Post your covers! (2023)

thanks…the song is about 195bpm so I have no choice but to alternate pick if I want to play it…makes it so much easier to play as far as speed goes, thou single strokes would definitely be more punk (or even go with the angry fingers like Jerry Only did)

1 Like

This may be hard to believe but we are all have been there, lol. Some of us are still struggle with finger speed and timing, strike that, all of us are still dealing with finger speed and timing, lol. Of course at slightly faster and a bit more complex chain of notes.

Moral of the story is your pain never ends so just keep practicing, lol.

4 Likes

Very valid lol that I do very much believe.
I definitely don’t intend on stopping considering I have a genuine addiction to bashing my head against this instrument so I’ll definitely get more numb to the pain of that.

3 Likes

That doesn’t change either. Did that last night for a while. It comes and goes. If it doesn’t come - you’re not practicing right nor pushing yourself hard enough.

3 Likes

Lol! This is the truth!

1 Like

Re-posted from 50 First Songs Challenge #37:
Here is my take on The Chain. What a legendary outro on this song, I’ll even grant a pardon for the fade-out. Thanks for watching!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsyIfQk5OJw

Squier CV Jazz (all controls maxed most of the song, bridge pickup only at the end) → Behringer BDI 21 → Interface

16 Likes

Well done. Loved it @dlamson13 !!!

2 Likes

Great job! Well played!@dlamson13

2 Likes

Awesome @dlamson13 ! Very well done.
:+1:

1 Like

well done, as always!

2 Likes

Exactly.
It’s a daily mood,
A daily muse,
A drug more addictive then any actual drug lol

1 Like

Excellent ! This song requires a serious amount of dexterity, and you nailed it. Loved it !

2 Likes

It has been done. I successfully stripped down and have rewritten the guitar tabs for a true bass cover of Like A Villain by Bad Omens :.)
My fingers are completely shredded from all the slides LOL but alas it was very worth it. I’m very proud of this monstrosity I have created; truly one of the greatest songs ever written by Noah Sebastian
https://youtu.be/5jXV_Myih68
I also did a goofy version cause fuck it
https://youtu.be/5LFXaRJqrWQ

12 Likes

Congrats on doing that work.
It is very time consuming but can be very rewarding.

Overall a very nice job on a very fast song with a lot of chugging…
On the cover, what I would focus on is your plucking timing.
On the parts you seem to know well, no issues, but on some passages that speed up or require some neck travel, or maybe you haven’t nailed yet, you have some small pauses or, you speed up and end up being ahead. On the neck travel, you will more than likely have to head to the new area/note a tiny bit early to get there in time.

Remember, it’s the bassist’s job to maintain the groove.
I am working on a couple tunes today, and there are some tricky yet small parts that I always try to rush through to make up for actually not knowing the bits. So…

The best way to practice and nail things like this is - slow it all down, then slow it down some more. Get the notes and the hand positions welded into your brain and fingers, then slowly speed back up and never go faster than you can play cleanly. It might take more time to master, but its worth it.

Keep up the great work man!
Nice video work on #2.

3 Likes

I like it…on my headphones your bassline was super dominant in the mix, so my only suggestion is the levels of the vox and other instruments could be higher so you can hear the bass line in the context of the song easier

1 Like

Great job @Lieutax !
:+1:

1 Like

Top :banana: @dlamson13 that’s such a fun tune to play.

I’m going to say without any hesitation that you were absolutely in the pocket for those first 18 bars. :wink:

3 Likes

I heard this one and brought back memories so I wanted to try it. The TAB from UG was not entirely correct, so I sorta improvised some of it. Hope you like it.

Technical:
Squire CV '70s P Bass
Scarlette 2i2
Reaper DAW
CLA-76 Compressor
Vahalla Room Reverb
Ampeg SVTVR amp sim

18 Likes

Nice cover as always ! but …

I still don’t understand why a lot of people invert the E and R and write “Squire” instead of “Squier” ? Is there something I’m missing ?
:face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I have never gotten it either. “Squire” would be an exceptionally lame name for an instrument brand, sort of like naming a line “Apprentice” or “Newbie”.

1 Like