Post your covers! (2023)

Can’t go wrong with Blink, always fun to play :grin:

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:
I definitely noticed :laughing:
Not as bad as my still unposted Guns n Roses attempts though :joy:

1 Like

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (1977) from the superlative album Rumours. This is now my 6th cover from this record.

For the verse McVie pedals on the root note. So far, so straightforward. But the genius of the chorus bass line is that he follows the chord progression by creating a little melody and walking down to each change. Magic and lots of fun to play.

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. I used the Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by John McVie and overdub mine.

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqKVymlARHY

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic pre amp
Amp - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO
Modulation - Retro Reel
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

16 Likes

Probably my overall favorite track on the album, or tied with Dreams. Great cover.

Only possible criticism I would have of this one: Timing seems a little off at the start but is sounding like it is spot on in the bulk of the song. Or it could be that the kick has been weakened too much by removing the bassline and it’s hard to tell. Regardless, it’s still a solid cover.

4 Likes

50 song challenge - song 1 (see details in original post in 50 song challenge thread)

11 Likes

Song 2 (again, details in original thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiG3KFVd6I

(No-bass backing track audio only file here: 50 Song Challenge - CCR - Bad Moon Rising - Cover (No Bass Backing Tracks).mp3 - Google Drive

9 Likes

And lastly, song 3 from the 50 song challenge (again, see details in original post)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O665k_oZHOg

11 Likes

Nice job Barney. That sounds like a lot of fun to play.

2 Likes

Nice work on that one, Barney!
:+1:

1 Like

Always get excited when I see a @Barney cover pop up.
This looks really hard! And you did great.
My feedback is that the chorus runs sound a bit robotic vs the original, I think he played them not as “straight” as you did. There’s a bit of a groove missing.
Hope this makes sense.
Don’t get me wrong though, you did great. I don’t do these super fast tunes at all.

2 Likes

Yeah @John_E / @howard I’m pretty much at the edge of my current ability with this song. I definitely have no extra bandwidth to do anything except try and stay in time and hit the notes. But we do improve by stretching ourselves a little bit I feel.

It’ll be interesting to revisit this in a few years time and see how it feels. I now know from working my way through this album that John McVie is a kick ass bassist.

3 Likes

Hey thanks @John_E ! Thank God those riffs are quite short - the verse sections are a real relief :slight_smile: I’m not sure what I’m actually messing up on but I think its the eighth notes at the end of the first measure -

1 2 (3 & 4 &) : 1 2 (3 & 4)

it’s hard to practise them on the metronome because they’re so fast… Still, something to work on :slight_smile:

Thanks @Ant ! That’s the spirit :slight_smile: :+1:

Hey @mediaklan the song demands a pick. Anyway picks rule fingers drool. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

PREACH

2 Likes

:rofl: fair enough

3 Likes

I commend you on always pushing yourself further. It reminds the rest of us to keep doing the same!

3 Likes

Nice to see you back at it @Ed! That sounded so fun I had to try to play along, nicely done. This song reminds me of The Walking Dead.

2 Likes

Once again, I’m behind in the Post your Covers thread, so all I can say is kudos to all that made the effort. I’ll try to go through and listen to each of them when I get a chance.

• Pam
5 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: It’s worth persevering with - great fun to play !

2 Likes

Today I bring some love to the cover thread with Barry White’s Love’s Theme :heartpulse:. Actually I originally intended to record a short fragment for the missis for Valentine’s Day, but thought I might try the while song and put it on youtube. I may be able to get her to try the flute part …

The bass part is pretty minimal, not surprising really, considering it’s part of the 40-piece Love Unlimited Orchestra :slight_smile: . No effects needed, although with hindsight, I may be tempted to cut some of the bass with an EQ.

The keen-eyed among you will probably notice that the T-bird is strung as ADGC. I originally did this to try some Bach pieces but it actually works really well with Manowar, and I suppose any track where you don’t need the bottom 5 frets. It’s actually really friendly to play - the strings feel a lot lighter. The only problem was that I had to buy a 6-string pack and I’ve got 2 spares (E and B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA7djPiJMc0

12 Likes

Very nice as always @Barney :ok_hand: that is some pro level production!

How do you capture videos by the way? You have a couple of clips of Fleetwood mac in there?

1 Like

Hot damn @Ed that was beautifully perfect!

Wowowowowow!
Pure gold!

2 Likes