Post your covers! (2019-2022)

This thread is on fire. You guys are inspiring me to play a little longer tonight

@Paul_9207 The Cure cover was so cool. Not one I’ve heard in a while. There is a lot of cool bass work on this record and has one of my all time favorite album covers, but not sure why? It’s really satisfying to figure things out by ear, nicely done. The power chords in the Blink cover were awesome and props for the trippy ending in the Muse song.

@Barney that was a really smooth performance, I’m dancing in my chair here. Tone is just right. What is “Retro Reel”, is it a kind of tape flange or something?

@terb that was fantastic, congrats on the 50 covers! It’s cool you made the index page, you covered some artists I like a lot.

I get what you mean, the song builds and falls beautifully. Really like it, and I’m in no way a Tool fanboy, this is great.

4 Likes

Well @terb what can we say?
50 covers (wow) :white_check_mark:
P Bass :white_check_mark:
Matching T-shirt :white_check_mark:
Rustic French architecture :white_check_mark:
In the pocket :white_check_mark:
Great playing :white_check_mark:

A fantastic way to round of your half century. Top banana.

5 Likes

Thanks very much. It’s a Line 6 modulation effect within HX Stomp meant to simulate playing a tape through an old tape machine. Lots of variables in there to play with. I use it to just round out the overall tone.

3 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 I love this thread. It’s fun to watch covers from bassists who are all relatively new to the instrument. And to get good feedback as well. This thread and forum have helped me improve my playing and overall sound as well.

4 Likes

That’s really neat, and the demo was great (+1 for the Screaming for Vengeance album on display). It warms up the tone in a nice subtle way. The Helix seems really powerful, a little complicated, but guess that comes with the territory. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I’m recording direct now, but I have no audio output when recording so I’m playing deaf, here’s a second crack at what’s going on and ain’t no mountain. I’ll work on adding in the backing tracks to the video over the next week or so. It’s getting closer :sob:
edit: I think the gain was a bit too high and that’s the popping, not sure yet
https://youtu.be/qLLRjHnro8o
https://youtu.be/b4mmmPn-niw

8 Likes

Why not run headphones out of your audio interface and direct monitor the bass?

1 Like

Nice finger work @mpops1990! You must be the next Beethoven to play that well deaf :laughing: . Both have tricky parts and you sound nice and smooth throughout. They are iconic lines so I could follow them in my head mostly but it would be nice to have the backing track playing for reference, even if just on your phone of something. Great job overall, I thought the tone sounded nice and warm for a direct signal.

3 Likes

Thanks! I need to get my single finger plucking speed up a little higher.

Howard (sorry idk how to quote people on phone) I wanted to just record video on my iPhone and use the DI as the microphone instead of having to to splice and sync two tracks through an interface on top of the phone. I have audio output in garage band, but for the video app I don’t for whatever reason. I’m using an irigHD 2 So I would think the device could handle audio output by itself but I guess it’s actually handled by the phone

3 Likes

Single finger? The next James Jamerson

4 Likes

It really is insane how fast and clean he played some of this stuff. I can get probably 90% of it

3 Likes

Especially considering how wasted he was.

I’m being serious here, it’s truly impressive. The guy famously recorded the bass for “What’s going on?” while being so drunk he had to lie on the floor and have someone hold the sheets for him. Megahit with an iconic bassline.

6 Likes

Charlie Parker changed the musical world - on heroin.

2 Likes

I listened to an interview with Nile Rogers talking about drugs and getting sober. His friend made him sit down sober and listen to one of his live shows. He said “Oh man I was like, the timing is waay off but in my head I was killing it”

3 Likes

It’s 1983. Business in the front, party in the back! The Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep. Who says simple bass lines can’t be fun to play. I experimented with the Musitronics Mu-Tron® III envelope filter to add a little something. As used by Bootsy Collins and Stevie Wonder.

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwE9TnGgpMI

If you want a real one, it’s a steal at a little over CDN $1600

Oh @StartedAt48 songs like this are a great stepping stone post B2B course. Not too difficult so you wont get frustrated, but enough going on timing wise to make it fun :slight_smile:

It would be excellent if more people jumped in the shallow end and added to this thread. GAS is cool and all but playing music is cooler IMHO.

11 Likes

I enjoyed every note of this! Thanks for posting, you crazy Canadian. :canada:

3 Likes

That was great!

I agree 100%

5 Likes

I’ve never thought of this song as a Halloween song, or even a creepy song really. But, it is in the movie IT, so there you go. (okay, so the band did come up with the name of the song after having a debate about how many different ways there are to skin a cat and they decided there were, in fact, six different ways to skin a cat. So, that’s disturbing anyway.)

I messed up pretty badly, but this was my fifth take or something and I just had to be done, my boys kept interrupting me and it was getting late. Anyway, I do love this song and I had fun recording it despite the many many interruptions by my boys, who I love dearly, but darn it, I was trying to record a cover.

And also, these strings are mesmerizing.

The Cure - Six Different Ways
https://youtu.be/Mqy_UOLzObw
Schecter Stiletto Stealth 5

9 Likes

Love the reflections off the strings!

All in all you did fine, don’t beat yourself up over it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @howard
I’m not too broken up about it. I’ve seen some YouTube tutorials about making cover videos that say you should practice the song enough that you can’t play it wrong. I’m not that much of a perfectionist, not with three young boys anyway. If I have a goal to make a cover I’ll make it and post it, unless it’s really bad.

3 Likes