Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice job @JerryP! PS - Your video editing continues to get better and better (kudos to @PamPurrs & @John_E for “edu-macating” us - although I am still recording on my iPhone).

6 Likes

Nice job @Ed That Rick is so freaking beautiful!

4 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel ! Ed likes to surround himself with beautiful things :slight_smile:

Hey that’s a pretty sweet Stingray you’ve got there. I was lusting after one myself a couple of months back…

3 Likes

Okay guys, I’m convinced, eff the music critics, Status Quo is :sunglasses: This was great! I was listening to your cover cruising down the highway, and it definitely had a nice “road trip” vibe. I thought the bass sounded full and smooth.

:laughing: , my Telecaster is like this. I almost forget it has a neck pickup because the bridge sounds so good. Both you and the Rick mellowed out nicely on this one.

3 Likes

Always sound advice!

3 Likes

Nice @Ed . The Rick sounds great.
I’m just really grateful no one has dragged up and covered Margarita Time :joy:
Can’t believe it was 1979 ! Seems like only yesterday I was on my way to the Bridlington Spa to watch the Quo and listening to this album on my tape deck in my old Morris Minor

Good to see you back here @JDDaniel

4 Likes

Thank you @JDDaniel !

2 Likes

GREAT to see you my friend!
Or what’s left of you I should say.
Looks like you lost some weight in this summer heat man.

Not too bad for not practicing for so long.
A couple small timing issues and note durations but the good news is you kept the groove and you were bouncing. I did expect some signature JD moves in the down bars, maybe next time.

We are missing you man, hope to see you on a hang soon.

3 Likes

Well done @Ed.

I’d say your bass was a tad low in the mix for me, sometimes hard to hear.
Are you using a compressor or compressor plug-in? That would even out your volume on picking.

You played all those fast ‘fingery’ passaages just frantastic!!!
Your finger dexterity is to be envied across the continents for sure.
The weird thing is you looked like you were struggling on the opening notes (the long slow ones) and they felt a bit late a couple times to me, but it might be the inconsistent volume of the picking.
But since you did such an amazing job here on the trickier stuff (you are really good at tricky stuff) I am assuming it is just a mix/compression thing.

2 Likes

Nice playing! What an absolutely gorgeous Rickenbacker!

3 Likes

Cool cover! I tried playing this song last Friday. Did you need to tune your bass half-step down?

2 Likes

This is one my one of my favorite songs: Folsom Prison Blues.

This is not a cover of the original version of the song, but of the live version from the album Live At Folsom (1968).

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbg_YHJz-Ps

8 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 ! The Rick is surprisingly versatile if you juggle with the dials and strings. Maybe not as much as a Fender but there’s still a lot of range :+1:

2 Likes

Nice work @robbp - perfect pocket playing! nice tone too

2 Likes

Thank you thank you @John_E :slight_smile: :+1:

Yeah I was finding this as well but I put it down to my cheesy speakers… However, my Rick (maybe yours?) has this deadspot around B (I think it may be because of the big headstock?) and it can be pretty noticeable sometimes - particularly when I’m chugging from E (which can be quite “wolfy”) to B. I’m not sure how to compensate for this, apart from using an EQ…

The Rick is definitely a quiet bass. I’m toying with the idea of some new higher gain pickups, but I don’t want to lose the Rickiness…

I think the timing was ok (maybe a couple microsecond out :wink: ) but I could have been accenting the wrong beats. I had to experiment a couple of times …

1 Like

What about these @Ed ?

1 Like

Thanks @robbp. Not tuned down but I did monkey with the pots on the bass and amp to get the tone close.

1 Like

Thanks brother @John_E. Working on “reducing my footprint.” Thanks for the feedback too. Use it or lose it. I better start using it some more.

1 Like

Thanks @Mac ! Hope all is well down under. Keep the shiny side up.

1 Like

not sure those pickups would mount on a regular Rick 4003. at least the bridge pickup looks very different, and the pickups location is different too.

4003 :

4004 Lemmy :

4 Likes