Post your covers! (2023)

Oh hell, thats heavy.
I have option of getting Yamaha BB424 for really cheap and its brand new one, which I really like, but it has that same weight.
There’s no way I’m carrying that on my shoulder.

3 Likes

ooh, I would’ve loved a BB, but they only had a 5 string in the shop, that’s what I wanted away from :smile:

3 Likes

12lbs is really heavy, even for a BB, that trend heavy. My BB734A was under 9.

3 Likes

from what I can see, it’s about 4.5kg (~9 lbs)

1 Like

I’m okay with bass being up to 10 lbs or ~4,5kgs. Anything above it is big no from me.

I can understand that, I’m not into PJ 5 string also.

1 Like

The Fender Marcus Miller Jazz is around 12 too
My bari sax is 11 and hangs from my neck.
I’m not onstage for an hour night after night, I’m at home playing.
I don’t really see weight as an issue.
Maybe just used to it from sax.

3 Likes

Wonder if OG model Marcus uses is also that heavy.

I mean I get it, we play mostly sitting down, but at some point you might wanna sell it to get something else. Then the issue might happen.

Regarding the BB, I guess weight is the issue why shop never sold it after all these years.
And they gave big discount on it. Imagine in 2023 you have brand new BB424 on shelf for 300 euros.

1 Like

it wouldn’t be if I was anywhere near! :joy:

1 Like

Even if it is ~12lbs, 5,5kgs?

2 Likes

not much worse than the jazz bass apparently, so yeah, I’m fine with that :smile:

2 Likes

That’s not any Jazz, my Jazz is like 3,8kgs. And usual weight is up to 4kgs.

That’s 70s Jazz, most of them are like tanks.

2 Likes

idk, I’m just goin by Google :smile:

If that is correct, it’s a brick.

Fender and Squier don’t use the same woods for the bodies. This makes the weight vary greatly.

3 Likes

it’s not light, but I love it! :smile:

But poplar and basswood are generally lighter than alder?

2 Likes

Yes but they can use other woods. I remember that a few years ago, they used some kind of “light maple” (but still maple, probably still way heavier than alder) on the higher end Squier Jazz Bass. Our regretted fellow bazzbuzzian Joe had one of these.

3 Likes

Oh you are right. I forgot about thing where they will use anything once they dont have proper wood. I’ve heard even that MusicMan would sometime use poplar on painted bodies when they are out of swamp ash and/or alder.

Yeah they use it on Natural CV 70’s Jazz, was it soft or light maple? Hmmmm

2 Likes

I have a '84 Fender Stratocaster (MIA) that is made out of poplar. Not a problem for me, poplar is fine as a tonewood. Basswood is fine too, by the way.

1 Like

They are both very iconic and hold their value quite well.
I would worry about this perhaps if on something less known, but if you are shopping for a T-40 or a MM Fender, you know what you want already.

My Lakland 5’er is 10lbs 3 oz
My ESP B206 6’er is 11lbs 3oz

Hard to keep the weight down when you start adding strings, lol.

4 Likes