Post your covers! (2023)

Damn @Barney!! You slayed this one! Great cover man!

4 Likes

Been there many times…. Now I just play them through once (maybe twice) for a recording since I like to record the same as I would if playing live on stage.

3 Likes

It’s different playing in front of the camera. I get so distracted. I don’t know where to lay my eyes because if I look at the screen on the side of the camera then I got stuck staring at it and make mistake. I don’t usually look at the fingerboard so looking is a big part, lol.

3 Likes

Ok, folks, here is my first video cover.

Please be kind. :smiley:

My camera and lighting leaves something to be desired, and I’m not sure if I’m 100% happy with the bass tone/levels. This is the start of a process.

Apologies in advance for the facial expressions and inability to stand still. I tried, I really tried, but I just can’t do it. I have to move around when I play. =/

https://vimeo.com/789165140
AC/DC, Have a Drink on Me

18 Likes

Totally get it @Al1885…. I’ve gotten so use to playing live with a band that now it’s much easier recording covers in front of a camera. I don’t use any sheet music when I play, and just play as if I’m playing with a group. When I play with other musicians, I’m usually always looking at them and their body language. Sometimes I do look at my fretboard - especially if there’s a bass solo involved. When I do record, I turn on my TV which is on the wall in front of me and watch it while I play and record…. Instead of having an audience in front of me, I have the TV instead…. If not the TV in front of me, I’ll look out the window instead at times. I don’t like looking at cameras either - they psyche me out!!:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds most excellent Tim!

So…you’re sorry for feeling the music and getting into a groove?? :rofl: Keep on bouncing and making faces dude! Looks like you were having a blast.

Great first cover. :+1:

3 Likes

Cliff would be proud @JustTim
Sounded great

2 Likes

Congrats and welcome to the covers thread @JustTim
Fantastic job man, sound, tone, groove, mix, bopping.
You’ve been hiding a lot of talent, keep ‘em coming !!

6 Likes

Great cover Growl! Not familiar with the song but it sounds awesome to me. Nice finger work!
:+1:

2 Likes

Excellent first cover @JustTim!! Love the tone, timing, and YES on the facial expressions!! You were into it and feelin’ the groove! The only thing that (just my personal opinion) I would like to hear would be just a little more aggressiveness on the attack - especially for an AC/DC song like this. This might be a really cool one to use a pick on…??..

5 Likes

I think the original was played with a pick using an MM but as a no pick player I thought it was unfair for me to comment

4 Likes

REAL bass players don’t use picks.

I’m just kidding. Looking at some old footage of some live shows, I think it was played with a pick. But I don’t have the pick “chops” for that yet.

4 Likes

No we will not an ounce of leniency, lol.

You killed it man. I especially the staccato bit towards the end was perfect. Love it, found myself nodding along with you.

5 Likes

Yeah the audio clip piece was funky love that.

4 Likes

So many great covers, really enjoyed catching up tonight, from The Chain to Chains and the great beyond, y’all inspire me :musical_note:

@John_E I absolutely LOVE your tone on this. I never get tired of that legendary riff when the bass comes back in.

@cheeze_pizza What a cool song to pick, the bassline has such a dark melancholy feel, and it really shines on this tune. You played it very well, excellent first up!

@DeadPixels Nice choice and playing, I think you locked in more as the song progressed. This sounds like a tricky one. I sometimes find playing to piano centered music tough, probably because they dip down into our zone. I remember pretending to like this song a long time ago to try and impress a girl, now I can appreciate it more genuinely :slight_smile:

@Barney You have such a pulse, maybe I gotta follow your advice and play to a drum machine more. Bonus points for the “Hammer Time” sign.

@Growl That is a lot of effects, but it all sounds great. Excellent rhythm throughout and a nice slap outro.

@JustTim That’s the way to enter the cover game! A super tight AC/DC cover with style. You rocked it, no apologies allowed.

7 Likes

@dlamson13 you just hit on something here, these guys do have a knack for choosing great songs.

3 Likes

We’re always kind in the ‘Post Your Covers’ thread!

That my friend was an awesome start to your covers posting. The whole recording / editing / mixing thing will get easier and faster with practice but that was waaaay way better than the first thing I ever recorded.

Nice to have you onboard :metal:

5 Likes

Tip top @Growl, another song added to my job site playlist :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks! it’s a bit tricky in places, cos string skipping is still a weak point for me :smile: mostly not too bad though :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@JustTim YAY, one of us, one of us, one of us.

That’s awesome playing for the first cover, and faces and expressions are must have for a bassist. I rememmber when I was young and my cousin is a bassist too, and he played first time in front of me, he has this weird head movement and facial expression.
Something like this.

I laughed my ass off first time.

Heck, soon I’ll start to take this as challenge. If Barney doesn’t add it to playlist, it aint good.

@dlamson13 @Lanny Thanks man!

8 Likes