Post your covers! (2019-2022)

lols - it’s always sunny when I’m playing bass. or hungover :wink:

4 Likes

Well Motorvember is nearly over and it’s time to move on to another band. So to say goodbye, I present Overkill, off the Overkill album. I’m hoping to complete Killed by Death but time was just not on my side this month.

What have I learned during this intensive crash course in Motörology? Well -

1. Light or medium-gauge stainless steel or nickel strings, roundwound for a bright sound. I found Rotosound 66s to be :ok_hand:
  2. Change the strings regularly. Like every couple of days - they take a hammering.
  3. Use a relatively light pick (1.14mm)
  4. Hold the pick between the thumb and the outside of the first / second fingers - don’t pinch it between the thumb and first finger - it starts aching pretty quickly
  5. Avoid using the 4th string, play around the 5th and 7th frets
  6. Use powerchords in the chorus, and octaves if possible (with the open string)
  7. Switch to the bridge pickup and turn the tone to maximum
  8. Overdrive is essential. Maybe some compression in the later tracks, but you don’t need anything else.
  9. Try to keep the strumming pattern simple - quarter and eighth notes generally.

However, the most important thing (like playing any music I guess), is to go into a track with the right attitude: you have to be in the mood for playing high energy music or it can fall really flat. You can get away with a few fudges provided the feel is there :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs18Ie8gOjQ

15 Likes

Great job @JerryP . Outstanding song from an outstanding artist, beautifully covered

And @Ed …….
Where can I begin? I bow to your skills covering probably one of Motörheads finest.
And that tone !!! :drooling_face:

4 Likes

That’s great @Ed , I like your Motorvember concept and you did quite well with all those covers !

Also the “what have I learned” part is really something precious that you get when you take a deep dive into something in music. I’ve had (and still have sometimes) similar revelations with all the alternative country stuffs.

3 Likes

Thank you thank you - I am not worthy :grin: . The problem is you have to keep buying new strings - those poor Rotosounds only lasted a couple of days at most …

4 Likes

Thanks @terb ! It’s been a heck of a month and I’ve really been able to get into the mind of the artist (at least a little :wink: ) . It also gives me a lot more direction when I’m choosing to work on a cover …

Not sure what to do next month - maybe AC DCember? Then January is difficult - either JanWhoary (the Who), Janowar (Manowar) or maybe Janthrax (Anthrax). February is going to be Feb Zeppelin, or maybe the Feb Four. :wink:

Please share! It would be great to get some advice on playing other styles. Alternative country is really new ground for me …

5 Likes

Oh it’s not easy to explain, it’s a sum of little things. A lot of this concerns how to play on an electric bass in the spirit of an upright. Not necessarily about the sound, but more about how the instrument changes the way you create your bass line.

For example it’s interesting to play more “vertical” on the neck than you would normally do on a electric bass. In country there are 5th everywhere ; a good thing is to play the 5th lower (1 string lower, same fret) than your root note, where it’s probably more common to play it higher (1 string higher, 2 frets higher). It sounds quite different.

Another interesting point is the use of foam under the strings, close to the bridge. A simple trick but it really changes the dynamics of the instrument, and with trying various foam densities, sizes and positions, there is a whole playing field here.

5 Likes

Great job @Ed , love it.

I hope you get to Killed by death sometime, but with all you have covered it’s understandable.

I vote for JAnthrax myself, and my birthday is in January but of course I will be gone by then, and have no idea if I will have any forum access or not yet, so whatever you decide will be great!

4 Likes

Thanks @terb

I’m wondering if a Hofner would be ok for country - it can have some of that acoustic tone…

2 Likes

oh yes, a Hofner would work

3 Likes

Thanks @T_dub ! I more or less have it down but I think I need a couple more days to do it justice :slight_smile:

Whoa what’s happening next month? Everything ok with you?

4 Likes

@Ed Im for Anthrax,
they are locals and followed their journey since the beginning

4 Likes

I love them too but that’s going to be a steep learning curve @toughdoody . Oh what the heck - Anthrax it is :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Ed and @Mac .

3 Likes

That was great @John_E sounds perfect!

3 Likes

Nice job @tony.bave !

2 Likes

nice one @JerryP !

2 Likes

Great job @Ed ! You’re really rockin’ that Rick!
:+1:

2 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

I am going in to serve a 6 1/2 year sentence.
Should be out in 3.5-4 years. However.

4 Likes