Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks for the positive feedback Mac,
Yes the more I’m doing the easier it’s getting.
I have 2 or 3 other covers on the website that I haven’t uploaded onto the post your covers forum as yet, I’m not sure if you have visited the website?
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Yes I’ve been on the website. Had a little chat with Lanny via messenger. He sounds a great guy :+1:
I will ring you too at some point. I have a few mental health issues that make it hard for me to make that first contact to be honest but it’s a fear I have told I’ve got to try and tackle

4 Likes

When ever your ready Mac,
My phone is always on👍
And your right, Bill is really good guy, I was on the phone with him earlier today for around 1/2 an hour talking about bass, recording, how we can encourage others to join us.
It’s all about sharing our passion
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hi Bass Buzz friends,
here is another cover i have on the website.
Concrete Blonde are a great band and i really like doing covers of their songs.
This is a cover of a cover.
Originally recorded by Leonard Cohen and covered by Concrete Blonde.
The Blonde’s cover was even chosen ahead of the original for the 1990 movie Pump up the Volume, just shows what a great cover it was.
I chose to use the 76 Mustang for the cover as the tones were really great for the song.
enjoy !
cheers Brian

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/07/20/everybody-knows/

7 Likes

my dear Brian, I can say you have good tastes about what a bass tone should be :grin:

I didn’t knew you had a Mustang Bass. I love those little things, they look beautiful and they sound much bigger that what you would expect by seeing them !

6 Likes

Thanks @terb,
I am going to try a few different basses out and see how they go, I just did another using one of my Rickenbackers, I haven’t uploaded onto forum yet.
It is on the website that all the clips are on though if you want to have a look.:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi Bass Buzzers,

Please find link below for another cover i have completed.
It is another Concrete Blonde classic, Johnette’s voice is sweeeet.
I thought i’d use Warwick Woody for this one, nice and bright.
After listening to the track a few times since completing,im not a big fan of the round wounds on the bass, so i just replaced them with a new set of Rotosound L77 s
now its smooth with nice tones.
Cheers Brian

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/07/20/cold-part-of-town/

5 Likes

Hi Bass Buzzers,

Please find link below to my newest cover.
I love the bass line as it has 3 different time signatures in it, some 4/4, some 3/4 and even a little 5/4 time.
As always, your feedback is appreciated.

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/08/03/mandocello/

Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Great Job Brian, your productions are getting better and better.
I hope to one day soon be able to make one of my own.

I got the IMac today. Loading GarageBand as I type this.

I did a little sampling on my neighbors IMac yesterday to get a quick feel.
I recorded one track, a loop of a bass line I played on my Zoom B1-four.
I recorded the clean loop on one track
Recorded it thru my San June optical compressor
And
Recorded it thru my Boss Bass Comp BC-1x pedal
Just for comparrison.
Then I figured out how to upload to soundcloud (after creating an account) and copy the link into a thread.
I posted them in my pedalboard thread “Unboxing - pedalboard build”
Hey, its a start.

1 Like

Yep good work Toby, @T_dub
I just responded to your post re strings etc, hope you can get your head around the Mac easier than I’ve had, I bought a 4 tb external hard drive to back up all my music videos, I googled how it’s supposed to be done easy, but do you think I’ve been able to do it, not a chance, I’m ready to get the sledge hammer out for the stupid thing?
And Apple support might as well be on Mars, cuz they are crap.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I have owned Mac’s before, and am moving up from Ipad. I like Apple products and have had great success with them and much fun in the past.

I bought a G-Drive at the recommendation of a friend I have that is an Abeldon user, on Mac and PC and graduated from the LA college of sound or music, or whatever.
He said they were the best, and recommended I get a 1tb G-drive over a 2tb Western Digital. They were comparably priced. And I know Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, all quality drives.
I will tell you how it goes, and, come on, its a hard drive, I don’t know how I will be able to see a noticeable difference, but I went with it on his recommendation anyway

2 Likes

Yep I’m hearing ya, I have #$*ked about with it all afternoon and can’t even see it in finder on the Mac, it’s a seagate 4tb.
On my pc I just go to this pc and it show up, I drag and drop files into it ,easy peezy
Try doing that on the Mac, if there’s an easy way let me know👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I will look into it, but typically when you put a drive in via USB it shows up in the top right corner of the desktop, if not there look in finder to see if it shows up as a drive.
If not, IDK, I will plug mine in in a few minutes and have a look

2 Likes

Cool, let me know what you find👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yeah, my drive popped right up.
Asked if I wanted to use my G-Drive for time machine back ups.
I said decide later, but it is there and is no issue.

My neighbor bought a cheap drive from amazon, and it was for PC use only. I didn’t think it mattered, but this specific drive had a block on it so it only could be used with windows, unless you watched youtube videos how to get around it.

He sent it back and bought a seagate, and it popped right up.

Is there some setting on your hard drive that needs changed to work with Mac?
Otherwise it should pop right up.

2 Likes

I put a Sony 4gb stick in and it pops straight up?
Don’t know why the seagate doesn’t?
I have gone into system and can see it, but can’t drag and drop files into it?

3 Likes

Is it possibly the drive is formatted NTFS?

The G-drive is actually formatted for Mac, and needs to be reformatted to NTFS to work with windows, a Windows ONLY format.

You may need to pop it into your PC and re-format it to a file structure recognized by MAC?

Re-formatting will wipe the drive, so move anything you put on it somewhere until you re-format it and then move it back

2 Likes

There are other universal file formats you can set it to, but if it is set to NTFS, it will not work in the MAC

1 Like

got it working, don’t know why not wouldn’t mount to desk top, all sorted now.
cheers Brian

3 Likes

That was great Brian!

3 Likes