Post your covers! (2023)

Nice to have you back Brik! Very well done, I enjoyed it!

1 Like

Booker T. & the M.G.'s - Time Is Tight

Classic song originally played by Duck Dunn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elN-57ErcLM

Thank you for watching!

10 Likes

Great job Rob! Well done.

4 Likes

Bass cover of Fenix Tx - Surf Song…Not a perfect take, but my cat Jelly came to watch me so I had to use it

Have been playing for 8 months…Fender P Bass into Behringer umc404hd audio interface into Logic DAW
Original Bass removed with Moises.ai
edited in iMovie
https://youtu.be/rn3_jTkgj64

Fenix Tx - Surf Song

9 Likes

You had to use it, Jelly 100% approved it. Nice cover, you guys are some cool cats :slight_smile:

@robbp Nice groove. Its interesting how the hi hat is so loud and almost entirely in the right channel, kind of makes a perfect click track. Thanks for the Duck Dunn link, wow, I knew he was a legend, but didn’t realize just how many iconic lines were his.

3 Likes

Love this tune and you did a great job @Ant
You have really come far in a short time, congrats man!

2 Likes

No need to post video, audio only goes here too.
You did a good job @Huth_S0lo
The groove is off a bit here and there, falling in/out of the pocket.
I would expect this in the beginning, and will dial in over time.
Love the tone!
Overall an excellent first cover!!!
Keep 'em coming.

4 Likes

Nice job @robbp
Maybe a little too much low end, lol - a filter to get rid of a tad of the muddy but otherwise your playing is just great as usual.

…and… that pillow really ties the couch together :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

man, I instantly loved the tone on this @g13dip
If you made mistakes I didn’t hear them or care, loved it (don’t point them out either, most times they are not noticed in a good performance anyway).
Never heard of this song before but added it to my rotation

2 Likes

Its not visible on screen but I close micd the bass which lets me bring out the metallic gangle of the P in the mids a bit more by blending with the DI

the song was a bit of a deep cut, a non single off a mild selling album from about 25 yrs ago, but it is a fun wannabe song and cool to play

1 Like

Hey @robbp long time no hear. Great to see you back.

Really enjoyed that track. Top banana :banana: :banana: :banana:

3 Likes

8 months? That’s a solid effort for such a short time. Sounded like a puurfect take to me. Nice work :metal:

4 Likes

This song is from Mark Knopfler’s 2004 album Shangri-La. It’s all about Ray Kroc. I’d never heard about Kroc until I listened to the song. But oh boy, was he ever a real piece of work. The 2016 movie called The Founder captures what a ruthless guy he was.

The original bass line by the superb Glenn Worf was pretty straight ahead. So I tried to keep it simple, serve the song and not get in the way.

Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line and overdub mine.

Mark Knopfler - Boom, Like That

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyzom8xGsXk

HX Stomp
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic pre amp
Amp - Gallien-Krueger GK 800RB
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Modulation - Retro Reel
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

9 Likes

Great job Barney that songs awesome. You’ll have to tell me how do you keep your Freddy and ham so calm you l make it look so effortless. Any suggestions would be great certainly help me with my Fretting hand! Nice job as always!

4 Likes

Sorry, I was using Siri to text this

2 Likes

nice song and nice relaxed playing as usual Barney

@Glenn Freddy and ham = fretting hand lol…I am going to use that, thanks Glenn (and Siri)

4 Likes

:joy:

Great job @Barney .

2 Likes

Thank you @Glenn . The boring answer to how I keep my Freddy and Ham calm is practice.

When I finished my B2B I tried a bunch of other courses. One of those was Mark Smith’s Talking bass course called Bassic Fundamentals. There was obviously a lot of duplication from the B2B course but there were some excellent little technique exercises that were explained in a slightly different way. I’m a big fan of spending money on lessons vs gear.

Anyway it’s what he calls the ‘home position’. You rest your hand over all 4 strings to mute them if you’re not playing. It took me months of deliberate practice to drill this into my hand so it just felt natural.

So my advice is to place all 4 fingers across the fret board. Put on a drum machine or some kind of backing track and just practice playing a quarter root note and then returning your hand to this resting position to mute the note. At the next bar play another quarter note and repeat.

I’d do this whilst watching YT bass related content. I’d spend about an hour a day just playing a simple progression and focusing on returning to that neutral position. Boring but then sometimes you’ve just got to put in the work!

5 Likes

@Barney that was great! Enjoyed it. Somehow I’ve never even heard that song before. Shame on me. Hope you don’t mind that I watched this 3 times and only replied once…

4 Likes

Two great videos…
Nice work @g13dip ! Jelly seems to be enjoying the show.

Another awesome job @Barney ! Knopfler is one of my favorites.

4 Likes