Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Finally started doing something. Critiques are welcome since it’s my first attempt on recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_eVSMcIyI

13 Likes

Wow, that develops into a cool and syncopated bassline. Like it! You played it well. No real suggestions come to mind, you nailed the timing which was the hard part here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

well done @Paul_9207
slap - :white_check_mark:

nice motivation for the rest of us that it can be done!

4 Likes

I think it all sounds and looks great @Growl
What bass are you using?
Any effects on it/preamp/etc?

Very well done sir.

3 Likes

Eh there are few spots where I missed the beat, but I couldn’t bother to redo it. But thank you! And yeah I enjoy these kind of groovy syncopated basslines. Pretty simple but killer when in context.

Yeah, I’ve put it in description of video, but I’ll add it here also.

Gear used:

• Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray EX
  • Universal Audio Volt 1
  • Amplitube 5
  • Lalal.ai for removal of original bass

Amp sim:

• GK MB 150 S
  • 2x 2x10 SVX-500
  • Fender Compressor

Thank you, kindly!

5 Likes

Nice slap work @Paul_9207 ! Very nicely done. :+1:

Love the tone on the MM Stingray. Great job with the performance! :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s what I’ve been working on, another punk song: Heart Tattoo by Joyce Manor

Boy, this song is fast. My right hand and arm are very happy that I finally got this recorded. I kept flubbing the solo so I recorded it separately and spliced it in (my first attempt into actually slicing up tracks - hope it’s not too blatant!). It didn’t go perfect but good enough for me to move on.

P: 100%, J: 0%, Tone 100%, running through SansAmp Bass Fly Rig with flat EQ*, 9’o clock overdrive, moderate compression, *just noticed that my lows were boosted to 3’0 clock (don’t let your cat near your pedals)

11 Likes

Good cover

3 Likes

Good job! Not familiar with the song but I can see the intensity in your playing.
:+1:

2 Likes

Tone is fab-o for sure here.
You started fantastic but lost the groove around :50 for quite a while and picked it up again around 1:30 or so. Sounded like two different songs playing at once (assume this is not how the original goes, lol).
This is a really great tune and you were close to nailing it and I am sure you will be able to.
This is the type of song I will never be able to play (nor will I try) so big kudos for going for it.
You did look very stiff, maybe if you loosen up a bit? you can feel the groove better?

4 Likes

Nice work @RoyB ! I’m not sure whet the original’s like but that sounded good to me :slight_smile: .

However, like @John_E notes, you’re looking very tense when you’re playing: it seems you’re keeping your wrist stiff and picking with your whole forearm. The tone sounds punchy and aggressive now, but it could be a problem when you’re playing faster songs… Maybe experiment with some lower positions for the bass when picking so you can relax your wrist a bit more?

4 Likes

Listening to it again, I can definitely hear this. I think what happened is since this is the part right after the solo, which I kept messing up, is I was nervous/flustered after it. Great call out.

Totally. I think it was just so fast for me that I felt like I had to be 100% laser-focused on my picking hand and couldn’t feel the groove enough. When I practiced it even at 90% speed I was able to though! Looks like I’m really stretching my limits, heh.

I’m really glad you mentioned this. I know you play a lot of faster stuff - should my picking motion be primarily in the wrist and not involve the forearm? That would be great news for me as I have a shoulder injury in my right arm that gets aggravated when I play fast with a pick.

This is a really interest thought too. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone!

3 Likes

Crazy how fast that last 10% always seems! I never get over it.

4 Likes

Been a long time since I’ve posted a cover here but wanted to throw a few out just for the fun of it….

My wife Connie bought me a Hofner a few months ago so that I could play some of the Beatles tunes that one of the bands I was playing with at the time…. I most definitely fell in love with over time and realized that it worked well for some of the Country tunes that I was playing in the bands I was playing with…. @PamPurrs said that I’d love playing it (and she was right!)….

Anyway, here’s a couple that are fun to play…. Remember, I don’t play “note for note” covers, and tend to always ad-lib my own riffs and style - all in fun, and mist time I end up playing them different each time I play them - kinda depends on the “mood”…

Tennessee Whiskey
https://youtu.be/7LpywTwsusA

Before You Accuse Me
https://youtu.be/4GaaOHzMm1o

Both done using the Hofner short scale with flats… Again, all in fun which is what it’s all about…. A year ago I wouldn’t have given a gnats ass about playing a short scale Hofner…. Damn was I ever wrong!!:rofl::rofl:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

16 Likes

sure ! I’m very happy to listen to new covers from you, @Lanny ! funny enough my last cover is a song writen by Chris Stapleton (before its solo career).

exactly what I like :slight_smile: it’s not all about copying, it can be about … well … playing bass :smiley:

3 Likes

I was in the same camp @Lanny - and @PamPurrs changed my mind too! So much damn fun!

5 Likes

This…!!.. This is what this thread has always been about from the very beginning…. :grin::grin:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

These are both fantastic @Lanny.
The Hofner is country!
Sounds superb!

4 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E !

2 Likes