Post your covers! (2023)

Great choice of tune! Very well done, Al! The crowd loved it :joy:

2 Likes

I thought, oh is that a new multi effects pedal from Zoom? :joy:

What a fantastic way to start a rainy Saturday morning. Coffee in hand and Al’s magically changing bass video. Lovely

2 Likes

Compare and contrast these two images.

2 years ago one of my first ever covers, not long after finishing the B2B course. Staring at the fret board with all of the concentration my tiny walnut brain can muster. Ring finger curled up in some odd ‘flying fingers’ fashion.

Relaxed, not staring at the fret board with a flattish fretting hand. I can thank Mark Smith for that, because I learned / learnt that from his Bassic Fundamentals course where he calls it the ‘home position’. I spent months working on relaxing and flattening the hand to improve my muting.

So what? Well I think recording yourself and getting constructive feedback from this positive community is a fast way to improve. I see a lot of regulars on here commenting and posting (mainly) interesting stuff, but a significantly smaller pool of people giving the ‘Post Your Covers’ thing a go.

I’d love to sit down with a coffee and enjoy a cover from @MikeC @Wombat-metal @Mac @AnotherJosh @EddieJones @autumnsdad1990 @Paul @MC-Canadastan @eric.kiser @Mike_NL @itsratso @Reasonably_Happy

As they say in Llandow, ciao for now

13 Likes

Thanks @JerryP

2 Likes

We are playing this in a few weeks, I thought to myself each time I dragged the 16th if this was live, somehow it’d have been in the pocket the live crowd usually deliver the extra energy that the camera could never do, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea, I really want to put the Boss GT 1B in the chain, imma figure out where in the chain I can drop this in. Thanks @Barney

3 Likes

Your left hand is doing great but you failed to acknowledge the fantastic job of the right hand. It’s text book! Soft and alternating and even unless your compressor is doing a great job, :joy: I wish I have the discipline to do that every time. Kudos.

4 Likes

Thanks Barney, when I got some more time and focus I should really give this a go!

4 Likes

This is really on the nitpicking side… I only noticed you were a hair late after those flourishes. But, yeah, with that extra energy, it’s gonna be perfect :smile:

3 Likes

A call out! Good man @Barney! I have considered doing it. I’m not as capable technology wise but I know that side of things is well documented here so that excuse carry’s little weight. I also don’t have a computer, my other excuse, but they make full on films with phones now so… dengit… callout accepted. Timeline to be established. Needs to be fun, unexpected, contain too many Zoom products… to be continued.

5 Likes

As far as covers go, I am technology impaired when it comes to how to go about it. I know all the threads that discuss it in detail. But my brain doesn’t wrap around the process of DAI, DAW’s and all the crap needed to make a good one.

3 Likes

You are right, @Barney, I really need to record and post a couple of covers again. I’m actually working on quite a number of songs. What’s holding me back is that I always think I’m not good enough yet, and that I still need to practice some more. I know that perfect is the enemy of good, and that I just have to get it done at some point. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! I promise I’ll post something soon.

5 Likes

That, my dear @Barney, sounds like a call to arms :slight_smile:

I promise that before the end of the summer Icwill do at least one cover. I’ve been meaning to get down to it but it’s been hard between my move and getting the new house going.

4 Likes

This too.

3 Likes

I think perfect is what mess everyone up most of the time. When I’m not recording I usually play well and not missing a lot, most songs are in the pocket, once the recording button is pressed, the anxiety hits, lol. Things gets even worse when I use my DAWs, now that I can punch in my focus just went out the door, lol.

Best for me in most situations is live, I either fail epically or gloriously come out on top, in one take. Pressure is a great thing and wiggle room just usually makes me wiggle.

2 Likes

Yes, to your high standard. If I use my standard as a benchmark which is probably same as yours (all bassists) I’d never post any videos. That said, I agree with @Barney the more videos you post the better you’ll get because you’ll recognize whatever shortcoming you made and automatically correct yourself the next time.

I could have taken a few more takes on my last cover but I thought it’s more authentic one taker as it is so I kept it, flaws and all. It serves as a reminder how I’m doing at this point with a couple of weeks on this songs comparing to 6 months and a year from now how my timing and fills would improve.

I highly encourage everyone to do this.

3 Likes

This was fun to do…

13 Likes

That’s a great one @JerryP. I’d take back every anemic pickups comment I had on my Aerodynes. That’s plenty deep, the flats really works too.

2 Likes

Thanks Al!
I used the Ampeg SVT3 Pro amp sim as well, but before I added to the chain, it still sounded pretty good.

It’s 8pm on a Saturday and I just got off work. I’m on one big project after another for a big client, working weekends for the last few months.

I haven’t had time for a decent practice session in I don’t know how long. I get a few minutes a day, if I’m lucky.

The best I’ve been able to do is watch a video lesson before I crash every night.

I’d love to have the time shoot a cover, or nine, but I just don’t. The pay is great and the work is plentiful. I gotta make hay while the making is good.

2 Likes