Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I think that’s a load of crap.
Editing is your (and their) friend.

3 Likes

Yeah. The “do it in one take” thing is alien to any reasonable music production workflow. I think this might be a unique artifact of the YouTube cover trend.

It’s not some kind of contest, as much as some people might like to make it one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mpops1990 -

What’s Going On - what a tone! wow, a little muddy but that is kinda how is should be for this tune. A couple small timing bips and bops on the passages, hard to tell without the backing track though, just using a drum in my head. This is no easy bassline, so bravo all around. Really well done!

Ain’t No Mountain - nice job, but even harder to assess timing etc without backing tracks. I think this one would have benefited from rolling the tone knob up a bit (based on original recording).

Neither of these are very easy - great job.

4 Likes

I was going to say I didn’t like the whole Mutron thing, then went and listened to the original and boom, you nailed it! Funny how our minds remember things a certain way.

@Barney - I think this is 100% perfect!

4 Likes

Thanks! And I loved that song when I was younger. Great cover!

2 Likes

Sounds great @Paul_9207 !

Man, I need a week off work with no one home.
I keep a list of things I want to do on bass.
Recently, just adding things to it vs. getting anything off it.

I didn’t notice anything off, but I also don’t really know the tune.

4 Likes

Sometimes the list building can be fun too. Gives you direction when you get to play.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed that @Paul_9207. A big Cure fan as you know, so that’s perfect. I didn’t really hear the mistake you mentioned. But does it matter anyway if it’s not exactly like the record? I bet when Simon Gallup played it live there’d be a lot a variation over the years.

@John_E thanks very much, yeah I tried just playing with a regular amp setting but it wasn’t quite right. Then read around on the web and one of the suggestions was that maybe part of the signal went through some kind of envelope filter. What’s one of those I thought? So I tried a few different ones in the HX Stomp until I found something I liked.

2 Likes

Way to go, Jerry! Great job.

Yeah, this is a famous old tune.

1 Like

each years I do a list of the covers recorded and posted on this thread. it would be cool if you all could precise clearly the author and the name of the song. I often have to use Shazam, which is a bit annoying. and sometimes (like this time where there is no backing track) I have no way to know which song is covered. so, it will not be on the yearly list and count, that’s a shame.

3 Likes

wow, what’s this clown ? :smiley: impressive video and very neat playing, congrats !

2 Likes

My apologies.
What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell
Both basslines composed and played by James Jamerson
Record label: Tamla/Motown
I didn’t think my cover was anything special so I didn’t think to include the aforementioned items

2 Likes

no problem :slight_smile: thanks for the added information, your covers will now be on the list !

2 Likes

Thanks @Barney ! I’m sure there will be many many more Cure covers in the future. I did try to play along to a live version of Just Like Heaven once, it was not the same bass line I learned, well mostly it was, but it was different.

1 Like

Thanks @terb !
That’s Pennywise the dancing clown, from the movie IT.

2 Likes

You’re gonna need a Bass VI then, lol

2 Likes

2 Likes

Very nice cover Barney. I have a soft spot for envelope filter, such a funky sound!

Yes, it’s not even close, playing music is way cooler, and doesn’t need to be complicated.

2 Likes

Another great Cure cover @Paul_9207! I was worried Pennywise was going to get you a couple times there.

Haha my girls will do this and then complain that I keep playing the same song over and over again. Oh well, I love them anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice bass line and really nice playing as always @dlamson13
I see now I commented on a cover made three weeks ago. But it’s still great.

2 Likes