Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks Brendan @Brendan,
Aussie crawl were a great bandšŸ‘,
Keep your eye out for a few more I am working on :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Iā€™m usually in lurk mode here but popping up to say that was really cool! I also have a Hofner Ignition and really love it. Tina, Paul, Flea, you & me - Hofners forever!

5 Likes

sorry @TNKA36 Iā€™ve had some technical difficulties and also a BIG lack of time, so Iā€™m one week late to listen to your cover.

very nice and appropriate bass tone, as always. the only thing is that your timing tends to be a bit early. itā€™s easy to figure out, for exemple during the intro before the singing begins. anyway, good cover overall !

'hope it helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Laurent, @terb.
I will revisit and have a closer listen, could be something in the syncing??
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a sync issue, to me it seems more like a slightly floating timing. donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not saying itā€™s horrible :slight_smile: just trying to point out something to improve your playing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is my first cover with a 5-string. Not perfect, but made it through. A few blips and issues with plucking consistency, but happy enough to move on. Constantine did this cover a few weeks ago and I thought it was a good place to start with that extra B string. THe original track was a synth bass, so turned up the gain to try to get that sound. Bass removed from track as best I could. Went straight into the Focusrite, TRBX305, 70/30ish neck/bridge, bass rolled up a hair, trebble back a hair.
Constructive critiquing is very welcome.

I remember looking at albums in Caldorā€™s (old school department store in the northeast) and seeing the first Culture Club album and thinking ā€œWho is that, sheā€™s kinda cuteā€?

https://youtu.be/g0pA5b4s7WM

13 Likes

Hi John, @John_E,
You did a great job on the 5ver, nice tone and some smooth work getting around the fretboard.
Conā€™s stuff is really very good to use as he does great transcripts, and you can watch and learn his playing style.
I have done a few of his as well, Seasons in the sun, you belong to the city, angel of harlem, just to name a few.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

You did great @John_E, good tone and timing. You made good use of that B string. Iā€™m sort of missing my 5ver.

6 Likes

You had a good one :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Excellent playing @John_E especially with the tricky timing of that song.

5 Likes

Great job @John_E! I havenā€™t heard that song in a long time. Very nice performance on the five string!
:+1:

5 Likes

Very nicely played, @John_E . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Iā€™ll listen to it a bit later, Iā€™m sure you did an awesome job as you always do.

2 Likes

@JerryP Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying Reaper! You did a nice job on this cover, stayed right in the groove did it justice. I only wish youā€™d have cranked up the bass a bit more. Have you discovered the Volume Envelope in Reaper yet?

P.S. Itā€™s so nice to see people continuing to post in the Post your Covers thread, despite the distraction of that first 50 songs contest thatā€™s going on.

4 Likes

You know, on my first take I thought the bass was too loud so I mixed it down. Not being at home where I have my studio monitors to listen to, itā€™s harder to get the right mix. I might re-post with the first take.
Thanks for your input.

3 Likes

OK, Letā€™s try this again. I re-mixed the audio as per @PamPurrs recommendation.
This is a favorite song of mine from the 80ā€™s supergroup The Traveling Wilburys. Iā€™m using my new Squire Classic Vibe 70ā€™s, Scarlett 2i2 DAI and Reaper DAW. Hope you all like it.

12 Likes

Very nice @JerryP I can hear the bass much better nowā€¦

5 Likes

Great job @JerryP.
Great song too!
Not often you get to play with a supergroup!
I love the diversity of music in this thread.

7 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs & @John_E! I might not have another cover on here for a while as I want to concentrate on a Talking Bass course I signed up for.
Thanks again.

5 Likes

The Scale Essential course you are taking is awesome. You will become a much better bass player as a result.

5 Likes