Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@Barney well done. You are the pocket king. I envy your editing skills.

I like it very German precision, each note has the same duration very soothing and very difficult to do but fits perfectly to this tune especially when Mick is doing his signature 2nd beat crash.

Wait what? 20 this year, oh buy I gotta do much better next year. Lol.

Enjoy the bass, the video and the look of your mod bass. Very cool.

2 Likes

The good play it on the dot, the great play it slightly behind so his bass lines stand out in the mix. Great drummers do the same thing. I donā€™t do it on every songs but if it can subconsciously work it in to the songs Iā€™d let it happens. This is not something you can do consciously, youā€™ll miss the time 100% Guarantee. When Iā€™m in the zone and that happens I just ride the (sound) wave and not get in the way. Lol.

4 Likes

I just donā€™t want anyone to throw a chair at me. Thatā€™s really all Iā€™m aiming for.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s the strangest movie ever. I watched it and thought wtf. Then I watch Rick Beato take on it and it made sense.

2 Likes

Wow I turn my back for a moment and suddenly tons of seriously high quality covers come in! Great work @Growl @Al1885 @Ek_Bass @Barney - Iā€™m really going to have to up my game next year!

4 Likes

That is the most Pimpalicious bass Iā€™ve seen @Al1885 ! Very nice :kissing: :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Formal education successfully killed off most of my passions, glad I never went to music school! :rofl:

7 Likes

Word @dlamson13

3 Likes

I considered an academic career for a while, until academia killed any desire for that notion. Iā€™m just glad I was able to make that decision while still an undergrad.

4 Likes

I only got my masters because (at the time) I was dating a med student and all she did was study. And since my company would pay for it 100% I figured it would be a good way for us to spend more time together. Otherwise I never had any interest in going back to school.
Turned out later to be useful as I would have never gotten into Pepsi without a masters (they were degree snobs at the time) but I didnā€™t learn a damn thing in my grad program and graduated with a 4.0.

Iā€™ve worked a ton with academia research over the last 30 years. Itā€™s great if your timetable is about 30-40 years for anything interesting. Private sector research has bypassed academia so hard and fast itā€™s pitiful. They certainly do not inspire or foster creativity or breakthrough anything.

5 Likes

Same as golf camp. You know what they say, school is full of mediocres. Lol.

3 Likes

Amen!

I got my double Bachelors because, well Iā€™m Asian. What I learn from colleges, Cal Poly and Irvine is teachers/professors are lazy they tell you everything that will appear on the test as they usually emphasize that so if you take notes every time they emphasize things and study that itā€™s a guaranteed B.

The next lesson I learn which applies to real life is from Bs to As thereā€™s only 10% increase but it requires 100% more effort to achieve. When employers are looking at the potential employees they are not looking at how smart someone is, they are looking for how much effort it took them.

Thatā€™s what I got out of college, lol.

5 Likes

D stands for diplomaā€¦all in sayinā€™ :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yep. 1.0 is still a GPA!

3 Likes

Since the passion is still alive and kicking, Iā€™d like to close out my 2022 covers with a take on R.E.M.'s ā€œWolves, Lowerā€. Iā€™ve always felt like R.E.M. is one of those bands that is much better than the sum of its parts, which is really the point of this, right? Iā€™m not saying they arenā€™t great musicians, but I donā€™t think many of us would say they are the BEST at anything in particular (vocals/guitar/bass/lyrics/drums etc.) Yet it all comes together so beautifully on a song like this. Hope you enjoy, Iā€™ve certainly enjoyed being a part of this thread this year, yā€™all have been big inspiration in 2022 :musical_note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqzsYcS4VI

12 Likes

Nice cover @Barney ,
You have beat me to it :+1::grinning:
Classic song, great band , nice work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nicely done @dlamson13 ! Love the tone on this.
:+1:

2 Likes

Top Banana :banana: @dlamson13 yet more music that I donā€™t know but gets added to my playlist.
I just like everything, relaxed playing, spot on timing and GREAT tone.

Nice way to finish up the year.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t know the song, so gave a listen to the original.
Great job here @dlamson13 !
All around terrific.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jerry, @Barney, @John_E!

Glad I could add something to the list. I like covering these kind of hidden gems with cool but forgotten basslines. Iā€™m always finding new things to listen to here too, ā€œMr. Experienceā€ comes to mind as a recent one.

1 Like