Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I don’t know if we have any Status Quo fans on this forum? It’s straight ahead boogie rock. Dear old Alan Lancaster died a few years ago, so I thought I’d have a go at one of his chug chug chugging classics. He played with a pick, but my pick game needs some serious work to get up to this speed. It’s a good workout. Taken from the Back to Black album (1983), the last one Alan did before quitting the band.

Still lots of room for improvement, but happy to be able to play at least one song at 140bpm and not explode.

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNZBNvLbL4

HX Stomp
Amp - Ampeg SVt-4 Pro
Cab - 1x12" Sunn® Coliseum
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

14 Likes

Aha! I keep meaning to check that show out. Definitely a good choice of cover!

2 Likes

Hey @Barney - massive Quo fan here ! I’ve even got a cover in the pipeline …

Ol Rag Blues - one of their deeper, more introspective songs :wink: Seriously though, it’s a great to see the lesser known Quo tracks being covered - everybody wants to do Caroline or Down down… The fingerstyle works really well - actually, doesn’t Rhino Edwards play fingerstyle?

Good choice on the setup btw! I think Alan played a Fender through Ampeg

2 Likes

Superb @Barney .
Massive Quo fan here and all I can say is Alan would be proud.
Bit disappointed you weren’t legs shoulder width apart dressed in double denim though :joy:

3 Likes

The classic combination :slight_smile:

3 Likes

that’s a great chug you chugged, @Barney ! very consistant, efficient and good sounding

4 Likes

Agree, that was really great. Timing seemed spot on throughout to me. Cool song I hadn’t heard (though I have only heard a little of the Quo). Great cover.

4 Likes

Fantastic job @Barney
Never heard of the band or the tune but you killed it. Timing was great! Tone great too.

3 Likes

Great job keeping the pulse on this @Barney. Why have I never heard of this band? They’ve been around forever, must’ve been ignored in the US or something.

Completely agree, checked out the original and the way you play it gives it a fatter sound I really like.

3 Likes

Great job @Barney ! Enjoyed the song very much. Groove was spot on.
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. Hours and hours spent with the Beat Buddy set to 140 bpm just trying to relax and get into a groove.

Yeah @dlamson13 its a funny game the music business. Status Quo were never seen as cool. Most music critics disliked them. They only knew 3 chords etc. However millions of records sold and most of us would be happy to be able to play at that level.

You could argue the same for AC/DC i.e. formulaic rock but I like it.

Anyway they’re still touring, albeit 2 out of the original Frantic Four are dead.

5 Likes

Good job @JerryP

2 Likes

Thanks Pam!

2 Likes

I’ve found I really like this little guy for sax practice. I just need to create or lazily download more jazz options. What’s pre-packaged is meh at best. Net/net it’s a keeper!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s expensive, but it does one job very well.
I like the convenience of being able to stop / start with one button and the ease of changing the tempo.

Definitely helps when practicing for doing a cover.

Very happy with it.

2 Likes

Staying with Status Quo, I have the pleasure to present Living on an Island from their 1979 gem Whatever you Want, in which I get in touch with my more sensitive side, and also discover that the Rickenbacker has a bass pickup (and a ‘vintage’ setting).

AFAIK, the Alan Lancaster used a 68 Fender Mustang with an Ampeg amp for all Quo recordings. Unfortunately, I had to make do with my meagre selection of axes. The Thunderbird was too harsh, the Hofner was too Beatlesy and the Ibanez is on loan, so it came down to the Rickenbacker to shoulder the burden. With some experimentation I found that by flicking the switch up, I can use the bass pickup for a much smoother sound :slight_smile: Also the vintage setting seems to make a positive difference.

Otherwise, no effects, apart from a little compression in Audacity.

Regarding the transcription, I pretty much followed the chords from Chordify and improvised some of the fills. The challenge was to follow the rhythm and lock in more closely with the drums…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGPOZXjqYk

12 Likes

WARNING INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT…as this video shows what happens when you don’t practice!!!

A blast from the past (Module 9) with a song I felt like playing today. Need to get myself back on the horse - as I haven’t played (or practiced) in several weeks. Not sure that the slide(s) fit, but “I felt it” and wanted to add them. :wink:

https://youtu.be/ntTOczBfz4Q

PS - It has been too long since I have made a monthly “Hang” or posted anything, and as you can see from the video, been took long since I picked up a bass. :frowning_face: I hope everyone’s summers (or winters depending on where you are) are great and everyone is safe and well. I have been busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger - work and home life.

12 Likes

Good to see you again @JDDaniel . Good job on your comeback and recording a cover.

4 Likes

Thanks Pammy @PamPurrs ! I hope you’re continuing to feel better and kick cancer’s butt. Prayers and thoughts of health being sent your way.

4 Likes

Well, there is one more now! Never heard of them, but really like this song. Great job @Barney !!

4 Likes