Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice work @JerryP didn’t know the song but it’s added to the Ipod.

You know it’s a good cover when I don’t know what’s part of the original score and which part you improvised. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Well @Ed what a fantastic month for you. I’ve enjoyed them all but this is a particular highlight. I have no desire to own a Rickenbacker but goddam it sounds really good on this cover. I really had fun listening to that :metal: Oh and about halfway through I remembered my favourite part where you think it ends and then the drums come thrashing back in. Magic!

Side note: watching your picking hand, I never realised beforehow hard Phil Taylor on Drums is working. It’s relentless throughout the whole thing.

You’ve inspired me to pick an album and try and record all the songs off it. I may come to regret that decision :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @Barney !

1 Like

The SteelDrivers - Hear The Willow Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97h2ELfku7A

For this first cover with The Duke, I chose this great bluegrass song from the SteelDrivers. It was Chris Stapleton’s band until 2010. This song comes from their first album, released in 2008, before Stapleton started his solo carreer.

I find that the double bass lines are very interesting in SteelDrivers. Nothing very fancy, but there are interesting variations here and there that are not obvious at all, that are not simple, and that makes the bass line at the same time percussive, rythmic, and melodic. At least that’s how I feel those lines, and it has been enough to make me want to record a cover.

The Duke (with permanent foam under the bridge cover), Bass POD Pro with my usual settings ('74 SVT - just a little bit younger than the bass :slight_smile: ).

14 Likes

great job again @Ed
outstanding work, just not my cup of tea though music wise.
Your skills are improving like mad though

3 Likes

The Duke sounds great through the Bass POD. I forget, is that the one with the FakeBucker?

3 Likes

Ed this sounds great, your playing is really on point, but what impresses me most is how well you’ve nailed the overall sound. It’s very very Lemmy.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s this one ! here I use only the neck pickup at 100% with the tone at 100% too. Same setting on the Bass POD Pro that I always use.

4 Likes

This is and sounds fantastic @terb !

3 Likes

Whoa you be careful in there. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for parole ! Are you going to have internet access in there?

3 Likes

Thanks @Barney ! The Rick is definitely the right tool for the job here, although I could probably get away with the Thunderbird…

Oh yeah it’s easy to forget that Motorhead were three (or four) really seriously good musicians in their field! Fast Eddie also came out with some stunning riffs, although I wasn’t ever really into the lead work. Phil really drove the songs along and I think Overkill was one of the first tracks in Rock to really exploit the double bass drum ?

Go for it man :slight_smile: It’s a really great way to get into an artist’s head and find things to take from their style. Got to choose carefully though - you’re going to be living with them for a month (or however long :wink: )

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E ! I definitely feel my picking hand improving but my fingerstyle is starting to slip a bit (My slap’s never been great but hey :wink: ). I’ll have to remedy that this month :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh thank you @howard :relieved:! I’ve really been seriously working on this and thankfully the Motorhead sound is relatively easy to achieve - the overdrive and Rick combination pretty much do it all :slight_smile: . That and a strong cup of coffee before you play :wink:

3 Likes

Beautiful work there @terb ! The foam really seems to give that warm acoustic feel. Sweet looking bass too - I love the old school bridge cover :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

[quote=“Ed, post:7953,
topic:3763”]
Are you going to have internet access in there?]

???
I will have Email, but not my regular email, something set up in there.

Jesse will get details and post them when I have it in a month or so

4 Likes

Hi.

I think i have now around 135 covers done. Few missed due copyrights tho. Anyway, covers, collabs and tutorials. You may find em https://www.youtube.com/@KristianVirtanen

or Ek Bass covers & collabs - Google Sheets

4 Likes

what’s not to love when someone records a cover from Mechanical Animals ? don’t hesitate to post here your upcoming covers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great job @terb Laurent! I enjoy bluegrass and that was fantastic. The Duke sounds great as well.
:+1:

3 Likes

Great cover @terb

3 Likes

What a finisher for Motorvember, probably my favorite, hard to choose! Love the thick sounding power chords, you killed it :metal:

5 Likes