Post your covers! (2023)

@John_E @Paul_9207 I have tried playing with a pick before cause there’s a few songs I really want to cover which I have learned but can’t bring myself to play with fingers as it just wouldn’t sound right at all. Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter is one example. It’s tough cause it really is like learning the instrument from scratch again. Maybe I’ll just do what Geddy does and grow my nail super long :rofl:

2 Likes

Other than muting picks are easier for me! Just different. I prefer picking, both for tone and style.

4 Likes

I think doing 50 song challenge is a valuable skills building it expand the toolbox and repertoire as each genres have their different licks and fills. I’m quite limited as I’m lacking in a bunch of genres.

4 Likes

I like your Twins, does he play bass too? I like how you StarTrek in but walk out of the shot.

Really cool video @Paul_9207 and solid playing on both instruments.

2 Likes

That’s a really cool and groovy songs man. I’d love to see this with the drums. That would be a kickass song with all of the HiHat barks.

2 Likes

Nice one man! It’s refreshing to hear something other than 4/4. You got into it a few bars in.

2 Likes

Very well done! @Ant all of the fills and transitions are tastefully done and right on the money.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

2 Likes

I suck at picking period. Lord knows I tried. lol.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

50 Songs Challenge: #15 Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign

A really awesome Blues groove on this song! When I saw the tabs, I felt pretty comfortable with it as the shapes are really close to what I would noodle around with.

I played this one with my JINO bass into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2. XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in
iMovie. Original Bass removed by Moises.ai.

(I need to take more notes about the settings when I do these! We will get there…)

Thanks for checking it out!

9 Likes

This song is way over my ability to play on the drums. I sat down at the kit to try it once and stopped after like 20 seconds :joy:

but thank you Al, I appreciate your kind words.

1 Like

50 Songs Challenge #9: The Temptations - My Girl

Played with the Flea Jazz Bass with foam mute. All tone rolled off and each pickup at about 80%. I ran this into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2. XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in

5 Likes

Well done. Nice laid back groove dude.

After many covers of not doing this, I realized in Abelton (assuming all DAWs have similar) there is a notes section for each track. Now I note which bass and effects and what settings on all in case I ever want that tone again.

2 Likes

Another good one @cheeze_pizza
I think you could have played a bit more behind the beat, just a smidgen, would have given a bit more funky feel.

Fantastic job as usual, sounds great. Keep ‘em coming.

1 Like

Very, very important and super useful!

I am at a point where I need to reverse engineer my own bass lines from half a year ago, because I haven’t made any notes :joy:

2 Likes

Garageband does have this feature and I do use it but my consistency needs work :sweat_smile: Thanks dude!

2 Likes

I’m in the same position with some of the stuff I did for my Vitamin P songs. I have some notes but they are definitely incomplete.

1 Like

Okay! I’ve built a small cache of covers up and have been editing them this weekend so I hope I’m not being too spammy here!

50 Songs Challenge #14 - The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Pop

This is the first cover I’ve recorded with my Talman bass. The knobs on it are still kinda messed up so it’s hard to get a precise setting. With that said, I used the B3K side of the Darkglass head for some grit and broke out a heavy pick and went to town on this one!

XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in

4 Likes

Another great job Ant!

50 Songs Challenge #8: Hank Williams - I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry

Played with Flea Jazz Bass + Foam Mute
Neck Volume 100% Tone 100%
Bridge Volume 100% Tone 0%

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 then XLR Out to Volt 276. Volt using GTR Comp setting + Vintage. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

6 Likes