Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks man @dlamson13 :smiley: Iā€™m so metalled out after that last month I need to take a break :drooling_face: but oh that was fun playing those tracks. It sometimes felt like riding a bike or a really fast horse for some reasonā€¦

4 Likes

MM is close to my heart. Those songs are ultimate proof that simple basslines can sound stupid cool.

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s often the case with industrial metal. Iā€™ve done myself a cover of MM a few years ago.

I really like what Twiggy Ramirez did with MM. He composed most songs from Antichrist Superstar to Holy Wood.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my cover of ā€œMy Kinda Loverā€ by Billy Squier. Just a feel good 80s tune with super fun fills. I had a lot of fun working this one out. I tried to get close to the record, as usual I sometimes take some liberties with it. Did a lot of takes, as it is a reach for me at this point. Not perfect, but happy with it. Thanks for listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHsgl17-fY

17 Likes

Nice job @terb ! Sounds great!

6 Likes

That was awesome!

6 Likes

awesome cover. I am working on too much to young.

6 Likes

Very nice, great job :+1:

4 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 !

3 Likes

Very cool @dlamson13

3 Likes

Fantastic job on a very hard tune. Way to stretch @dlamson13

5 Likes

Whoa, I havenā€™t heard that since high school. Well done :slight_smile:

Seriously that looked hard. Nice work.

4 Likes

Thank you @Paul_9207 , @T_dub, @JerryP, @Mac, @John_E, and @Howard! Glad you liked it, one of my favorite things to do is revisit older songs that have cool bass lines I didnā€™t appreciate being ignorant of the power that is bass :slight_smile: Now all I need is a time machine and a good head of hair so I can go back and rule the 80s

Thanks, took some work! I like learning from songs more than doing courses, wellā€¦except for Joshā€™s, so Iā€™ve been counting on picking the right ones to figure out and improve with. Some end up being dead-ends Iā€™m not ready for (ā€œLa Villa Strangiatoā€ comes to mind). Others like this, are in just the right place to keep after.

4 Likes

Life has been crazy lately. I canā€™t believe itā€™s December already. I only posted two covers in November. Hopefully I can do better than that this month, but the holidays are busy. I have some songs I want to cover, hopefully I can get them done.

I found myself just messing around with slap last month, without really putting in any work, just a slap here and there. I then decided I wanted to buckle down and learn a slap heavy song. After a day or two I got a blister on my index finger and had to take a day off, now itā€™s a callus. I probably should have put new strings on before recording, but overall I am happy with how it turned out.

RHCP - Canā€™t Stop
https://youtu.be/wDvXZOXi84U

14 Likes

Oh that was good @dlamson13 ! I didnā€™t know the song and I may not have paid much much attention to it but that bassline is a hidden gem :slight_smile: Great work with moving up and down the neck in the solo too :+1: Are you running the output from the amp into the DI?

2 Likes

Another solid job @Paul_9207 youā€™re really tight with the groove here :+1: :+1: Strings sound good to me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice job going all in with the slap @Paul_9207! I know the effort it takes to get there, not there yet myself, but I keep working on it and its definitely a grind. Itā€™s fun as hell though. I think you had really good clarity with the slaps and pops and smooth transitions from slap to plucking.

Weā€™ll forgive you after that rocking Halloween set you put out in October :laughing:

4 Likes

Thanks @Ed! Yeah there were closer together ways to play those notes in the solo, but everytime I listened to it I kept hearing those long slides so I think thatā€™s what he did.

Iā€™m running the bass into this $30 Behringer DI thingy ā€œBass BDI 21ā€ but I use it more like an OD because I really love the drive sound it has. I donā€™t use the DI in it. I run the 1/4" output from the Behringer into the Orange Amp. EQ the amp, and connect the ampā€™s DI to my interface. Didnā€™t add anything post this time so its pretty raw.

4 Likes

I like to add chords nowadays too to the video. Not in tricky ones but simple ones like this my latest. Enjoy Teenage Bottlerocket - Call in Sick bass chords & cover - YouTube

4 Likes

yeah :slight_smile: you can embed your video directly in the post by copying the URL when writing your post

2 Likes