Post your covers! (2023)

Hi again, everyone! I’ve been trying to play faster songs (mostly punk songs) with a pick.

Here’s 6L GTR by The Chats:

This song is normally slower but they play much more faster live, that’s why I decided to use one of the live versions from 2022.

Thank you for watching!

P.S.: if it looks like I was very focused on the picking part that’s because I was!!)

9 Likes

50 Songs Challenge - Song No. 20: The Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin’

Played with the Jino MIJ Jazz Bass
H pickup isolated
Preamp ON with treble boost and bass flat
H pickup volume at 80%

Ran the bass into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 head
Microtubes Engine ON
Compression 60%
Tone 50%

XLR out to Volt 276 interface
Compression Mode - GTR
Vintage - ON
Gain at 50%

Original Bass removed with Moises.ai. Audio recorded and mixed with GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

Thanks for checking it out! Feedback welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

what a great song

3 Likes

Classic! Well played too.

3 Likes

My Ibanez acoustic bass making its debut tonight. I haven’t listened to the Violent Femmes in a while, then I listened to three albums in the last week. I forget how much I like them, their music really takes me back to my childhood.

Decided to go with the link so I can chase that dopamine high with the views.

Violent Femmes - Kiss Off

Just the bass plugged into the Ampeg then a little mixing in GarageBand. Original bass removed with Moises (except for the solo :wink:)

10 Likes

funny little glitchy video editing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With each video, your playing progression has been inspirational. The Violent Femmes are not the reason I’ve heard their song. Glad to see you back with covers.

3 Likes

I actually tried, for maybe 30 minutes, to learn the solo before I gave up. But I still wanted to do the cover so I had to get creative.

3 Likes

You are too kind to me, @booker_t

3 Likes

@PR_9207 Hey brother, I don’t need a sandwich, place to stay, or friends. I’m all about truth.

4 Likes

@cheeze_pizza Great sounding covers, you are crushing the 50 song challenge! Like them all, some highlights for me were the tone on the U2 track and that sweet fill on the Gorillaz, no “laughstramental” required :rofl:

@iamck74 Nice Megadeth :metal: The song keeps you moving, very solid, will only tighten up with more reps.

@robbp That was intense! Great job with the alternate picking. That definitely requires focus and keeping that right hand relaxed.

@Paul_9207 What a great choice for your first Acoustic cover! I haven’t heard this for years, one of their best tunes for sure. Enjoyed this a lot.

The solo is cool but it’s kind of unstructured chaos. It seems like the type of solo they would never play the same way twice.

4 Likes

That’s a great acoustic sound! When I saw the title I wasn’t sure I knew the song but it became familiar quite quickly. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks man! I think the pace will start slowing now that I’m mostly done with the ‘easy’ ones. :sweat_smile: I’m glad you enjoyed the covers. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you. Ive tightened it up since this video eventually I’ll update it using the techniques I’m learning from @JoshFossgreen :metal:

2 Likes

50 Songs Challenge Song No. 5: AC/DC - Highway to Hell :metal:

Time to ride the Highway!

I used my Jino Bass but forgot to take notes on my settings. I think we went with the H isolation again but I’m not sure…

I hope you enjoy the cover!

4 Likes

Great song ! but with the common tuning issue :confused: … the A is not 440 Hz as usual, but more around 430 Hz, so the bass has to be tuned accordingly otherwise it sounds off.

This is something common with 60’s and 70’s records, and a lot of AC/DC songs have this issue.

An elegant and easy solution is to start with a shifted 440 Hz version of the song.

I used to explain all this 3 years ago :slight_smile: : Post your covers! (2019-2022) - #1361 by terb

3 Likes

As I was typing up the other post over in the 50 songs thread, I came across this fact. :roll_eyes: I was doing takes with a different bass that had slight intonation issues and it made the tone shift even more noticeable! Oh well - perhaps I can add in the shifted version in place of the audio I used. It’s worth a re-visit down the line. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, you could try :slight_smile: I hope that the pitch shifting does not change the timing, you’ll see !

1 Like

Considering I can’t even post this one to YouTube, I’m not so sure it’s worth a ton of effort. But I’ll have a gander at the pitch shifter nonetheless.

1 Like

at least now you’re aware about this issue !

2 Likes