Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Wow @ed. that’s nuts! Nice job taming that crazy bass line. Very impressive. I put “Flirtin’ with Disastee Aside because it was too fast but you’ve inspired me to try to kick its arse.

How long did this take you to master?

3 Likes

Wow! That was fast. Nice work on the plucking endurance.

4 Likes

Hey thanks @John_E - I think I have a while to go before I master it but I think I’m at maybe 80% after oooo 3-4 weeks? I haven’t had much time to really practise recently :frowning:

Waiting for Flirting with Disaster… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@howard Thanks! It was plucking hard work!

3 Likes

Great job @Ed ! Triplets can be tough.
:+1:

4 Likes

Oh yeah. This was trickier because you also have to rake from the 3rd string to the 2nd to keep the speed up. Or use your ring finger :slight_smile: I’m sticking to a pick from now on :wink:

3 Likes

Nice cover. Heep’s an underrated band.

4 Likes

excellent job @Ed ! a great song that reminds me Deep Purple somewhat, and an impressive bass line, you played it well !

3 Likes

Nice work out @Ed ,
my fingers got tired just watching it, great workout for your endurance :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Oh yeah - got a right hand like a bunch of bananas now :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! @terb It’s funny you mention Deep Purple - I’ve recently been going through a major 70s rock binge with both Uriah Heep and Deep Purple on heavy rotation (as well as The Doors, Zeppelin etc). I never used to be that heavily into them, but since I started listening more closely to the basslines (with the aim of playing them), I have been converted! Same with the Beatles…

4 Likes

Amazing cover @Ed . The whole thing was super well done, but the the speed and endurance especially.

3 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: Thank god it was only about 3 mins long. No way could I handle one of those Iron Maiden tracks :wink:

4 Likes

Its been a while. I slipped on the ice (while salting ironically) 3 weeks back ad dislocated my left shoulder, so I havn’t been able to play in a while. Heard this song for the 1st time in 15 years last week, so decided to do a cover. The last bar is out of synch b/c I did a little improv at the end and went earlier in the video recording than when I recorded the audio. Oh well.

I had a version with me headbanging in my daughter’s unicorn head/blanket, but my accuracy was not on point.

https://youtu.be/BwGqo3rIAo4

10 Likes

Excellent job Ed! I love that bass. Its jut too fricken big for a short guy with dino arms.

2 Likes

ow I remember this song ! at the time we all loved the guitar tone during the lead.

your cover is nice but I’m not a big fan of the bass tone, very “bubbly” in the mids. sounds like an exagerated Stingray to me. Did you use an amp sim or something ? I see the little Fender Rumble but not sure how you used it. maybe that tone is just what you wanted.

otherwise about your shoulder, I hope you’re well now … this happened to me a few times and I finally had to solve this with a surgery. now I have two huge titanium screws holding my left shoulder, it hurts a bit sometimes but it’s fine overall, and at least my shoulder has never been dislocated any more.

2 Likes

The amp was used just for the video so I could synch the recorded audio. I record into a focusrite and reaper. Its a clone MM pickup on the bass and I rolled most of the tone off and used the focusrite compressor plug-in in reaper to avoid clipping, as the pickup is pretty hot. The bass player in The Darkness uses a T-bird on the recording and I was trying to get the same type of “growl.”

1 Like

yeah so you don’t have a preamp or an amp sim at all ? it may really improve your tone ! there are plenty of excellent amp sim VST, fully compatible with Reaper

also your pickup sounds more like the two coils are wired in series, where on a MM Stingray the pickup is wired in parallel. maybe it’s an idea if you have a 4-conductor pickup.

hope it helps !
:v::grin:

1 Like

No amp or amp sim…just straight into my scarlett. I have very limited Reaper knowledge. Not even sure what VST means/is.

2 Likes

Love this song @Old_WannaBe
Nice fingerwork for sure!

Agree with @terb on the tone, but what I think would help is dropping the bass in the mix by, a lot. I think it would help a bunch if it sat properly in the mix like the original.

That pickup is hot for sure and I think still clipping quite a bit to my ears. For super hot pickups, you can help your levels coming in to the DAI and DAW if you drop your volume knob on the bass a bit too. I think that would fix 75-80% or more of the tone thing.

One thing I do (that @PamPurrs taught me) is that when you split up the original tune to take out the bass, bring the original bass into your DAW as well. I then bounce back and forth swapping out the orginal bass and my bass until they sound reasonably close in volume (and tone for that matter), then just turn off the track with the original bass. This A/B comparision works like a champ, champ!

Great playing nad still love that homemade bass!

3 Likes