Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Right? Wait till you hear the next cover. I was actually surprised. Playing and recording definitely yielded different results. I was writing the Sabre off as a “Vintage” tone. Now I’m definitely reevaluating my priorities and ranking, thanks to @Growl.

Say whatever, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with heavy basses, they feel freaking awesome. Of course, I’m not carrying it for the session, lol.

4 Likes

For a semi retired guy I work more days than my normal job lol. I have a couple of weeks off well just one, before school is back in session again. I’m taking full advantage of it.

The Christmas thing was over since 10:30am we were just sitting around and watched the kids play and cook the feast which over by 1. Lol.

6 Likes

Thank you, it took a long time of noodling to get to this point, but it’s the most fun you can have on bass.

And he shall continue. I’m on vacation in a few days and I’ll bring it on.

Thanks man appreciate it!

Yeah all these manufacturers never take slapping into consideration. Thanks man!

YES! That’s what Im talking about! Thanks Al. That’s the sound we need.

You are welcome :wink:

5 Likes

I spent a lot of time (and $) getting a rig that sounded the same in open air as being recorded so I know what I’m getting before I hit record. It was driving me nuts.

6 Likes

Amen to this.
My bari sax weighs in at over 11 lbs and that’s strapped around my neck not shoulders so the heavier basses don’t bother me much and I’d hate to rule some of these amazing basses out on weight.

4 Likes

True that!

I learn a similar lesson on the Vdrum. I went through quite a few iems and headphones just to get the right sounds. Best sounds comes from Bluetooth headphones but can’t use it because of the lag time too many milliseconds to be accurate on timing. Best of the rest came from the cheapo amazon headphones and mid tier $200 Senheiser, it has enough bass boost to sound natural.

Recording on a drums actually easy because it’s all digital you fix all of the sounds in post.

2 Likes

I thought there’re shoulder straps for bigger saxophones, I’d assume if you are not using you are the purest type, lol.

1 Like

I don’t like those harnesses, and they are more for the marching band folks (and old folks, which I ain’t yet). There is a good compromise neck strap that actually doesn’t go around your neck and sits on either side of it and your chest as a 3-point deal, but still not on shoulders per se.

3 Likes

That what I figured. I doubt you’d missed any, lol.

1 Like

You go through a lot of straps finding the best ones.
And reeds.
And mouthpieces.
And ligatures.
And saxophones.

It’s no different than bass, you end up with bins/drawers full of all kinds of stuff you will never use again.

3 Likes

So is bass, once you say goodbye to amps :slight_smile:

This is a huge benefit of just using monitors, your bass sounds exactly the same while you practice and play as it does after recording, and amp+cab sims sound better than any amp we’re likely to buy anyway. And for recording, actually probably as good or better than any amp period. Plus the added flexibility is awesome.

If you are worried about moving enough air, buy a pair of 1000W PA’s for monitors :rofl:

It all depends on what you want to optimize for. For me it’s recording, so this is the workflow that worked best for me.

If I were mostly interested in jamming with buddies down at a jam, I would have different priorities.

3 Likes

One last cover before the year ends. That’s a total of 20 this year. I slowed down a bit at the end thanks to Covid. Still struggling to remember more complicated stuff (hopefully this will pass). But happy with where I am, compared to 12 months ago.

Good to see some new faces in the ‘Post Your Covers’ thread, the IMHO best thread on BassBuzz.

All the best for 2023 to all the thread regulars :heart:

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=4OEslyEKJ4s

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020.

Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by John McVie

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic pre amp
Amp - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO
Modulation - Retro Reel
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

14 Likes

Wow, good year for you ! My personnal record is 26 (in 2020), it had required quite a lot of time :v::grin:

I’m still impressed by your playing level after such a short time since you started your bass journey, @Barney. Also your bass tones and mixes are very convincing, and I don’t always say that easily. Congrats, sincerely !

6 Likes

Yup. Took a lot longer than I would have liked too but it does (and did).

Great job on this one as usual @Barney !!
I generally look away on covers to see if anything just strikes me odd on tone or timing as if I was listening to the original.
I could in no way tell it apart form what (at least my brain thinks) the original is.
Soooooo smoooooooth man!

Just counted I hit exactly 20 as well.
I’m very close to another but most likely won’t go up til January for Bassaversary.

5 Likes

That was awesome Barney! I really enjoyed it as Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorites. Nice tribute at the end.
:+1:

3 Likes

Damn @Barney,… You SLAID it!! Beautiful tone, every note hit!! I do love that song and you did it justice!.. The only thing I’d say is that (personally - just me speaking), is that I would have liked to hear the notes hit just a millisecond later… As a former guitar player, I always hit every not spot on, but what I’ve learned with bass (and I’m still learning) is that those low bass note tones work really well when they are just a millisecond behind the lead guitar - just a millisecond… Please don’t get me wrong, you were spot on with the “songs” timing, but your bass note tone may have been a little more effective if it were just a millisecond behind the main beat… I have this same problem at times when I play bass because I learned guitar first… DAMN guitar!! :rofl: :rofl:

Having done 20 covers this year is a real accomplishment!! KUDOS man!! And having listened to all of them throughout the year, you certainly have evolved into a real bass playing machine!! No way have I ever done what you did, and damn man, you did it with STYLE!! Not only has your bass playing put a smile on this old mans face, your sense of humor is second to NONE on this thread!! Truly a “Class Act”!!

Can’t wait to see (and hear) what 2023 brings forth from the "Barney Files) of bass (and whitisism)… :rofl: :rofl:

Although I didn’t do a ton of covers this last year, I did learn (and play) over 200 with the bands I played with… Not many I’d ever do a cover on though because I really didn’t like the majority of what the bands played… “Dance Music”… It SUCKS!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Great cover @Barney . Love the tone of the JB.
Congratulations on hitting the 20 cover milestone. You definitely are one of the thread stalwarts.

6 Likes

Wowza! I haven’t even done 20 total :slight_smile:

Yep, this and the pizza toppings thread.

5 Likes

:v::sunglasses:
yeah it’s always a true joy to see newcomers on this thread

4 Likes

This is an interesting point @Lanny that I’m not really familiar with. I shall play around with this concept. However I suspect that a millisecond ahead of the beat is projecting a level of nuance and timing that you may possess, but i think I still have away to go.

I’m happy if I can play the right notes and still remember to wear pants for the video at this stage of my life.

7 Likes