Post your covers! (2023)

@Al1885 for some reason my brain does not allow me to play over the neck pickup. I think it’s just where I have gotten comfortable. It feels awkward to anchor my thumb on the neck pickup and I have a tendency to really attack my strings. Playing near the bridge allows me to dig in without any buzz. I am still working on my consistency because as you said when the song slows down a bit or becomes more intricate I tend to play with less pressure.

@EddieJones thanks buddy! :hugs:

@dlamson13 I love STP. Way better than Pearl Jam IMO (and I’m from Seattle). Eddie Vedder just doesn’t do much for me and I think Scott Weiland was a far superior vocalist anyway and you can actually understand what he’s saying in the songs :rofl:.

Glad you guys liked it!

5 Likes

STP are an interesting case. I think they were kind of harmed by their popularity at the time, ironically.

At the time I didn’t like either STP or Pearl Jam, I was way more in to Nirvana (from Bleach onwards, always great), Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Hole, etc, but really trended more punk and industrial than grunge for that side of things. Part of it was also being from the PNW you just couldn’t get away from STP and Pearl Jam; they were heavy rotation everywhere, like every cafe, coffee shop, etc. Meanwhile there was tons of interesting stuff coming out of Seattle and Portland, and there was just so much going on with so many choices that anything you didn’t really like got sidelined pretty fast.

Still not in to PJ at all, but STP I can now appreciate more. They were a lot more complex than I gave them credit for, and I should have given them more time at the time.

1 Like

Great to hear the perspective of someone that lived through the era. I was born in '90, so sadly I missed the grunge scene but obviously every big band is still played heavily on the local rock radio stations. There’s a few PJ songs I absolutely love, like Why Go, but overall…meh. Probably the worst of the Seattle grunge bands IMO. Nirvana is one of those bands that as I grow older I enjoy a lot less than I used to. Kurt had a great voice, his performance on the MTV unplugged… pure gold, just got overplayed I think.

STP is a band I didn’t have a ton of exposure to, or I would hear on the radio and be like “I like that song, what band was that?” so maybe I like them so much because they don’t feel as played out as the rest of the grunge era bands :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing if I hadn’t been bombarded with them and just heard them alongside the other bands I would have had a different take at the time. For some reason west coast radio just latched on to them.

Regardless, your covers are awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The recent change in my work / bass balance, has meant I’m having to be realistic and adapt my cover goals. With so little free little time this week; I’ve chosen a simple song BUT forced myself to play with a pick. The pick is my nemesis, but I’m embracing the suck.

The Cure - Why Can’t I be You?

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoWtHAPM0cA

Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by Simon Gallup and overdub mine.

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO
Modulation - A/DA Flanger
Modulation - Retro Reel
Distortion - BOSS SD-1 Overdrive
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - HX Stomp

15 Likes

great cover of a great song from a great album :slight_smile:

Nice Seinfelding too :rofl:

3 Likes

Great job Barney! I like the use of monochrome for the video.
:+1:

2 Likes

Did this one about 3 years back. I forgot about it until now, which seems an appropriate time to post it.
Gordon Lightfoot - “If You Could Read My Mind” (1970) bass play along

10 Likes

Nice Justin. I haven’t heard that song in a long time.
:+1:

1 Like

I had to spread it out over two days, but I finally watched it and I enjoyed it very much. Nice work John!

3 Likes

sounds awesome, great looking bass too!

1 Like

I’m just so happy to see someone else do a Cure cover! I know Howard did one, but it was before my time and I still enjoyed it. This did brighten my day. Thanks Barney. Sounded great too, by the way.

2 Likes

That was a lot of fun! very nicely done.

3 Likes

That’s brings back some great memory. @Justin3 the acoustic tone was great and not too bright with the piezo pickup.

2 Likes

Good one @Barney your picking technique is sound, I’m definitely jealous especially after @John_E medley. I’m usually not a fan of Flats but this one is very nice and not too much overtone and fits the genre perfectly.

2 Likes

Well done @Barney sounded great!
You need some eyeliner for this one.

4 Likes

Testing out my new setup with the Zoom Q8N 4k.

It’s a fun song to play I wish I have more time under the finger especially with some fills, but it’s a good work in progress, lol.

Cover
St Paul by Cory Wong

Bass
Warwick Corvette $$ 5 string
MusicMan Stingray 5 35th anniversary

Zoom Q8N 4K
Ashdown tone pocket
Radial engineering JDI direct box

I started on my desktop but finished on my iPad Pro when I uploaded I listened again on the monitors I realized that the channel 1 (bass) was quite a bit louder than I heard on the iPad, lol.

Well, hopefully I’d redo it, but for now enjoy.

17 Likes

Nice! Love the flourishes.

3 Likes

I’s a fun song with lots of room to play, lol. The count is a bit tricky.

2 Likes

Very nicely done Al! Enjoyed it.

1 Like