were superb.

5 Likes

@John_E You are crushing the 50song challenge. I need to catch up lol. I love the sax.

3 Likes

It’s really funny. I am a huge Pixies fan so they turn up a lot in YouTube-generated playlists for me. And the version of Where Is My Mind that always gets selected by the algorithm is your cover. And I’m totally fine with that. It will happen and I’ll think “Oh hey, it’s Laurent, I should tell him” :rofl:

5 Likes

haha it’s good to know :v::grin:

3 Likes

Great cover John @John_E ,
Very cool alternating between the Bass and Sax :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Great job @JerryP “The Aloha Kid” and @John_E “The Dancing New Yorker!” You guys rock.

4 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel !

2 Likes

I finally got my Uriah Heep on with that 1972 classic - Easy Livin’. I’d been wanting to do this for a while but I was severely underlevelled. It blasts along at quite a rate and there is a really tough triplet fill in the chorus (tempo 160 bpm):

Przechwytywanie

Still, after some grinding and a litre of caffeine I more or less managed to keep the pace all the way though. For those who master Heep, the rewards are great - Gary Thain’s basslines are rock solid and filled with tons of little ornamentations without becoming overembellished - he truly is an underrated rock god. His poster now rests on my bedroom wall next to John Entwhistle’s (and just up from my shrine to Lemmy).

OK it’s not by any means perfect - next to Mr Thain, I am but a monkey wearing boxing gloves - but everything is more or less there. I’m running the T-bird through the Zoom (SMR400 emulation) for some grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQnPIOCgSs8

15 Likes

That’s a really challenging bassline @Ed and you mastered it very well! Nice finger work on both sides. Nice old rock song too.
:+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks! That triplet is a killer tho…

1 Like