Post your covers! (2019-2022)

9 Likes

Damn @Ed you did fantastic here.
Your finger work is steller and I am very jealous.
All your practice clearly shows through and your not only playing it you look like you have mastered it.

Truth be told I hate this song, having had to endure it in high school when my friend was forming a band.
Assuming the dainty pinky in the air on your plucking hand is a nod/tribute to QEII and everything fancy and royal? :upside_down_face:
(I have a tune I am working on with octaves and my middle finger wants to do the same thing).

4 Likes

Thank you @skydvr

2 Likes

Excellent performance @Ed ! If only my fingers could move that fast. :slightly_frowning_face:
:+1:

3 Likes

Dang @Ed , you nailed it. The 'Bird sounds great on that song!

3 Likes

Hey thanks @John_E :+1: I really should make the movements smaller for more speed but I get more grit this way :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a bit worried all I do is hard rock but hey I thereā€™s some good stuff there :slight_smile:

Haha - I donā€™t know where I picked that up. Shows I got breeding though :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP ! Hours of practice and sacrifices to the god of bass playing, John Entwhistle. And tons of typing I guess :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hah thanks @EddieJones - I was a little sceptical at first but I think it worked :smiley: :+1:. Itā€™s no Jazz bass but itā€™s more versatile than I thoughtā€¦

2 Likes

I think the way you set the tone knobs really helped it get that old school 60ā€™s Steppenwolf vibe. I will remember how you said you set it when I want to nail that vibe with humbuckers.

4 Likes

Oh and Daddario NY XL nickel roundwounds :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

5 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

Great job @Ed ! I didnā€™t realize that line was so busy - you really had it down. Tone was great. Are you 3 finger plucking - or is your ring finger just following your middle finger?

5 Likes

Youā€™re not helping my Thunderbird GAS @Ed :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::joy:

4 Likes

Thanks @skydvr ! Iā€™ve just got kind of a messy right hand - the third fingerā€™s just following the middle finger, although Iā€™d love to get a good three finger technique working :+1:

5 Likes

Oh go on - have a go in the shop if thereā€™s one nearby. Just a little go :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m working on it @Ed
Iā€™ve just listed 4 basses and a combo amp on my missusā€™s farcebook :wink:

5 Likes

Oh - for sale?

3 Likes

Yep :+1:

4 Likes

Love it @Ed! What a great performance. Sometimes I stare at my plucking fingers and try to will them to move that fast. Itā€™s not just the speed though, timing is right on, and you play it with attitude man :metal:

I play the same way. I see a lot of people curl the last two fingers up, but it feels more comfortable for me to let em fly.

2 Likes

I recorded another cover. Firstly, Iā€™d like to apologize for the close up of my sweaty face. Also I wish I had turned the bass up a little more in the final mix. Overall I think Iā€™m getting better at editing. Playing is also getting better. I have wanted to learn this song for a while now, but I would get overwhelmed. I finally just broke it down and studied the parts and it came together okay in the end.
The song is ā€œDonā€™t Stay Homeā€ by 311
https://youtu.be/ZdhzQMybVmc

15 Likes