Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Well, us schecter fans gotta stick together. One day they’ll run free.

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind words @dlamson13 ! The close up of the fingers was a last minute idea to break up the video a bit.

4 Likes

Thanks @Mac !

4 Likes

Our cover of Oeil’s “Myrtle”.

Oeil are a shoegaze band from Tokyo that evolved over time to a variety of styles like dreampop and darkwave/new wave. All of their stuff is incredible and you should check them out!

It might not show up in our channel yet as the video is still unlisted.

My bandmate laid down the two guitar parts and I did the bass, synth, piano, and drums. Oh yeah, there’s a bass solo, very Hooky-style, in the middle :rofl:

We did this as an instrumental because Oeil’s singer has a fantastic voice that we cannot come close to.

Gear:

Bass: Yamaha SBV550 through Kuassa Cerberus
Guitars: Gretsch 5120 through Kuassa Amplifikation Lancaster
Synthesizers: Kilohearts Phase Plant, Arturia Pigments 2
Drums: Steven Slate Drums 5
Plugins: Kilohearts Multipass with several snapins; iZotope Neutron and Ozone; MeldaProduction for the reverb, doubletracking and chorus.

Tracked and mixed in Reaper.

13 Likes

Very nicely done @howard ! I’m partial to instrumentals so I really enjoyed it. Mixing sounds spot on. Great job!
:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s f’in terrific @howard, and i mean that. I fully live instrumentals. A couple my favourites are karma to burn and pelican.
You guys are on point! Your bassline was superb.
Good on you!

6 Likes

Ooh, Pelican are awesome. I really like post-rock and post-metal.

And thanks!

4 Likes

Can you give me a link to your channel? I can’t play so much. But I’ll happy listen.

4 Likes

Sure!

The “band” is basically my bandmate from college and I. He’s kept things going this whole time, we started jamming again a couple years ago soon after I picked up bass (which dragged me all the way back in - I was originally a keyboard player, lol)

4 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:
I was gonna say “more bass!” but then I listened through headphones instead of crappy computer output speaker and it sounds just wonderful. So impressed when a thing is done and mixed completely from scratch! And great bass solo! :smiley: A++++

6 Likes

Thanks! I could probably have mixed the bass up a little and gotten away with it, yeah :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I got comments for you, too, Jerome - but I gotta catch up on the thread first! :grin:

5 Likes

No worries. Call me Jerry. Jerome sounds too formal. :smiley:

3 Likes

Okaaaay, fine. :laughing: Jerry it is! This is the song from the 80s I think @howard was thinking of:

I agree with @Mac that the variety of things you bring to the thread is great! I really like this song, and the fact that it’s a simple bass line doesn’t diminish how beautiful the song is. If anything, it backs up what @JoshFossgreen was saying in the Small Hands video - +90% of bass playing isn’t crazy technical stuff. But it should be good - and this definitely is.

I did see that white-to-pink color shift on the wall in the close-up clips. But you used just daylight? It’s so consistent, like a light flashing. Any other light sources in the room? Even something small, like on your computer?

Here’s a kinda cool image showing light color by Kelvin temperature:

2 Likes

You now have your 20th sub, and I’m glad to be him!

3 Likes

The Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
I probably should have, like, showered or at least run a comb through my hair, but I found myself with a bit of time today so I thought I’d do a quick cover. (I actually ran this one through GarageBand and stuff so it sounds a little better than when I just go with the room sound.)
I’ve always liked this song. And it’s very fun to play.

https://youtu.be/CSmSbFPJaFs

16 Likes

killing it, good timing. love block inlays.

5 Likes

Thank you @kristine ! I guess because I’m old I go for the older songs to play but I’m glad that mostly everyone seems to like my selections.
The Sukiyaki video was shot with natural light and the computer was just playing back the track so nothing flashing there. Since that video, I have replaced the lights in the room with LED bulbs so let’s see how the next video comes out.
Thanks again for your help on the lighting.

5 Likes

Enough make an old pixies fan like myself smile. Good job, you sound great!

6 Likes