Post your covers! (2023)

Haha! Thanks, John. Yeah… I got the idea to shave the first time and pretty much immediately regretted it. Never again LOL!!

2 Likes

Hi groaner. Sheba is a blue fronted Amazon and she’s about 43 years old. I adopted her in 2018 after my previous parrot passed away. I hope you’re enjoying your Kingman bass!

3 Likes

Give Shiba a rub behind the ears for me! She’s lovely!
That’s what chuckles was!

2 Likes

Will do!

1 Like

That’s a fun cover and you definitely looked like you were having a great time @groaner.

1 Like

That sounded great! It looks like a fun song to play.

3 Likes

I always liked this song as a kid in the 70s. Really cool and fun bass line and features Joe Walsh on guitar.

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island (1977) bass cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HTks03diQ

8 Likes

Nice chugging @groaner

My observation is that you’re playing the root note on the E string down at the 10th fret. If you played that D as 5th fret A string. You will be more efficient with your fretting hand. i.e less distance to move.You’d keep all the notes in a smaller area.

1 Like

I recently started my own construction company and man, working for yourself sure eats into important Bass time :slight_smile:

Limited hours meant that I thought I’d have a go at a song that’s probably in every single top 10 beginner bass lines clickbait title on YouTube.

Queen - Another one Bites the Dust

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by John Deacon and overdub mine.

Mountain bike carnage for my buddy @Al1885

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oeRjeeIGqg

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Acoustic 360
Delay - Simple Delay (Line6)
Modulation - Retro Reel
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - HX Stomp

16 Likes

That’s a great cover, love the thumpy tone. My favorite band for sure. Your timing is right on. The Staccato notes are very tight and punchy. love it.

I don’t know how you gather all of my ride videos, but kudos. They called me the Geologist because I take a lot of Soil Samples, lol.

Thanks @Barney

3 Likes

Nicely done @Barney. Nothing wrong with covering the classics, especially when you sound that good doing it. Really like that punchy tone. Congrats on the new business, wishing you lots of success!

2 Likes

Thanks Barny. The reason for that fretting is to incorporate the slide from the 3rd to the 10th.
I posted my sheet on the #11 song thread. I considered playing the non-slide version and may still do so, especially now that it sounds off to me with my tuning not quite right.

EDIT: The studio version of this song incorporate the slide where the live versions don’t.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not wrong, but the timbre (is that the right word?) of the D note sounds better to my ear on the A string. It’s not important. The doing of thing is; and your timing is good.

3 Likes

Also don’t be afraid of open strings. For chugging and drones they often (and I almost want to say usually) sound better.

1 Like

well done…good playing with a nice sounding set up…the crashes were an appropriate interlude through out, that was a fun touch

2 Likes

Sounds great!
What are you using for earphones?

Edit: Watched further on, so many rock kisses in that video! Ouch!
Always appreciate your edits.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m using Mackie MP240’s. I had a shop credit and it was the only thing I was remotely interested in.

There’s an IEM thread. @eric.kiser got a deal on a pair of IEMs ($50) that I think he liked. He might chime in with his experience. I don’t think you need to spend stupid money. I normally practice with open back over the ear headphones. Great fidelity and super comfy (I can practice up to 4 hours with no discomfort)

3 Likes

Yeah this is my preference too, when not playing through monitors. Love my DT990Pro’s.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread, I’ve been using Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless (not bluetooth) to my PC that allows me to connect my headphone amp to my headphones while also still hearing my computer audio. Makes for practicing much easier without having to plug into another amp or DAI.
I’m interested in getting a decent set or monitor phones, though, to see if I can get a closer representation of what I’m recording. My current setup tents to mute the bass a bit compared to the actual music during recording.

Thanks for the info.

I think it sounds off because you are only sliding to the 9th fret. other than that I thought it was great.

1 Like