Post your covers! (2023)

Finally home and can listen to these covers on proper speakers.
Wow man wow on the tone here @dlamson13
Whole thing sounds of fantasticness.

2 Likes

@JerryP - i think you missed your calling as a sound engineer.
Your ability to find the absolute most fantastic tone for each song you do is outstanding.
This was GREAT!

Great playing, nice laid back feel too.

3 Likes

What a great tone match here @Jerry_the_Cowboy !
So much for needing a Ric!
This was great, and solidified my thinking that I will never play any Yes tunes, lol.

4 Likes

Thanks much John! If I could go back, I think I would become a recording engineer.

me too!

1 Like

Hello All,

Here is an open mic set that Nate and I played together. We do not have a band name yet so I throw out different titles each time. We performed a sandwich of Originals with a Jam Medley in the middle.

I learned so much during this set. Everything from sound or breathing or paper weight. Nate is clearly the major cog of this musical machine.

Thanx For Watching, Have A Wonderful Weekend, And Remember That They Are Not The Wrong Notes, Just Leading Notes. Yahoooo000000

Be Well,
Cheers

5 Likes

that’s cool !

could you write clearly each band name and song that you covered, for the annual count and list ? thanks !

I think I recognized some parts of The Roof Is On Fire by Coal Chamber ?!

1 Like

Thanks @Barney!

Love this bass, been practicing with it a lot, working on my note accuracy. It’s pretty versatile too, not just for traditional “fretless” stuff.

1 Like

Thanks John! My usual “kill all the treble” motown settings didn’t sound right. I ended up cranking the tone and going neck pickup only on this. Then recorded direct out of the Behringer BDI.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed that set @travis.thepadre.reed! Thanks for sharing. You guys made some smooth transitions in the medley. That takes work to coordinate. No need to call out mistakes. I miss notes in my covers all the time, but have the luxury of going back and fixing them. You can’t fake it live. No rewind button, wind blowing, dogs barking, that’s the real deal! But there is nothing like playing live music, sounded like a great crowd, wishing you many more successful gigs :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

I’d probably not be recording by sections. Bitesize recording on a bass does not work for me, especially for covers. I’d prefer one take on the video per bass. Usually from memory and at best chord chart, anything more would not help me much when I perform at rehearsal or at a gig as none of the members use any sheets except for the keyboard player because he has a macbook to trigger stuffs so he has additional stand/ table for them.

I used to do the recording like that in the studio or at home but it led to multiple takes and mood change and all sorts of bad habits for me especially the stress-free playing because you can go back and re-do, which you can’t in a live performance. A little of nerves and stress can be great in a live playing situation, it gets you to rise to the challenge at certain sections of the song where you need to nail it.

I record one time through on my DAW and if I need to fix some then I go back and fix some but not split them up. Though I do that with Keys and Guitar parts because I only have enough talent and ability to only carry about 8-12 bars, lol.

5 Likes

Solid finger works there @Growl good to have you back. It’s not an easy song when the bass is walking non stop. You did awesome. I love the song too.

2 Likes

This is great. love it when you get in to it. solid picking! @g13dip

2 Likes

Oh Glory! it’s from Secretariat soundtrack. That’s some awesome finger tone. Always a joy to watch your covers. The tone is just awesome.

2 Likes

That’s a great production video @JerryP great tone setup quite fitting to the song and the playing is awesome. Love the multiple camera angle and the black and white is definitely a nice touch.

1 Like

@Jerry_the_Cowboy it was a fun cover to watch for sure. Love the aggressive picking awesome tone. It’s definitely Yessy enough for Yes!

2 Likes

Thank you very much Al! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Ditto! This is supernatural!

1 Like

Great perfomance @travis.thepadre.reed 2 instruments band that’s a solid performance.

2 Likes

Alright, bear with me here, this was another track that I had neglected due to work.
Background: after completing the Chord tones course from talking bass I wanted to put it to use, so I was looking for a song where I could add my own bass part.
Enter this song Triunfamos from a genre known as Bolero, by Los Panchos, which were essentially 3 guys playing acoustic guitar, there’s a bit of percussion on the recording, but no proper bass, nothing electric. The song is slow and simple enough for me, plus I had no influence/reference from a prior bass line, which it’s what I wanted.
I looked for the chords on this site chords Triufamos then depending on the type of chord I played different combinations of either the triad, or just root and 5th, or root and 7b, maybe adding a transition note in between. Unfortunately I never wrote anything down (I really should have) essentially relying on memory every time I had a chance to get back to the bass, which of course didn’t work as well and I forgot some “good stuff” that I came up with along the way; but for the purpose of the exercise it’s good enough.
The mp3 file I had actually had a second song attached in sequence, Contigo, so I followed the same process and finished the whole thing. chords - Contigo This one was mostly root and 5th, more rhythmic, less melodic than Triunfamos.

I’d like your input, as some might remember from my come as you are cover, my ear is not the best:

1. Were the notes I played over the correct chords?
  2. Does the bass seem to belong to the song?
    Those were my primary goals, I can hear and see some blemishes that I missed while playing, but I feel ok about it overall.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

https://youtu.be/RUa2JPNJPiA

5 Likes