Post your covers! (2023)

Thanks Barny. The reason for that fretting is to incorporate the slide from the 3rd to the 10th.
I posted my sheet on the #11 song thread. I considered playing the non-slide version and may still do so, especially now that it sounds off to me with my tuning not quite right.

EDIT: The studio version of this song incorporate the slide where the live versions don’t.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not wrong, but the timbre (is that the right word?) of the D note sounds better to my ear on the A string. It’s not important. The doing of thing is; and your timing is good.

3 Likes

Also don’t be afraid of open strings. For chugging and drones they often (and I almost want to say usually) sound better.

1 Like

well done…good playing with a nice sounding set up…the crashes were an appropriate interlude through out, that was a fun touch

2 Likes

Sounds great!
What are you using for earphones?

Edit: Watched further on, so many rock kisses in that video! Ouch!
Always appreciate your edits.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m using Mackie MP240’s. I had a shop credit and it was the only thing I was remotely interested in.

There’s an IEM thread. @eric.kiser got a deal on a pair of IEMs ($50) that I think he liked. He might chime in with his experience. I don’t think you need to spend stupid money. I normally practice with open back over the ear headphones. Great fidelity and super comfy (I can practice up to 4 hours with no discomfort)

3 Likes

Yeah this is my preference too, when not playing through monitors. Love my DT990Pro’s.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread, I’ve been using Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless (not bluetooth) to my PC that allows me to connect my headphone amp to my headphones while also still hearing my computer audio. Makes for practicing much easier without having to plug into another amp or DAI.
I’m interested in getting a decent set or monitor phones, though, to see if I can get a closer representation of what I’m recording. My current setup tents to mute the bass a bit compared to the actual music during recording.

Thanks for the info.

I think it sounds off because you are only sliding to the 9th fret. other than that I thought it was great.

1 Like

sounded great Barney!

1 Like

It’s been a while. I was spending a tone of time learning the Final Cut but it’s not ready for prime time yet. I recorded and loaded up already but I’ve not learn the main editing just yet or I messed up somewhere, I skipped a few lessons, lol.

Anyways, I recorded another song and went low tech with iMovie. Quick and dirty editing pretty primitive but perfect for a caveman, lol.

Song
Broadwalk by Cory Wong stripes album

Bass All artist series, I just realized.

MusicMan Joe Dart II
Fender Marcus Miller: Aguilar Jazz pickup set with John East Marcus Retro preamp
Warwick StarBass Leland Sklar RockBass artist series

BassBuzz custom bass P/JJ by Guns’n’Guitars Dan Thompson.

All except for Joe Dart II are at center detent.

Equipment
Zoom Q8N 4K
Ashdown tone pocket
Playing through Genzler acoustic array pro.

14 Likes

great playing (on all of them)…it was cool to listen to the tone change between each bass…did you try to tone match them at all (to each other or for the song) or did you just set the controls for each bass to your preferred settings?

2 Likes

Thanks. My prefer tone is Vanilla center detent. It took me a while to learn not to touch anything. I hav too many basses to try to make he, sound the same, lol.

The star bass is definitely my favorite it has the Warwick signature sound of boomy low and crisp high. Feels great to play.

3 Likes

WHAAAAT?

OMG you’re right!!!

I’m so ashamed!

Now I really need to re-record this.

4 Likes

Ok, I thought it sounded different because I played the root on the A string when I learned it. But that explains why it sounded a little odd when I played along.

4 Likes

Nice one @Barney! Love how relaxed you are while you play. Silky smooth buddy. Started your own construction company eh? As an independent contractor, good luck! As long as you’re a go getter and can stay motivated there are endless opportunities in the field.

@Justin3 love your covers man. You’re a very skilled player and I love your bird buddy just hangin out on your shoulder the whole time. He seems to enjoy your playing just as much as we do!

@Al1885 that’s quite the assortment of basses you’ve got! All of them sounded fantastic.

I re-recorded my cover of Interstate Love Song, really cranked the volume on my bass and did a video cover as well but it’s not quite finished being edited. Also working on the tabs so hopefully I’ll have it all put together in the next day or so! Great work everyone keep ‘em coming!

4 Likes

we are all here to learn.

2 Likes

Travel weekend for me so I’m just catching up on all the great covers I missed.
Great playing on both covers @Justin3 1! The acoustic sounded awesome! :+1:
Another excellent cover @Barney ! :+1:
@Al1885 I really enjoy a good instrumental piece and that was done beautifully! I like the Joe Dart II the best (my personal opinion). :+1:

Great covers everyone!

1 Like

Yup. I just did another playthrough with the right notes and yup. Wow. Didn’t even notice. Got so used to following the dots on the neck!

2 Likes

Very smooth playing @Al1885, love the way you groove! I like the song too, has a nice relaxing upbeat feel to it. I might put it on my driving mix to lower the blood pressure a little during rush hour. It’s also fun to live vicariously through your bass collection. My favorite sound this time was the BassBuzz custom.

2 Likes