Post your covers! (2024)

I just need to sit down and record something. I’ve got a few easy songs that I know well enough to do it (would probably be Siamese Twins by the Cure). I’m just nervous about knocking that first one out, but keep telling myself that I’ll do it when I learn something less simple.

4 Likes

Finally managed to post my first cover of the year :tada:

This song took me an age to learn, as I memorize songs by pattern, and the bassist plays variations each time (verses and choruses etc), but the UG tab didn’t get a lot of it…after much listening to the extracted bass line I have reached something closer to the original

I learned the song in sections (because it naturally breaks up that way), but I thought it would be a great idea to record the first time I played it right through from start to finish…!!!…I’m glad I got it done, but it took half a morning of aborted attempts to get it recorded in the end

So here is my first ever play through of
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home
(My first non-punk cover and 1st song from this century too :laughing:)

Original bassline removed with Moises.ai
Recorded with ’83 MIJ Fender P bass through my pedal board (and 30W tube amp) into Logic

14 Likes

That’s a fun one man. It helps when you are enjoying it too. I like it.

3 Likes

Sounds good @Johnnyb!!

2 Likes

That’s great, @g13dip.

I particularly like the Siamese audience! I have an Oriental, the most talkative mammal I’ve ever known!

2 Likes

That’s cool @Diego317!

2 Likes

Great job g13dip! That was fun to listen to.

1 Like

Great job @g13dip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Beatles - Tell Me Why
I did some experimenting with the mix on this; I’m not 100% happy with it but I posted it anyway, so feel free to comment.

Signal chain:
Hofner
Zoom B1Four with LMT-76 patch
Rumble 100 (all controls flat)
Scarlett 2i2 DAI
Reaper DAW
CLA-76 compressor plugin
Valhalla reverb

Thanks for watching.

13 Likes

Great playing! Maybe the bass a little higher in the mix?

1 Like

Thanks sunDOG.

Yeah, maybe.

1 Like

I took a slightly too long break from work today. :slight_smile: Made a playlist of all your 2024 YouTube covers! I’ll try to update it as new covers are posted.https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfsBMY-35cRlwlz2G7HnjrwqhiTNXgpwp&si=fecOZm74LYadnuCm

10 Likes

that’s a great idea @Johnnyb :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a fantastic idea! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Yup, you just gotta do it. It’s great to record yourself for many reasons. My progress increased exponentially when I started posting videos here. You can see and hear how to play better. And we have lots of love for The Cure here too.

5 Likes

That’s a great cover @JerryP. Right bass, right tone a the picking is spotted on. I have not heard that song in a minute.

1 Like

Thanks Al! Appreciate it.

I agree with @Paul_9207 here, by recording yourself you’re going to improve. None of us are virtuoso bassist and we’re all on the journey. I only started recording myself at the beginning of the year…

Some songs I play better than others, but hey, it’s a process. I don’t compare myself to others, but to myself and my personal goals. Am I more comfortable with the instrument? Am I having fun? Am I playing stuff that resonates? Am I ready to start playing with others? On that last point, I’m still a beginner, but hell yes!

6 Likes

That’s for certain. And it’s also a great way to improve a lot of peripheral skills, like being able to listen carefully to a mix for example. Very very useful in a musician’s life.

4 Likes

50 Songs Challenge Song no. 50:

Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name

That’s all she wrote folks…50 songs in the bag. I’ve been at this challenge since Late July of 2023 and what a journey it’s been. It’s been quite rewarding even though there has certainly been stress along the way.

…and don’t forget I already did Hysteria! :nerd_face:

I’ve been itching to do a deep dive on some Mayer Hawthorne songs so I think my attention will start to get focused in that direction and with some luck I might be able to get a cover of one of his songs done this week.

Until next time…pizza man out!

18 Likes