Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks @JerryP !

2 Likes

Liking this cover a lot @terb . The bass sounds very nice indeed.

Good to see you again @Lanny !
Very nicely put together play along/cover ( is it a cover if the bass line is ad-libbed?)
Any how, what ever it is its damn well played.
The Hofner sounds good too

4 Likes

Nice slap work @Paul_9207 !
Made it look easy

3 Likes

thanks @Mac

3 Likes

Good question @RoyB ! I think there are loads of picking styles out there (compare Lemmy and McCartney…) and you have to find the one that suits you. Generally though IMO the most important thing is to stay relaxed. Also, keeping the bass a little lower keeps your shoulder position more neutral, which would probably be more shoulder friendly.

Joey Ramone was pretty legendary for using his whole arm to pick but he slung his bass really low and he only downpicked - let’s face it, most of that was for show :wink:

4 Likes

Totally agree @John_E:grin::grin:. Although I used it at first to play some old Beatles tunes in a set list, I (mistakenly) ended up keeping it slung instead of swapping out to my P bass after playing two Beatles tunes and used it for the Stapelton song which was the next song in the set… It does have a great tone for country, but there are some true to country Fender P bass fans that (kinda/sorta) didn’t care for the visual aesthetics of a Hofner playing a country tune - especially down here in Middle Georgia… Go figure…:thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Thanks @Mac…. Yea, been a while but have wound down from playing with the bands I played with full time and decided to just fill in as needed - got to be way more than my old bones could handle and sort if started turning into a full time job instead of a fun thing to do…. As for the “Cover” thing,…. Hell, when @terb started this thread after we completed the B2B course and there were only a few of us willing to give it a go, the only rule was to have fun playing and making music…. I’ve been called out on my YouTube channel and on other bass forums for calling them “”Covers”, so I started calling what I do “Bass Jam Covers”…. Besides, when I play my own riffs/style making it my own instead of note for note as originally recorded, I tend to remember how to play the song. Kinda the same way I always played guitar.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4sCJ-HOlss

Hello folks.

I really do love to play Motörhead, just like any normal person :smiley: But mixing Lemmy’s bass out and having your own there instead seems to be allmost like magic. Mostly because he liked to distort he’s sound. Did my best here.

Easy song, stupid fun to play.

8 Likes

Two great covers Lanny! The Hofner is truly fun to play which is why I try to get a Beatles cover in whenever I get back to NJ in between trips. I hope to have one done before I leave again in January.
:+1: :+1:

4 Likes

I say that yes, it is a cover. It’s still based on an existing song, so it’s a cover :slight_smile: even if it’s played in a different way. A lot of covers made by various artists sound very different from the original song, but it’s still a cover. I myself have often done covers with a totally different bass line than on the original song, and I think those are still legit covers. As @Lanny said, there is no rule really : take a song, play it like you want, and that’s a cover :v::grin:

6 Likes

Thanks Jerry!! Got a few more that I’ve recorded over the last month that I’ll load when I get the chance… Looking forward to your next one! Not sure where you’re at now, but my granddaughter is on her way to Japan via Hawaii and Guam - she’s stationed aboard the Nimitz…

3 Likes

@Lanny, In the past few months, I’ve been to two out those three (Hawaii and Japan). Currently, I’m in Bahrain until the 16th.

3 Likes

These are usually by far my favorite. I really love it when artists bring their own style to covers. Often I find them better than the originals.

4 Likes

You definitely did get a bit hectic there for a while! How’s farm life treating you?

4 Likes

Never a dull moment @Mac!! Always plenty to keep a person busy… Feels good to get back to a bit of normal and have time to do things I got behind on around here.

4 Likes

Well, here’s a couple more that I got way tired of playing with bands but were always in their set lists…. Although I complain about playing them, they are a couple of decent songs to play bass to - just NOT “all the time”…:crazy_face::crazy_face:. I always used the Ibby for “Another Brick”, and always used the “MIM P” for “Breakdown”….

“Another Brick” with “The Happiest Days of Our Lives” intro…. This one got to be so damn monotonous with one band that it almost got to the point that I began to hate the damn song…:triumph::triumph:. I know it’s one of the 50 song challenge songs, and the only thing that made it somewhat bearable for me was the band did want to include the lead in part of “Happiest Days” which made it a bit more fun due to the timing…. The lead guitarist liked it because he had a way to make his guitar sound like a “chopper”, and the vocalist liked to yell shit in the beginning of the song…

“Breakdown”… Another one that was always in a set with one of the other bands only because the lead singer is a “Tom Petty” freak…. Sometimes he’d have us drag this one on forever….
https://youtu.be/XdilIbQiM0c

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

9 Likes

that’s cool @Lanny ! I like the intro swap :slight_smile: and also I really like your bass tone on Another Brick In The Wall. I said to myself that I would have played some notes shorter (muted earlier) but that’s just about personnal playing styles.

and …

I really understand that feeling, I already used to feel exactly the same. That’s one of the points I don’t like with playing in a band. Some songs are great to play, and some others are not so great, not to say boring as f*ck. :confused:

5 Likes

Great job on both @Lanny ! I love the tone of both basses, they sound perfect.
Good to see you back on the forum.
:+1: :+1:

3 Likes

These are again both Great @Lanny - just great.

4 Likes

Great covers @Lanny

3 Likes